NEED Fax utility, 'C' library, or 'C' Source

NEED Fax utility, 'C' library, or 'C' Source

Post by Rick458 » Fri, 10 Oct 1997 04:00:00

We need to be able to create plain text files and then somehow fax them using a
 fax modem.  The solution can be either shareware, or commercial; binary, 'C'
 Library, or 'C' Source, as long as it works.

Thanks in advance
Rick Hill
Seasoft Micro
Houston, TX
713-665-4500

Post by Mark A. Davi » Fri, 10 Oct 1997 04:00:00

> We need to be able to create plain text files and then somehow fax them using a
>  fax modem.  The solution can be either shareware, or commercial; binary, 'C'
>  Library, or 'C' Source, as long as it works.

We have bgeen quite happy with Visi-Fax from V-Systems, although it can
be picky at times.  It is a commercial product.

There are several others too- like Faximum.  And there are some
shareware things too, but I can't remember them right now.

|   Mark A. Davis,  |Lake Taylor| Voice: (757)-461-5001x431 8-4:30ET |

|Information Systems|Norfolk, VA| from USENET remove anti-spam "yy." |

NEED Fax utility, 'C' library, or 'C' Source

Post by Malcolm Burt » Fri, 10 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>We need to be able to create plain text files and then somehow fax them
using a
> fax modem.  The solution can be either shareware, or commercial; binary,
'C'
> Library, or 'C' Source, as long as it works.

>Thanks in advance
>Rick Hill
>Seasoft Micro
>Houston, TX
>713-665-4500

I can strongly recommend a product called U-Fax from Beacon Computer
Services in the UK. You can reach them on +44 (0)1582 478888. Sorry, I don't
have email an address for anyone in their sales team but my contact in their

enquiries on.
--
Malcolm Burtt

Post by Steve Wert » Fri, 10 Oct 1997 04:00:00

>We need to be able to create plain text files and then somehow fax them using a
> fax modem.  The solution can be either shareware, or commercial; binary, 'C'
> Library, or 'C' Source, as long as it works.

Flexfax/Hylafax from sgi.com.  Free and precompiled.

-sw

Post by Gary Quiri » Sat, 11 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>We need to be able to create plain text files and then somehow fax them using a
> fax modem.  The solution can be either shareware, or commercial; binary, 'C'
> Library, or 'C' Source, as long as it works.

I have been using Digi-Fax.  It works well with text files and has a
converter to port PCL files. It's commercial and not expensive.

Gary Quiring

Post by Dave Park » Sat, 11 Oct 1997 04:00:00

>>We need to be able to create plain text files and then somehow fax them using a
>> fax modem.  The solution can be either shareware, or commercial; binary, 'C'
>> Library, or 'C' Source, as long as it works.

>I have been using Digi-Fax.  It works well with text files and has a
>converter to port PCL files. It's commercial and not expensive.

However, if you are using the DigiFAX board and NOT the software only,
please be aware that that product will soon become orphaned.  Also, be
aware that if you are planning on moving to Gemini, or UnixWare 2.x, that
the DigiFAX board has never worked under UnixWare 2.x.

I AM, however, using the DigiFAX software only (any one want to buy a
DigiFAX board?  I have one for sale cheap - and it's still under warranty,
although I'm not sure that the 'five-year' warranty actually MEANS anything,
given that for the last two years it has not worked on the machine that I
bought it for) on uw 2.1.2 - only the hardware fails to work (is not
supported) on uw 2.x.  I have no idea whether the DigiFAX software
will continue to be supported.
--

NEED Fax utility, 'C' library, or 'C' Source

Post by Nick Dudd » Sun, 12 Oct 1997 04:00:00

I use a product called TyuFax (VersaFax?) from Melbourne. Very flexable / reliable. I pipe text
files (statements) into a binary - they get faxed with  a TIFF overlay (I use it for a header
logo/address). Running through a RASTEL-4 (The guy who owned/started Stallion sold up and
started Moreton Bay Ventures who make this) it is very fast and very reliable. At 5:30 pm every
second friday some 2000 statements are sent out my fax.......it works.

> >>We need to be able to create plain text files and then somehow fax them using a
> >> fax modem.  The solution can be either shareware, or commercial; binary, 'C'
> >> Library, or 'C' Source, as long as it works.

> >I have been using Digi-Fax.  It works well with text files and has a
> >converter to port PCL files. It's commercial and not expensive.

> However, if you are using the DigiFAX board and NOT the software only,
> please be aware that that product will soon become orphaned.  Also, be
> aware that if you are planning on moving to Gemini, or UnixWare 2.x, that
> the DigiFAX board has never worked under UnixWare 2.x.

> I AM, however, using the DigiFAX software only (any one want to buy a
> DigiFAX board?  I have one for sale cheap - and it's still under warranty,
> although I'm not sure that the 'five-year' warranty actually MEANS anything,
> given that for the last two years it has not worked on the machine that I
> bought it for) on uw 2.1.2 - only the hardware fails to work (is not
> supported) on uw 2.x.  I have no idea whether the DigiFAX software
> will continue to be supported.
> --

NEED Fax utility, 'C' library, or 'C' Source

Post by Michael Hartg » Thu, 16 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Hello Rick,

maybe you should try HylaFax http://www.vix.com/hylafax/ ?

It`s very simple and powerful. The only problem i still have is faxing
files with epson-control-characters. I could not find a converter from
epson to postscript or tiff. If you know a solution, i would be very
happy to hear about it.

Michael

Post by Gert Doeri » Fri, 17 Oct 1997 04:00:00

>We need to be able to create plain text files and then somehow fax them using a
> fax modem.  The solution can be either shareware, or commercial; binary, 'C'
> Library, or 'C' Source, as long as it works.

Take a look at the free packages "hylafax" and "mgetty+sendfax".

Both come with C source and a number of shell scripts.  If you have a
C compiler, this will be the most flexible solution.

If you have no C compiler, you need to get binary distributions somewhere.
I know that binary distributions exist of Hylafax, but none are provided
(today) of mgetty+sendfax.

For both packages, look at:

ftp.leo.org://pub/comp/networking/communication/modem/{mgetty,hylafax}

gert
--
Yield to temptation ... it may not pass your way again!  --  Lazarus Long
                                                            //www.muc.de/~gert

Post by Tim Ric » Mon, 20 Oct 1997 04:00:00

: Hello Rick,

: maybe you should try HylaFax http://www.vix.com/hylafax/ ?

: It`s very simple and powerful. The only problem i still have is faxing
: files with epson-control-characters. I could not find a converter from
: epson to postscript or tiff. If you know a solution, i would be very
: happy to hear about it.

I got a cool epson to postscript filter off the net years ago.
It should do just what you want. Go to ftp.uu.net and grab
/usenet/comp.sources.misc/volume20/epsonps/part01.Z
/usenet/comp.sources.misc/volume20/epsonps/part02.Z

: Michael

: >We need to be able to create plain text files and then somehow fax them
: using a
: > fax modem.  The solution can be either shareware, or commercial;
: binary, 'C'
: > Library, or 'C' Source, as long as it works.

--
Tim Rice                        Multitalents            707 887-1469