Prob: SCO Swim Maint ???

Post by Peri Gee » Thu, 12 Feb 1998 04:00:00

I have the SCO Swim Maintenance program on my SCO Unix. I received
my first quarterly shipment last 97 July. It was 3.2v5.0.4

I am still running this same 3.2v5.0.4. However I see mention quite
often of upgrade patches 504a 504b 504c. Am I missing something?

The only shipment I have received since July is the SSL 1.1.5 which
they did not send me automatically, but I had to phone and request it
to be sent out last 97 Dec 20. (They told me it had been out awhile now).

Is anyone else having similar problems? I am starting to wonder
if one has to phone and request the quarterly shipments? I would
have thought that all the patches would be included in the quartley
shipments, AND that they would come as guaranteed.

I would like to compare with others what they are receiving.
Thanks

Prob: SCO Swim Maint ???

Post by Leonard Rosenberg J » Thu, 12 Feb 1998 04:00:00

I have the SCO Swim Maintenance program on my SCO Unix. I received

> my first quarterly shipment last 97 July. It was 3.2v5.0.4

> I am still running this same 3.2v5.0.4. However I see mention quite
> often of upgrade patches 504a 504b 504c. Am I missing something?

> The only shipment I have received since July is the SSL 1.1.5 which
> they did not send me automatically, but I had to phone and request it
> to be sent out last 97 Dec 20. (They told me it had been out awhile now).

> Is anyone else having similar problems? I am starting to wonder
> if one has to phone and request the quarterly shipments? I would
> have thought that all the patches would be included in the quartley
> shipments, AND that they would come as guaranteed.

> I would like to compare with others what they are receiving.
> Thanks

Yep we just got off the phone with SCO services/sales yelling at them
again since they short shipped us swims (we get all our clients swims
here so we send out the needed ones and install remotely)

they can't get the number correct even though their computer shows
correctly.

If I don't get it within the week the next call will be lawyer to lawyer
:-)

BTW there was a swim in jan/98 and in sept ??

as for patches you can wait for the swims or you can download them from
ftp.sco.com when they become available

Lenny

L. H. Rosenberg & Associates Inc.    | www: http://www.lhrasso.com
13010 Heil Manor Drive               | Fax: (410) 561-8056
Reisterstown MD 21136                | Voice (410) 252-2439
Providers of turnkey solutions in the Unix environment

Prob: SCO Swim Maint ???

Post by Leonard Rosenberg J » Thu, 12 Feb 1998 04:00:00

Hi Lenny,

> Download the patches????! ^!

> I know we can do this, but then why sign up for swim in the first
> place? The whole idea/concept was to never have to go searching for
> a patch. Swim is supposed to keep us up to date, not the other way
> around.

> >From what I gather, I have missed 2 runs. I have phoned 6 times since
> October now. I think they should extend my SWIM by 2 issues. I got a 2
> year deal. It is not turning out to be such a deal yet. Downloading is
> free so are we being ripped off? Maybe this is just us Canadians?

> I am starting to wonder, if we can download skunkware, patches, then
> perhaps it would be cheaper to just buy upgrades and just subscribe to
> the media SSL (which I have running on my machine).

> I too phoned this morning, they did not give me the Swim guy. They
> gave me a Stephen Rossie sales rep. I asked about the 504b and 504c. He
> said all those patches did was fix licensce problems that upgrades to
> 504 had been having. He said I was not missing anything. I told him that
> was not the what I was understanding from reading sco newsgroups. Often
> I notice on the newsgroups that Jean-Pierre R. often mentions that a problem
> is fixed in 504c. The previous times I phoned, I was told there had been no
> new issues. They even said there was not much different in SSL 114 and 115.
> That there was no real need for them to send it, that I was not missing
> anything. I told them that even so, then they had better send it.

> So, I too am p'd off. What is also irritating is that there is no spot
> on the www.sco.com site for SWIM, so one can check out what has been
> released  for the past year and when it was shipped. There are lots of
> news about patches and fixes in the support sections. But they never mention
> SWIM "is now shipping". It is as though they hope you won't find out or
> they hope you don't complain, so they keep it pretty quiet. They do however
> spend alot of time and money sending faxes at 01:00 a.m. about signing up
> for SWIM before the price increases!!!

