visionfs 3 and printing to hp deskjets

Post by Chris Anderso » Wed, 02 Feb 2000 04:00:00

I'm trying to set up printing to a hp deskjet printer that is attached
to a win95 box, without much success so far. I can create the printer,
and I modify the interface file so that it pipes the output through
visionfs to the printer, but the most I can get out of the printer is
the first line of the file I send to it.

I've tried different drivers at the win95 end (deskjet, generic/text)
and different interface files at the SCO end (crnlmap, standard,
hpdeskjet), but with no luck. Any other printer I set up works fine.

Any ideas as to what I am doing wrong, or where to go next?
--

Technical Services Analyst -- Beyond Software Pty. Ltd.
Phone: +61 3 9889 9911  Fax: +61 3 9889 9922

Post by Matt Schofiel » Wed, 02 Feb 2000 04:00:00

> I'm trying to set up printing to a hp deskjet printer that is attached
> to a win95 box, without much success so far. I can create the printer,
> and I modify the interface file so that it pipes the output through
> visionfs to the printer, but the most I can get out of the printer is
> the first line of the file I send to it.

> I've tried different drivers at the win95 end (deskjet, generic/text)
> and different interface files at the SCO end (crnlmap, standard,
> hpdeskjet), but with no luck. Any other printer I set up works fine.

> Any ideas as to what I am doing wrong, or where to go next?

I'm not sure but could it be stair stepping? If you print a job
containing shorter lines does it appear as:

line1
      line2
            line3

If so you need to remap UNIX CR-LF's to their DOS equivalent.

If your current print jobs contain a long first line it'll explain why
you only get that one line.

Regards

Matt Schofield
--
Return email address junked

Post by Chris Anderso » Thu, 03 Feb 2000 04:00:00

> > I'm trying to set up printing to a hp deskjet printer that is attached
> > to a win95 box, without much success so far. I can create the printer,
> > and I modify the interface file so that it pipes the output through
> > visionfs to the printer, but the most I can get out of the printer is
> > the first line of the file I send to it.

> > I've tried different drivers at the win95 end (deskjet, generic/text)
> > and different interface files at the SCO end (crnlmap, standard,
> > hpdeskjet), but with no luck. Any other printer I set up works fine.

> > Any ideas as to what I am doing wrong, or where to go next?

> I'm not sure but could it be stair stepping? If you print a job
> containing shorter lines does it appear as:

> line1
>       line2
>             line3

> If so you need to remap UNIX CR-LF's to their DOS equivalent.

> If your current print jobs contain a long first line it'll explain why
> you only get that one line.

That appears to be the what is happening; however (and I probably should
have mentioned this in the first place), what happens when I print to
the printer again is that I get a blank page, as if it is trying to pint
the next job off the side of the page, without actually returning to the
left hand side of the page, or resetting the printer. In any case, using
'crnlmap' as the printer model should fix this (it does every other time
I've used it). Any more thoughts?
--

Technical Services Analyst -- Beyond Software Pty. Ltd.
Phone: +61 3 9889 9911  Fax: +61 3 9889 9922
Web site: http://www.beyondsoftware.com.au/

visionfs 3 and printing to hp deskjets

Post by k.. » Fri, 04 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Not sure if this is an issue - what driver are you using on the SCO
end?  Or are you not?

I havn't set up vision to do print jobs yet, but I am using the print
services of Facetwin and found I needed to use the HpLaserJet driver
for a Hp Deskjet 870 and an 880.  I think this uses the PCL or standard
HP commands that the deskjets can understand also.

Kirk

> > > I'm trying to set up printing to a hp deskjet printer that is
attached
> > > to a win95 box, without much success so far. I can create the

printer,

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

visionfs 3 and printing to hp deskjets

Post by DMS » Thu, 17 Feb 2000 04:00:00

There are 2 scripts/patches available from the AP Lawrence website that have
helped us...try them both and see which works best.  The one is a standard
script and the other is for LaserJets, though I have used it successfully
with some DeskJets.
http://www.aplawrence.com/Unixart/visprint.shtml
http://www.aplawrence.com/Unixart/jprdiff.html

-Doug

1. HP DeskJet/HP JetDirect/SuSE53 printing question...

I'm using SuSE 5.3 (with apsfilter) and a HP OfficeJet 350.

When I connect the OfficeJet to the SuSE computer via parallel cable, and
use the 'deskjet' driver for apsfilter/gs it seems to work perfectly.

When I connect the OfficeJet to a HP JetDirectEX which is configured as a
TCP/IP device on my home network, after making the rm= and rp= changes in
/etc/printcap, now the OfficeJet prints raw postscript (whether I use the
'text' or 'raw' built-in queues in the JetDirect).

My printcap file contents is pasted below, any help will be appreciated!

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

### BEGIN apsfilter: ### deskjet letter mono 300 ###
#   Warning: Configured for apsfilter, do not edit the labels!
#            apsfilter setup Sun Jan 17 10:28:23 PST 1999
#
ascii|lp1|deskjet-letter-ascii-mono-300|deskjet letter ascii mono 300:\
        :lp=/dev/null:\
        :rm=officejet.incline.com:rp=text:\
        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/deskjet-letter-ascii-mono-300:\
        :lf=/var/spool/lpd/deskjet-letter-ascii-mono-300/log:\
        :af=/var/spool/lpd/deskjet-letter-ascii-mono-300/acct:\
        :if=/var/lib/apsfilter/bin/deskjet-letter-ascii-mono-300:\

        :sh:
#
lp|auto|lp2|deskjet-letter-auto-mono-300|deskjet letter auto mono 300:\
        :lp=/dev/null:\
        :rm=officejet.incline.com:rp=raw:\
        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/deskjet-letter-auto-mono-300:\
        :lf=/var/spool/lpd/deskjet-letter-auto-mono-300/log:\
        :af=/var/spool/lpd/deskjet-letter-auto-mono-300/acct:\
        :if=/var/lib/apsfilter/bin/deskjet-letter-auto-mono-300:\

        :sh:
#
raw|lp3|deskjet-letter-raw|deskjet letter raw:\
        :lp=/dev/null:\
        :rm=officejet.incline.com:rp=raw:\
        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/deskjet-letter-raw:\
        :lf=/var/spool/lpd/deskjet-letter-raw/log:\
        :af=/var/spool/lpd/deskjet-letter-raw/acct:\
        :if=/var/lib/apsfilter/bin/deskjet-letter-raw:\

        :sh:
#
### END   apsfilter: ### deskjet letter mono 300 ###

2. Who makes the best SCO telnet for Win95

3. HP Deskjet 722C and New HP Deskjet 882C (PC World 4/99)

4. Unix Porting Facility

5. Printing to HP Deskjet using TCP/IP printing on Win 2000 ?

6. XPaint memory leaks and other strange behaviour

7. printing to HP deskjet 600

8. How to redirect port to external server during DNS migration?

9. printing images to HP DeskJet on NT machine

10. printing with HP Deskjet 660C

11. Landscape printing by HP deskjet

12. HELP!!!HELP!!! printing with an HP Deskjet 660C

13. Help: printing for HP DeskJet 680c