breaking passwords

Post by joe mc co » Thu, 04 Dec 1997 04:00:00

> I have a problem! Some of the idiots I work with think it's funny to put
> a password on other people's computer. Is there any way to break these
> passwords? I hate trying to get them to tell what it is.  I know when we
> were in college they had a program that would do it but I can't seem to
> find that either, and I'm sick of locking the computer up every time I
> have to walk away. Any help would be appreciated.

Rob the idiots of rights to the password program.  They should not have
root privileges.

--
joe mc cool
remove ns from signature                The more you say the less the better.

Benburb                               compuserve: 100117,2613
N. Ireland                            voice     : (044) 861 548074
BT71 7LN                              fax       : (044) 861 549860

breaking passwords

Post by Jeff Lieberma » Fri, 05 Dec 1997 04:00:00

: I have a problem! Some of the idiots I work with think it's funny to put
: a password on other people's computer. Is there any way to break these
: passwords? I hate trying to get them to tell what it is.  I know when we
: were in college they had a program that would do it but I can't seem to
: find that either, and I'm sick of locking the computer up every time I
: have to walk away. Any help would be appreciated.

The program is called "crack".  I use version 4.5

If you can identify the idiots and have root access, change
*THEIR* passwords for them.  You will have the other users
passwords delivered to you on a silver platter.

If you're in a hurry, restore /etc/passwd /etc/shadow and
/tcb/files/auth/?/user_name  from a previous backup tape
to put things back the way they were.  There may be some
side effects in the C2 crud in  /tcb/files/auth  so run
        fixmog
to clean up the mess.

Walking away from a computer, while logged in as root, is
not a good idea especially in your apparently unfriendly
environment.  However, it's not clear if your "idiots" have
the root password.  If they do, any attempt to manage local
security will be futile.

--
# Jeff Liebermann  Liebermann Design  150 Felker St #D  Santa Cruz  CA  95060

# 408.699.0483 digital_pager    73557,2074  cis [don't]

breaking passwords

Post by Udo Mu » Sat, 06 Dec 1997 04:00:00

: I have a problem! Some of the idiots I work with think it's funny to put
: a password on other people's computer. Is there any way to break these
: passwords? I hate trying to get them to tell what it is.  I know when we
: were in college they had a program that would do it but I can't seem to
: find that either, and I'm sick of locking the computer up every time I
: have to walk away. Any help would be appreciated.

The program you want is crack, but if your coworkes didn't use passwords
one should avoid you'll need like 100,000 years to break the passwords.
What you should do is using passwords your self, which can't be easy
guessed by others. All your coworkers are doing is telling you, that
you're doing something wrong. I don't know anything about your work
place, but it might be that you compromise the whole network with a
machine without passwords.
--
Udo Munk - http://www.umnet.de/
No working email address provided in newsgroups anymore, sorry for the

breaking passwords

Post by Steve Wert » Sat, 06 Dec 1997 04:00:00

>: I have a problem! Some of the idiots I work with think it's funny to put
>: a password on other people's computer. Is there any way to break these
>: passwords? I hate trying to get them to tell what it is.  I know when we
>: were in college they had a program that would do it but I can't seem to
>: find that either, and I'm sick of locking the computer up every time I
>: have to walk away. Any help would be appreciated.

I'm not sure this is a SCO question.  I read it to be a W95 or NT question,
possibly connecting to an SCO system?

I just don't see a Unix system set up *not* to use passwords.  But then
again, this doesn't appear to be a very serious enviornment you work in.
Even if there were no passwords, I sure wouldn't give them a shell prompt,
but drop them directly into some app and only that app, with a restricted
shell.

If this really is a *UNIX* password problem, then just assign passwords
to everybody;  End of problem.

I think people are assigning W95/NT passwords to the actual computers
rather than to any specific SCO user accounts.  At least that's the way
I read this.

If this post is in good faith, well, I'd be having a fit of moderate
magnitude at your place of "work".

-sw

breaking passwords

Post by John W. Templ » Sun, 07 Dec 1997 04:00:00

>>: I have a problem! Some of the idiots I work with think it's funny to put
>>: a password on other people's computer.
>I'm not sure this is a SCO question.  I read it to be a W95 or NT question,
>possibly connecting to an SCO system?

I read it as "people are putting BIOS passwords on the computers."
Windows 95 passwords don't actually stop anyone, so I don't think
that's the issue.  If he's actually referring to BIOS passwords, there
are master passwords that will override any AMI BIOS password, but I'm
not sure about other BIOSes.
--
John W. Temples, III       ||       Providing the first public access Internet
Gulfnet Kuwait             ||            site in the Arabian Gulf region

1. are online companies breaking password manager?

My credit card company's online login page changed in
design recently and now I have to manually type
my username and password into the form to get in.
Mozilla Password manager will not fill in the
form.  Since the new designed page is on a different
URL, I deleted the old entry from password manager
thinking mozilla would query for adding the
new URL as a login form, this never happened and
I have to type the login in.  I'm thinking that
the new design hides the "user id" and "password"
strings as a small image so mozilla can't recognize
it's a login form?  How else would this happen?
I'm guessing banking companies have decided they
don't like Password managers.
I'm using mozilla 1.7.12 on Fedora core 4

Mark

2. Apache and limiting SSI

3. (fwd) Re: Break Password

4. FREE: Full Doc Sets for Solaris 2.4 and SunOS 4.1.1

5. Make broken, top broken, flock errors, kernel modules broken

6. RedHat 7.0 on Toshiba Satellite Pro 4320

7. 2.5: ieee1394 still broken, vesafb still broken, ipv6 still broken

8. X now crashes system when cpu upgraded

9. Can't set root password- Password busy error -is not due to temp password file

10. keep password feature broken

11. regarding password break

12. Breaking into Solaris 2.6 (lost root password) [yes, again]

13. Shadow password calls (getspnam) broke in OSR5 ?