Automatic backups

Post by Jo?o Frade Correi » Tue, 08 Oct 1996 04:00:00

Hello all

I have a system that is:
SCO Unix ODT 3.0 System V release 4

I need to perform an automatic backup for some directories.
I thought I could write a script to perfom a 'tar xvf' to a tape drive,
and running it at 3.00 AM.
How do I run a script at a specific hour and without logging in?

Is there any free software that does what I want?

Thanks in advance

Automatic backups

Post by Jean-Pierre Radl » Tue, 08 Oct 1996 04:00:00

Jo=E3o Frade Correia propounded certain bytes, to wit:
| Hello all
|=20
| I have a system that is:
| SCO Unix ODT 3.0 System V release 4
|=20
| I need to perform an automatic backup for some directories.
| I thought I could write a script to perfom a 'tar xvf' to a tape drive,
| and running it at 3.00 AM.
| How do I run a script at a specific hour and without logging in?
|=20
| Is there any free software that does what I want?
|=20

See the man page for 'crontab'.

--=20

orum

Automatic backups

Post by Tim Ri » Tue, 08 Oct 1996 04:00:00

: Jo=E3o Frade Correia propounded certain bytes, to wit:
: | Hello all
: |=20
: | I have a system that is:
: | SCO Unix ODT 3.0 System V release 4
: |=20
: | I need to perform an automatic backup for some directories.
: | I thought I could write a script to perfom a 'tar xvf' to a tape drive,
                                                  ^^^^^^^
                                                 tar cvf
                                        (but you knew that, right?)
: | and running it at 3.00 AM.
: | How do I run a script at a specific hour and without logging in?
: |=20
: | Is there any free software that does what I want?
: |=20

: See the man page for 'crontab'.

: --=20

: orum
Tim Rice        Multitalents            707 887-1469

1. Automatic Backups -- or automatic in general. :)

I'd like my LinuxPPC system, running Kernel 2.2.18 (RedHat distribution) to
be able to do (incremental) backups on its own at 4:00AM, a la Restrospect
Express on the Mac side.  The preferred format of storage would be bzip2'd
tarballs, saved to either my CD-RW or a Zip250.

Is there any way to reliabaly do this?  I'm assuming I have to start up some
"infinite" process in the background during the startup phase.

Also, what kind of permissions would I need to access the Zip250/CD-RW for
*writing*?  Would a simple

        chmod g=rwx /dev/cdrw
        chgrp backup /dev/cdrw

work, and I could assign the backup process to group "backup"?  Or do
background processes usually run as ROOT?

TIA!

-patrick

--

http://www.tendim.cjb.net/
Like anime?   Got hotline?

2. read a tape with dd

3. automatic backups on a Solaris machine -- How?

4. Apache 1.2.5 Year 2000 Compliant

5. Automatic backup to tape

6. Svgalib and Trident 9440 problem

7. Making a automatic backup on a system always at use.

8. Libtools vs. ldconfig and scripts

9. Automatic backup

10. Jaz drive for automatic backup.

11. Automatic backup for SAMBA-shared files

12. automatic backup

13. Automatic backup on AFS