Exchausting resources...

Post by James R. Sulliva » Sat, 22 Nov 1997 04:00:00

> Hi all,

>         a Customer has an Compaq Proliant 2500 server with duel Pentium Pro
> 200, 256MB RAM, 8GB Raid 5 disks. Plenty of machine...  The version
> stuff is included on the end.

How much SWAP do you have?

Quote:> Anyway, on a couple occations the machine has stopped and rebooted (by
> the ASR in Compaq servers).  This causes 40 ioland processes to not
> terminate properly which in turn means that the ioland processes
> doesn't get started right when the machine boots.

> Looking on the logs from cpqmon show that this has happend twice.

> I believe this is do to exhausting resources, particulary the kernel
> tables as shown below and Streams (allthough streams are only at
> 15-20% of max):

Snip! - (they didn't make sense to me anyways...)

Quote:> Resource     actual total ovfl %used
> File table      551   682    0    80 ---------------------------------M
> Inode table     504  3481    0    14 -----M
> Lock table        2   128    0     1 M
> Region table    884  1066         82 ----------------------------------M
> Callout table
> Proc table      152   190    0    80 ---------------------------------M

According to this, none of these resources have overflowed/been
exhausted.  Since the Compaq ASR is forcing the system reboot
(an evil behaviour if you ask me), does it log anywhere why it thinks
it needs to re-boot the system?

Quote:> When trying to increase the amount of Files, procs etc. from
> scoadmin I am told that maximum values of these kernel tables
> are reached:

> MAX_PROC: maximum number of processes (systemwide).
> The value defaults to its maximum allowable.    New value is:

This indicates exactly what it means, they're assigned a default
value when they system boots.

Find out exactly why the system is rebooting.  Try to collect some
data (sar works) on the resource that you think is being exhausted.

--

----
Jim Sullivan           "Don't plant your bad days.  They grow into bad

416 216 4611

Exchausting resources...

Post by Joel William » Sun, 23 Nov 1997 04:00:00

I had a client on a Compaq Proliant 2000 with 3 66Mhz Pentium, 64MB,
netflex2, etc.  Compaq sells good stuff, but they're just a little too
proprietary.  We had the system shut itself down due to ASR, also.  I
called Compaq support and they said, turn off the ASR feature in Compaq
utilities.  They also said that there might be a problem with ASR if the
system is severely loaded, ASR might not get the 'keepalive' info that it
needs and assume there is a problem with the server and shutdown.  Also all
ASR events are logged in Compaq's utility partition.  You'll have to boot
to the utilities (F10 when system beeps and cursor goes to top right...see,
a little proprietary!) and find the ASR events area (I no longer remember
where it is!)  Anyway, we replaced the Compaq with a nice ALR 6x6 (white
hot power!) and now the Compaq is used at our office as a WinNT Server box.

Quote:> Hi all,

>    a Customer has an Compaq Proliant 2500 server with duel Pentium Pro
> 200, 256MB
> RAM, 8GB Raid 5 disks. Plenty of machine...  The version stuff is
> included on the end.

> Anyway, on a couple occations the machine has stopped and rebooted (by
> the ASR in Compaq servers).  This causes 40 ioland processes to not
> terminate properly which in turn means
> that the ioland processes doesn't get started right when the machine
> boots.
> Looking on the logs from cpqmon show that this has happend twice.

>    I believe this is do to exhausting resources, particulary the kernel
> tables
> as shown below and Streams (allthough streams are only at 15-20% of
> max):

[snip]

Exchausting resources...

Post by Tore H.Larse » Mon, 24 Nov 1997 04:00:00

> called Compaq support and they said, turn off the ASR feature in Compaq
> utilities.  They also said that there might be a problem with ASR if the

But the system isn't really that loaded yet. Max 110% on a this two
processor
system. (And that with some commands running as root which I will
priorites
down.)

But I believe I have found the problem (if I can trust Compaqs Insight
Manager). Insight Manager reports that the NIC is running at 100Mbit,
although
I find it strange it works at all on the customers one segmented
multiprotocol
Ethernet.  It has a lot of collisions (the customers says looking at the
Hub's).
From what I can see only the server we just installed has an unusual
high
frequency of TxD/RxD errors. Ratio 6/1.  The customer has told me that
they will
switch to a Switch to try to resolve the problems.

Quote:> system is severely loaded, ASR might not get the 'keepalive' info that it
> needs and assume there is a problem with the server and shutdown.  Also all
> ASR events are logged in Compaq's utility partition.  You'll have to boot

I hope the logging is better going in with F10 than with cpqutil->4.
Cause the
only thing I said was that it ASR was activated at time 'this and that'
twice.
Anyway, I can't access the machine setup since it's about 1000 miles
away. :)

Quote:> to the utilities (F10 when system beeps and cursor goes to top right...see,
> a little proprietary!) and find the ASR events area (I no longer remember
> where it is!)  Anyway, we replaced the Compaq with a nice ALR 6x6 (white
> hot power!) and now the Compaq is used at our office as a WinNT Server box.

Tore
--
Tore H. Larsen                          Scase AS
Engineer                                C. Sundtsgt. 51

Vc: +47-55550330  Fax: +47-55550331     Norway
Gsm/Sms: +47-91781069 Fax: +47-90271069