Unix web browsers

Post by Brent Boli » Wed, 04 Dec 1996 04:00:00

Does anyone know of a good unix web browser?.  Had netscape installed, but the license
expired.  Not able to reinstall, it complaines about the activation key.

Mosaic is ok, but lacks popmail.  Also video acceleration is slow.

--
Brent T. Bolin

Unix web browsers

Post by Jerry Heym » Thu, 05 Dec 1996 04:00:00

: Does anyone know of a good unix web browser?.  Had netscape installed, but
: the license expired.  Not able to reinstall, it complaines about the
: activation key.

: Mosaic is ok, but lacks popmail.  Also video acceleration is slow.

Netscape is available from ftp.netscape.com - you need to go the unsupported
directories to find it for SCO though.  Not sure why its in unsupported...

: --
: Brent T. Bolin

jerry
--

Combat System Simulation                   | http://www.arlut.utexas.edu/~jerry
Applied Research Laboratories of UT Austin | "Software is the difference

Unix web browsers

Post by Brent Boli » Thu, 05 Dec 1996 04:00:00

> Jerry Heyman's CPU sent forth this bytestream:

> | : Does anyone know of a good unix web browser?.  Had netscape installed, but
> | : the license expired.  Not able to reinstall, it complaines about the
> | : activation key.
> |
> | : Mosaic is ok, but lacks popmail.  Also video acceleration is slow.
> |
> | Netscape is available from ftp.netscape.com - you need to go the unsupported
> | directories to find it for SCO though.  Not sure why its in unsupported...

> Why would you do that, when you can go to www.sco.com, and get Netscape 3.0
> from a SCO site?
> Netscape was installed from www.sco.com.  The 90 day license ran out.  Can't install

again as the license manger complains about the activation key.  Don't know why.

--
Brent T. Bolin

Unix web browsers

Post by John Prideau » Fri, 06 Dec 1996 04:00:00

> Jerry Heyman's CPU sent forth this bytestream:

> | : Does anyone know of a good unix web browser?.  Had netscape installed, but
> | : the license expired.  Not able to reinstall, it complaines about the
> | : activation key.
> |
> | : Mosaic is ok, but lacks popmail.  Also video acceleration is slow.
> |
> | Netscape is available from ftp.netscape.com - you need to go the unsupported
> | directories to find it for SCO though.  Not sure why its in unsupported...

> Why would you do that, when you can go to www.sco.com, and get Netscape 3.0
> from a SCO site?

Because the one from Netscape's site is not a time-limited evaluation copy.
BTW, if you call Netscape about the version on www.sco.com, they will tell
you that "You got it from SCO, you get support from SCO."

Regards,
John Prideaux

Unix web browsers

Post by Jean-Pierre Radl » Fri, 06 Dec 1996 04:00:00

John Prideaux's CPU sent forth this bytestream:

| > Jerry Heyman's CPU sent forth this bytestream:

| > | : Does anyone know of a good unix web browser?.  Had netscape installed, but
| > | : the license expired.  Not able to reinstall, it complaines about the
| > | : activation key.
| > |
| > | : Mosaic is ok, but lacks popmail.  Also video acceleration is slow.
| > |
| > | Netscape is available from ftp.netscape.com - you need to go the unsupported
| > | directories to find it for SCO though.  Not sure why its in unsupported...
| >
| > Why would you do that, when you can go to www.sco.com, and get Netscape 3.0
| > from a SCO site?
| >

| Because the one from Netscape's site is not a time-limited evaluation copy.
| BTW, if you call Netscape about the version on www.sco.com, they will tell
| you that "You got it from SCO, you get support from SCO."

So who supports the one in the 'unsupported' directory on netscape.com?

--

Unix web browsers

Post by John Prideau » Fri, 06 Dec 1996 04:00:00

> John Prideaux's CPU sent forth this bytestream:

> | > Jerry Heyman's CPU sent forth this bytestream:

> | > |
> | > |

> | > Why would you do that, when you can go to www.sco.com, and get Netscape 3.0
> | > from a SCO site?
> | >

> | Because the one from Netscape's site is not a time-limited evaluation copy.
> | BTW, if you call Netscape about the version on www.sco.com, they will tell
> | you that "You got it from SCO, you get support from SCO."

> So who supports the one in the 'unsupported' directory on netscape.com?
> No one does. But I use the browser on my home system, where I have no support

contract anyway. I am not likely to be interested in paying several times the
cost of the browser for a support contract, either. For a home user, the supported
SCO version does not offer sufficient benefit for the cost (IMHO). It's simply
a matter of what I feel works for me. Anyone who needs a "commercial" SCO
version should most certainly get it from www.sco.com.

Regards,
John Prideaux

1. LINKS-Browser as Frontend for Automation, was: Embedded Linux Web Browsers

Hello,

some weeks ago there was a discussion about Embedded Linux Web Browsers.
I told you, that I would take LINKS
(http://atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~clock/twibright/links/), but it had a
drawback, that Javascript could not be executed automatically.
There is a option in the latest release (2.1pre10) now, where they fixed
this (thanks to the programmers).

Now it is possible to use this browser as frontend:

As the meta-refresh tag is not recognized, a refresh must be done by adding
the following java script (I tested it with MS IE, Mozilla, Konqueror,
Links):

<head>
<script>
setTimeout("window.location.replace('URL')",2000)
</script>

URL is the new source, 2000 (ms) is for 2 seconds.

When the script is executed, the user is asked, if he wants to do so. This
can be changed in the settings.

A nice feature is, that one can adjust the number of retries. If the
automation server crashed and the program is restarted, LINKS therefore just
retries to get a web page without stopping the polls. You only have to
ensure, that every page contains the setTimeout().

The size of the browser seems to be 2 to 4 MBytes (depending on ./configure)
and up to 8 MBytes, if everything is linked statically.

Greetings
Ernst

2. Ethernet card

3. any prob with Web browser reading Unix symbolic link

4. unable to access solaris 9 from outside of network ...

5. Graphic WEB Browser for SCO UNIX

6. Segmentation Fault

7. Java based web browser authoring on UNIX

8. Using CVSup to update system

9. java based web browser authoting on UNIX

10. I can ping my web server but can't open page in web browser

11. X-Web: Linux and X apps in a web browser

12. How to measure response time between web browser and web server ?

13. X Web: Broadway Web Browser Plugin