> They should develop a posting of such a nature. We as a group, should be
> demanding it. In the meantime, perhaps we should create our own list of
> SWIM subscribers and keep ourselves posted on SWIM releases.

> --------------->>>
> I have a glossy sheet on SWIM:
> It states GUARANTEED x 4 updates / year. Your program year does not end
> until you have received all four CD-Roms. Quarterly CD-rom updates
> containing all upgrades,patches,drivers,plug-in software, including
> major OS upgrades.

> MORE HIGHLIGHTS:
> It states "SCO eliminates the frustration and uncertainty from
> maintaining your critical SCO systems". "What's more frustrating than
> chasing down a software problem,". "Everything you need is there, from
> minor patches to major upgrades" "If Sco has released it, it will be
> on your CD"

the reason for SWIM is updates and upgades to software !!!
for instance the last swim had the visionfs 2.0 upgrade
when the next major upgrade to SCO comes you get it also

thats why

as for 5.0.4c it fixes a hell of a lot more than license problems
so steve is wrong.

Its this type of BS from the sales types at the third party org that
drive you nuts

Lenny

L. H. Rosenberg & Associates Inc.    | www: http://www.lhrasso.com
13010 Heil Manor Drive               | Fax: (410) 561-8056
Reisterstown MD 21136                | Voice (410) 252-2439
Providers of turnkey solutions in the Unix environment

Prob: SCO Swim Maint ???

Post by Tom Parson » Thu, 12 Feb 1998 04:00:00

Leonard Rosenberg Jr enscribed:

| Hi Lenny,
| >
| > Download the patches????! ^!
| >
| > I know we can do this, but then why sign up for swim in the first
| > place? The whole idea/concept was to never have to go searching for
| > a patch. Swim is supposed to keep us up to date, not the other way
| > around.

How can you have a current system with quarterly updates, that could
mean you were a possible 5+ months behind.  Check the newsgroups
and when new patches are available, download them.

| > I too phoned this morning, they did not give me the Swim guy. They
| > gave me a Stephen Rossie sales rep. I asked about the 504b and 504c. He
| > said all those patches did was fix licensce problems that upgrades to
| > 504 had been having. He said I was not missing anything. I told him that
| > was not the what I was understanding from reading sco newsgroups. Often
| > I notice on the newsgroups that Jean-Pierre R. often mentions that a problem
| > is fixed in 504c. The previous times I phoned, I was told there had been no
| > new issues. They even said there was not much different in SSL 114 and 115.
| > That there was no real need for them to send it, that I was not missing
| > anything. I told them that even so, then they had better send it.

Totally wrong from start to finish.  rs504c which replaces rs504b has
been available since 30 October 1997 and makes major changes to several
areas including the Software Manager.  The latest SSL is 1.1.6.

As Lenny writes, the major advantage to one of these agreements is
upgrades to new software.

Prob: SCO Swim Maint ???

Post by Jean-Pierre Radle » Thu, 12 Feb 1998 04:00:00

Tom Parsons telecommunicated (on 11Feb):
| Leonard Rosenberg Jr enscribed:

| | > I too phoned this morning, they did not give me the Swim guy. They
| | > gave me a Stephen Rossie sales rep. I asked about the 504b and 504c. He
| | > said all those patches did was fix licensce problems that upgrades to
| | > 504 had been having. He said I was not missing anything. I told him that
| | > was not the what I was understanding from reading sco newsgroups. Often
| | > I notice on the newsgroups that Jean-Pierre R. often mentions that a problem
| | > is fixed in 504c. The previous times I phoned, I was told there had been no
| | > new issues. They even said there was not much different in SSL 114 and 115.
| | > That there was no real need for them to send it, that I was not missing
| | > anything. I told them that even so, then they had better send it.
|
| Totally wrong from start to finish.  rs504c which replaces rs504b has
| been available since 30 October 1997 and makes major changes to several
| areas including the Software Manager.  The latest SSL is 1.1.6.

How can this Stephen Rossie be re-educated, and if not re-educated, then
fired?

