SCO Open Server Release 5.02!

Post by Mirko Pikal » Wed, 15 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Hi !

I am a newcomer to this group from DOS world!

I have big troubles to install SCO Unix5.02 (two diskettes and 1 CD) on PC
(Pentium). I have Hitachi CD-ROM drive attached to IDE controller. The
CD-ROM is not detected (only SCSI CDROM is listed), so the installation must
be aborted.  How can I make installation diskettes from CD on DOS computer?
What is the solution? Where I can get an appropriate driver? Or should I
find somebody with running version to make installation diskettes?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Mirko Pikalo

SCO Open Server Release 5.02!

Post by gerald clar » Wed, 15 Jul 1998 04:00:00

> Hi !

> I am a newcomer to this group from DOS world!

> I have big troubles to install SCO Unix5.02 (two diskettes and 1 CD) on PC
> (Pentium). I have Hitachi CD-ROM drive attached to IDE controller. The
> CD-ROM is not detected (only SCSI CDROM is listed), so the installation must
> be aborted.  How can I make installation diskettes from CD on DOS computer?
> What is the solution? Where I can get an appropriate driver? Or should I
> find somebody with running version to make installation diskettes?

> Thanks for any suggestions!

> Mirko Pikalo

It uses the scsi interface with the 'wd' controller. The device and LUN
depend on where the
CD is connected. Device 0 for primary an 1 for secondary.
LUN 0 for Master 1 for Slave.
Don't bother though. You should be using 5.04 which is much better at
handling IDE CD drives.
It also includes the linker, Libraries, and include files if you want to
use gcc ( which is
free and is IMO better than cc).
--
Remove the -bogus- portions of my return address!

SCO Open Server Release 5.02!

Post by Marnus van Nieker » Thu, 16 Jul 1998 04:00:00

See the section in the installation manual on
installing from an ATAPI cdrom!

--

Marnus van Niekerk
    (B.Sc., SCO ACE)

Quote:>Hi !

>I am a newcomer to this group from DOS world!

>I have big troubles to install SCO Unix5.02 (two diskettes
and 1 CD) on PC
>(Pentium). I have Hitachi CD-ROM drive attached to IDE
controller. The
>CD-ROM is not detected (only SCSI CDROM is listed), so the
installation must
>be aborted.  How can I make installation diskettes from CD
on DOS computer?
>What is the solution? Where I can get an appropriate
driver? Or should I
>find somebody with running version to make installation
diskettes?

>Thanks for any suggestions!

>Mirko Pikalo

SCO Open Server Release 5.02!

Post by Jeff Lieberma » Thu, 16 Jul 1998 04:00:00

On Tue, 14 Jul 1998 22:59:46 +0200, "Mirko Pikalo"

>I am a newcomer to this group from DOS world!

Welcome back from the dark side.

Quote:>I have big troubles to install SCO Unix5.02 (two diskettes and 1 CD) on PC
>(Pentium). I have Hitachi CD-ROM drive attached to IDE controller. The
>CD-ROM is not detected (only SCSI CDROM is listed), so the installation must
>be aborted.  How can I make installation diskettes from CD on DOS computer?
>What is the solution? Where I can get an appropriate driver? Or should I
>find somebody with running version to make installation diskettes?

The current version of Open Server is 3.2v5.0.4.  There were many
problems dealing with IDE in 3.2v5.0.2 that were fixed.  I
scribbled some of them at:
        http://www.cruzio.com/~jeffl/sco/ide.htm
Basically, you tell the install that you have a SCSI cdrom drive
and give it some bogus numbers that identify where you have it
plugged in.  If this is your first attempt at "learn by
destroying", methinks it would be best to start over and use
3.2v5.0.4 (with updates) which has many more internet goodies and
fixes.

However, the cdrom drives have been getting faster and faster
resulting in some install problems due to timeout and such.  See:
        http://www.sco.com/cgi-bin/ssl_getsupplement?oss478
If you have a 24X IDE cdrom or faster that hangs or panics on
installation, use it.

Also look at my mess at:
        http://www.cruzio.com/~jeffl/sco
and see if anything looks useful.