Best way to check success of ftp transfers

Best way to check success of ftp transfers

Post by Bill Cri » Thu, 25 Jul 1996 04:00:00

What I'm looking for is a way to get ftp to behave roughly the
same way that uucp does in regard to not being able to connect
to a system or not successfully transfering files. The only way
that I've found to do this so far is to scan the output of ftp
for "Transfer complete" and if it's not there have my script try
again later.
   Specifically what I'm trying to set up is a mirror site on a
machine that cannot ftp to the outside world. Imagine the machines
are named A, B, and C, and B can connect to both A and C, but A
and C can't connect to each other (it's a security thing). I'd
like to set up an incoming and outgoing pair of directories on B
where periodically B sends everything in the incoming directory
to A and clears the directory, and likewise sends everything in
the outgoing directory to C and clears the directory. I've no
problem with the basic scripts to do this, but before I clear the
directories I'd like to be sure the transfer(s) were successful.
   People must have to do this sort of thing all the time. What's
the usual method of monitoring ftp's file transfer status?

Thanks,
Bill Cripe