--

Prob: SCO Swim Maint ???

Post by Murray Hoop » Thu, 12 Feb 1998 04:00:00

Gents:

I too have purchased SWiM for a two year period.  I received the
original CD when I order SWiM in July 97 and haven't heard from anyone
since.
I too realize that patches, upgrades and advice are available on the
website, etc, but I thought the 2 year commitment was to be informed
if not early, then at least relatively soon after advancements had
been made to the environment.  Silly me, believing the SCO pitch yet
again.

murray

On Wed, 11 Feb 1998 22:05:00 GMT, Leonard Rosenberg Jr

>Hi Lenny,

>> Download the patches????! ^!

>> I know we can do this, but then why sign up for swim in the first
>> place? The whole idea/concept was to never have to go searching for
>> a patch. Swim is supposed to keep us up to date, not the other way
>> around.

>>Maybe this is just us Canadians?

>the reason for SWIM is updates and upgades to software !!!
>for instance the last swim had the visionfs 2.0 upgrade
>when the next major upgrade to SCO comes you get it also

>thats why

Prob: SCO Swim Maint ???

>> I am still running this same 3.2v5.0.4. However I see mention
quite
>> often of upgrade patches 504a 504b 504c. Am I missing something?

>Yep we just got off the phone with SCO services/sales yelling at
them
>again since they short shipped us swims (we get all our clients
swims
>here so we send out the needed ones and install remotely)

>Lenny

What did he miss?

http://www.ci.perryton.tx.us

Prob: SCO Swim Maint ???

Post by Ted B Dod » Fri, 13 Feb 1998 04:00:00

>I have the SCO Swim Maintenance program on my SCO Unix. I received
>> my first quarterly shipment last 97 July. It was 3.2v5.0.4
>Yep we just got off the phone with SCO services/sales yelling at
them
>again since they short shipped us swims (we get all our clients
swims
>here so we send out the needed ones and install remotely)
>BTW there was a swim in jan/98 and in sept ??
>as for patches you can wait for the swims or you can download them
from
>ftp.sco.com when they become available

For my own education, what are swims?
Where are they located at ftp.sco.com?
I have two product update contracts and I haven;t even received the
CDs that I used to get.

http://www.ci.perryton.tx.us

Prob: SCO Swim Maint ???

Post by Leonard Rosenberg J » Fri, 13 Feb 1998 04:00:00

> >> I am still running this same 3.2v5.0.4. However I see mention
> quite
> >> often of upgrade patches 504a 504b 504c. Am I missing something?

> >Yep we just got off the phone with SCO services/sales yelling at
> them
> >again since they short shipped us swims (we get all our clients
> swims
> >here so we send out the needed ones and install remotely)

> >Lenny

> What did he miss?

> http://www.veryComputer.com/

You missed half my message and He missed all of his swim

not only the patch  updates on cdrom and the SSL and the skunkware but
the upgrade to visionfs 2 and other updates

the real reason for swims are the software updates. Also he was
misinformed by SCO-Services/Sales (a subcontractor of SCO) as to what
the patches affected.

My fuse has gotton rather short on this issue (i think 6 months is long
enough to fix their*ups) and I am about to invoke my remidies
under the UCC (ie buy the updates at retail and backcharge SCO) ie non
conforming delivery

Lenny

L. H. Rosenberg & Associates Inc.    | www: http://www.veryComputer.com/
13010 Heil Manor Drive               | Fax: (410) 561-8056
Reisterstown MD 21136                | Voice (410) 252-2439
Providers of turnkey solutions in the Unix environment

Prob: SCO Swim Maint ???

Post by Leonard Rosenberg J » Fri, 13 Feb 1998 04:00:00

Quote:

> For my own education, what are swims?
> Where are they located at ftp.sco.com?
> I have two product update contracts and I haven;t even received the
> CDs that I used to get.

Patches have always been on ftp.sco.com

it's software upgrades that are important

swim is the Software Maint Agreement that gets you qtrly updates which includes
patches and any software upgrade that you purchased the swim for it is sent out
once a qtr by SCO and the cost varies depending on term and product

Lenny

L. H. Rosenberg & Associates Inc.    | www: http://www.lhrasso.com
13010 Heil Manor Drive               | Fax: (410) 561-8056
Reisterstown MD 21136                | Voice (410) 252-2439
Providers of turnkey solutions in the Unix environment

Prob: SCO Swim Maint ???

