Using arrow keys with Pine and wyse50

Post by Chad D. Lemm » Thu, 04 Jan 1996 04:00:00

I'm using pine on SCO 3.2v4.2 with wyse50's and the arrow keys do not work
to move the highliter.  They work fine on my vt100 terminals, but not the
wyse. At first I got a message that said xon char recieved change preserve-
start-stop-characters.  I did that and now everthing works fine except I can't
use arrows.

Using arrow keys with Pine and wyse50

Post by Mike Jagdi » Fri, 05 Jan 1996 04:00:00

Chad D. Lemmen said

Quote:>I'm using pine on SCO 3.2v4.2 with wyse50's and the arrow keys do not work
>to move the highliter.  They work fine on my vt100 terminals, but not the
>wyse. At first I got a message that said xon char recieved change preserve-
>start-stop-characters.  I did that and now everthing works fine except I can't
>use arrows.

The Wyse 50 gives basic control codes for the arrow keys (^H, ^J, ^K, ^L)
and cannot be changed short of burning a new EPROM. (Yeah, I've seen
this done in the past :-) )

  Pine <= 3.91 is broken in that it doesn't look up terminal key sequences
in termcap/terminfo but has a number of ANSI/DEC sequences compiled in.
If your terminal doesn't use these you are stuffed.

  I have a version of pine for our customers which uses termcap/terminfo
for terminal key sequences (plus a *lot* of other fixes and enhancements).
I can send you patches or a binary if you like but it *isn't* pine
anymore and may not be upgradable to 3.92 when it comes out. I did send
patches to the pine guys but they don't talk about what they are doing :-(.

                                Mike

--
Here is wisdom. Let him that hath understanding count the number
of the beast: for it is the number of a man; and his number is

        Voice: +44 1734 890403     Fax: +44 1734 891192

1. How do I reprogram arrow keys on Link MC2 (in wyse50 mode)?

Why would you look for something else?  That is what the arrow keys
of a Wyse 50 terminal are supposed to send.

Those codes are the correct codes for the terminal to send to the
host, assuming that the host computer knows that it is supposed to
be talking to a Wyse 50.

In a full-duplex communication link (which is almost always the case
with Unix), if the cursor moves around after you hit a key, it is
because the host computer sent something back to the terminal after it
detected the pressing of the arrow key.  The arrow key does NOT have a
direct link to the display screen.

It appears that you are not correctly informing the Unix host computer
which termcap entry to use.

Look to your environment variable TERM and your shell variable "term".
(I don't know what your system does, but many Unixes automatically sync
these two....)

You may be interested to know that the helpful O'Reilly and Associates
book "termcap & terminfo" by Strang, Mui, and O'Reilly uses the Wyse
50 for most of its examples.  ISBN  0-937175-22-6  $22.00 (US).  It
contains good advice on this sort of problem.

If you want Wyse 50 mode, you don't want to do that.  If you want to
use some other mode,  you still need to have the terminal and the Unix
host in agreement about the terminal type.

 ##-##-##-##-##-##-##-##-##-##-##-##-##-##-##-##-##-##-##-##-##-##-##-##-##

You can visit Link Technologies on the World Wide Web at this URL:

    http://www.batnet.com/linktech/

and visit O'Reilly & Associates (publishers)

    http://www.ora.com

or view some archival terminal information

    http://www.cs.utk.edu/~shuford/terminal_index.html

 ##-##-##-##-##-##-##-##-##-##-##-##-##-##-##-##-##-##-##-##-##-##-##-##-##

--
 ...Richard S. Shuford  | "Do not rebuke a mocker or he will hate you; rebuke

 ...Info-Stratus contact|  man and he will be wiser still."  Proverbs 9:8 NIV

2. Creative CD200 + Linux ?

3. Scroll history using arrow keys in ksh

4. IP_MASQ: Telnet timeout

5. How to Display history command using arrow keys

6. ps: could not read kernal VM ....

7. KSH-Using arrows keys with command history in VI mode.

8. US-NM-Socorro Experienced UNIX Systems Administrator

9. Retrieving commands using up/down arrow keys in korn shell

10. Q:Using arrow keys in vi

11. Scroll History Using Arrow Keys

12. History in Bash using arrow keys

13. ksh: using arrow keys to cycle through previous commands