printer device NOT show up when add new printer

printer device NOT show up when add new printer

Post by Deepa » Thu, 15 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Did you try deinstalling and reinstalling the printer?

Deepak

Post by Andrew Smallsha » Fri, 16 Oct 1998 04:00:00

> Dear all,

> When adding a new printer in SCO openserver 5.0.4., the printer device name
> is not showing with lpstat -t. While it works fine until you restart the
> spooler, the printer just disappears. We used lpadmin -p name -v /dev/ttyxxx
> to add the printer.

> Since the system got a power failure and been cut down abnormally last week,
> it happened. Before power failure NO such kind of problems. Any ideas to fix
> it without whole system reload??

There is no printer device as such.  There is the configuration of lp to tell it
about the new printer, and the device is the _port_ the printer is attached to.
Do you still have that device working (try date > /dev/???? as root), or has is
it no longer in the kernel or with no special file??

--
Andrew Smallshaw

printer device NOT show up when add new printer

Post by Phil » Fri, 16 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Any ideas?
lpstat runs through about 5 of our 10+ printers defined in our
printcap and then memory faults.
there all remote printers too.

Anyone?

1. printer port not showing - adding new port

I have two problems, both related to printer ports.

#1. Just installed RH 6.1 on a clone box - install went fine EXCEPT it did
not see a known working onboard printer port. Works fine from DOS (RH is the
only OS on the box, had to boot from floppy to test). So, how do I get this
port to be recognized and/or force fed to RH? I am new to Linux, but this
isn't a production machine, yet. So I can dink with it and make it happen.

#2. Similar to above, except  we took delivery of a new DELL server with
RH6.1 preinstalled. Again, works like a champ. However, I added a second
printer port card, ISA set at IRQ 5, I/O at 278.  Kudzu did not see it.
Onboard printer port works fine and prints just great to a Lexmark laser
running the HP4 drivers. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Yusuf

2. Tuesday 13 March The Linux Society Meeting: Installing Debian

3. Can't add printer from scoadmin printer

4. >>>Entrepreneurs Needed<

5. Add Printer using CUPS web interface- View Printer in OpenOffice Delayed, Why?

6. Btrieve for LINUX?

7. Printer drivers for new printers

8. Server not viewable (other than locally)

9. lpstat -v does not show all printers

10. PDF Coverter printer not showing up in OpenOffice

11. lpstat not showing all printers

12. problem: printer not showing any interrupts

13. Scoadmin not show printer