Anybody took a look at the Unix source code from SCO?

Anybody took a look at the Unix source code from SCO?

Post by Gunnar Beushause » Fri, 22 May 1998 04:00:00

Hello!

I'm wondering if anybody here has taken a look at the ancient Unix
source code made available by SCO. I would like to know if any of these
source code packages are running on Intel CPU's?

--
---
Gunnar Beushausen

http://www.hof.net/~gbasic

Anybody took a look at the Unix source code from SCO?

Post by James MacDonal » Fri, 22 May 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>I'm wondering if anybody here has taken a look at the ancient Unix
>source code made available by SCO. I would like to know if any of these
>source code packages are running on Intel CPU's?

AFAIK they are 'Ancient' releases; so whilst they will probably run on
the x86, you'd need some esoteric hardware to use them (ST506 drive
controllers etc.) - it's a bit like wanting to run Xenix on a P2: you
can do it, but you can't do everything OOTB.

BTW: I think that the reason SCO have released this source this late is
that it must have taken them about 10 years to professionally restore it
- i.e. clean off all the Jolt stains :)
--
UNIX - Saving you from the Gates of Hell.

Post by Bela Lubki » Sat, 23 May 1998 04:00:00

> I'm wondering if anybody here has taken a look at the ancient Unix
> source code made available by SCO. I would like to know if any of these
> source code packages are running on Intel CPU's?

SCO is not selling source code at all.  What SCO is selling is licenses
to use that source code.  The source code itself is available from the
PDP-11 Preservation Society of Australia.  Unfortunately, I can see from
some quick exploration at http://www.sco.com/offers/ancient_unix.html
that this point is not made clear.

Furthermore, the source code which is licensed under this scheme is for
old versions of Unix that run only on PDP-11's (and possibly, I'm not
sure, one version for VAX-11's).

Quote:>Bela<