HELP: Need to write a disk file to tape.

HELP: Need to write a disk file to tape.

Post by FrankMus » Sun, 23 Jun 1996 04:00:00

Help:

Does anyone know how I can write a file on the disk to and internal 1/4"
Tape Drive. I am working for a customer that has one in their unit. We
have used JTape, but that will only go to a QIC type tape cartridge.

I would like to be able to write a file for example callet P-TEST to the
internal tape drive. Similar to the doswrite -x command that will send it
to the floppy drive...

Anyone that can help???  You would be much the lifesaver.
If so, please respond to:

        or

Thank you so much in advance for any assistance.
Frank

Post by Greg Haye » Tue, 25 Jun 1996 04:00:00

>Help:

>Does anyone know how I can write a file on the disk to and internal 1/4"
>Tape Drive. I am working for a customer that has one in their unit. We
>have used JTape, but that will only go to a QIC type tape cartridge.

>I would like to be able to write a file for example callet P-TEST to the
>internal tape drive. Similar to the doswrite -x command that will send it
>to the floppy drive...

>Anyone that can help???  You would be much the lifesaver.
>If so, please respond to:

>        or

>Thank you so much in advance for any assistance.
>Frank

man dd

e.g. dd if=aaa of=/dev/mt0 bs=20000 etc.
--
Greg Hayes
MD Hayford Systems Ltd

1. Need help writing C program using UNIX system calls (read, write, etc) that copies files

I need to write a c program that will perform like the cp command in UNIX
and copy one file to another. I need to use the UNIX system calls read(),
write(), open(), close(). I know how to open the source file for read access
and destination file for write access with open(), but I am unsure of how to
use read() and write().

I know read takes my file descriptor (fd) of the source file I opened as its
1st arguement. For the second, I need to put those bytes in some sort of
buffer right? Could I just write them directly to the destination file
instead of storing into a buffer? Well if I have to make a buffer for input
I read in I do this:

c = (char *) calloc(100, sizeof(char));

Is that right? If I do this will it work for all files whether they are
binary or ascii files?

The 3rd arg of read() takes in how many  bytes to read, how do I tell it to
read in the entire source file?

So for read, this is what I have so far: read(fd, c, ????) where fd is my
source file descriptor and c as define above.

As for write, I have: write(fd2, ???, ???) where fd2 is the file descriptor
of my destination file. How do I specify it to write what I read from the
input source file and write all of those bytes inputted? Thanks for any
help.

2. Help with sed

3. Help: Driver to make tape drive look like write once disk

4. Kernel Panic

5. Help Needed: Writing NetBSD Boot tape

6. Student learning Java

7. Help Needed: Writing NetBSD boot tape

8. funky x problem

9. Need Help Writing to Tape

10. Need help with writing variable length records to a tape on a Sun machine

11. Need help with Writing variable length records to tape on a SUN Machine

12. Need Help with writing variable length records to tape on a SUN Machine

13. using 14gb 8mm tape drive to write tapes for 2gb tape drive