Post by Peri Gee » Sat, 14 Feb 1998 04:00:00

Anyone not receiving their SWIM Maintenance quarterly guaranteed
updates, ssl, enhancements and skunkware should email them about this
and STRONGLY COMPLAIN. Do not let them get away with this sort of
rip-off.  BE SURE TO ASK THEM TO Extend your subscription by at least
1 issue (assuming they send the 97 dec (ssl-116 series) set out
IMMEDIATELY, well before the ssl-117 series arrives). If they don't
comply and send it immediately, they will have to extend your subscription
by 2 series. SSL-117 should be out soon. 3 months (quarterly) goes by
very quickly.

I emailed them yesterday, (after a poor telephone reception
once again about the problem). I am waiting to hear back from them.

I notice that Murray Hooper purchased his last JULY 97, as I did. On my
invoice, the salesperson was listed with the initials TR . Is it
possible that others having the same problem had the same sales rep?

Is it possible for everone to give us a detailed of what we are
missing, and the dates of SWIM? It would nice to know all the goodies
that we are missing so we can be sure to ask for everything we are
entitled to.

This is what I have so far taken from the newsgroups, please add to the list.

1997 july: ssl-114;504a full load; product enhancements

1997 sep: ssl-115;504b update; + ???

1997 dec: ssl-116;504c update; + ???

SOON TO BE SHIPPED:
1998 mar: ssl-117; + ???

All I received since 1997 July (the ssl-114 set series) was a single
cd-rom ssl-115 WHICH I HAD TO PHONE AND REQUEST ON 1997 DEC 23.
Otherwise I would have received zero. They told me that was all there
was, so I believed them. But I have wised up alot. I am missing alot
more than what they want me to know about.

Do NOT let them get away with this.!!!

1. /boot from SCO maint Supplement causes reboot?

I was reinstalling SCO unix 3.2v4.0 on an HP NetServer (Adaptec 7770
SCSI controller, 1GB disk, SCSI cdrom, SCSI Travan minicart tape),
whose original filesystem had become corrupted. I reformatted the
disk, and started from scratch. Things seemed to be going smoothly, until
after I installed the Maintenance Supplement for SCO Unix (Release:
4.1.0d). I made one more change to the kernel (mkdev parallel), and then
rebooted. The system started booting, but when it got to the point
where it said "loading hd(40)unix  .bss", the screen suddenly flashed,
and showed the POST BIOS messages again: the system was rebooting.

I figured that perhaps something had gone wrong with the kernel,
and tried to load unix.old, then unix.preupdate (a kernel from
before the maintenance supplement was installed). It still kept
rebooting after reaching that ".bss" message.

After leaving it for the weekend, I tried (on a hunch) to boot up
with the SCO install diskette (N1), and load hd(40)unix. This
worked fine. Once I had the system booted, I mounted the install
floppy, and copied /boot from it. Oce I was satisfied that this
solved the problem, I then mounted the Maintenance Supplement
floppy, and noticed that the /boot file on there was the same
one which had been causing all my problems.

Why should /boot from the maint supp cause this problem? Is there
a hardware issue I should be aware of or did I just get bad disks?
(no disk errors while installing, though).

Thanks in advance,
David Silberstein,
Tech 7 Systems
(using Brian Stevenson's acct)

--

Public Access UNIX and Internet at (503) 220-1016 (2400-28800, N81)

2. NCSA/CGI/PERL problem

3. Prob with swim

4. Mandrake 8.2 ISDN help needed...

5. Probs with G++ and SWiM Motif 2.0

6. the Make program - a question

7. SCO Swim Maintenance Deliverables

8. ATAPI ZIP disk file corruption

9. SCO SWIM: I phoned

10. Prob dialing in on modem with SCO unix.

11. NCSA Web Server for SCO 5.0: GETMSG prob..

12. SCSI prob SCO 5.04

13. SCO OS5 install prob: no space on device 31/50