What/How do I get news via my UUCP feed (Sco OS 3.2)

What/How do I get news via my UUCP feed (Sco OS 3.2)

Post by Stephen Retzla » Fri, 26 Jan 1996 04:00:00

I have a UUCP feed for my mail. What do I need to add/change in SCO
Open Network Server to be able to use a windows based newsreader
to read off my SCO server.

Thanks in Advance

Post by Jean-Pierre Radle » Fri, 26 Jan 1996 04:00:00

Quote:Stephen Retzlaff writes:

> I have a UUCP feed for my mail. What do I need to add/change in SCO
> Open Network Server to be able to use a windows based newsreader
> to read off my SCO server.

First, you have to get a feed for news, not just mail...

--

Post by Stephen Retzla » Sat, 03 Feb 1996 04:00:00

>> I have a UUCP feed for my mail. What do I need to add/change in SCO
>> Open Network Server to be able to use a windows based newsreader
>> to read off my SCO server.
>First, you have to get a feed for news, not just mail...

I allready have that, The question is how do I use this to retrieve
and store newsgroups, So I can then use Agent, etc under windows
to read the groups stored on my SCO Box

Thanks

Stephen

Post by Jean-Pierre Radle » Sun, 04 Feb 1996 04:00:00

Stephen Retzlaff writes:

> >> I have a UUCP feed for my mail. What do I need to add/change in SCO
> >> Open Network Server to be able to use a windows based newsreader
> >> to read off my SCO server.

> >First, you have to get a feed for news, not just mail...

> I allready have that, The question is how do I use this to retrieve
> and store newsgroups, So I can then use Agent, etc under windows
> to read the groups stored on my SCO Box

You need to install either CNews or INN, which your newsfeed should be able
to supply.

--

1. news feeding via uucp cron job

Is there anything in the documentation on tin-1.22 and or SCO uucp
(Version 5.0.0) about what really must be run (and in which order)
to have a locally posted news article make it to the ISP which is
providing the news feed?

Is there any special setup the ISP must take to accept said article?
(After all the ISP provides the net feed for the group already)

OTH,  If this actually gets to the net then I may have already
solved the lack of information crisis.  My problem is the
documentation talks about all the wonderful trees (ie the setup
configuration files for both tin and uucp) but very very little
about the maintenance of the forest.  (ie how things really fit
together)

Fred

|  _-_|\   Frederick W. Myers     Voice ++61 (98) 512 119 |
| /     \  Diamond State Data Services                    |
| \*.-._/  187 Mondurup St Mt Barker WA 6324              |

2. unable to open /dev/console

3. UUCP-NEWS-MAIL-FAQ: Linux UUCP/News/Mail Frequently Asked Questions

4. spread sheet for solaris

5. CD-ROM writer and SCSI card

6. Read UFS formatted disk?

7. FAQ/Howto's to configure e-mail and news program for UUCP feed??