sendmail stores all messages in sendmail.log?

sendmail stores all messages in sendmail.log?

Post by Jim Valavani » Thu, 07 Aug 1997 04:00:00

Hello again everybody,

I'm running sendmail 8.8.5 on SCO OSR 5.0.2.

The sendmail log file (/var/adm/sendmail.log) is storing all my messages
and is kind of annoying having to clear the log file every day or so.

I changed the line in /usr/lib/sendmail.cf

# log level
OL9

to OL1.

Don't have a sendmail guide and thought this would minimize my logs and
only report errors in the sendmail.log file.

It did not seem to work though.  Everything that is sent out is still
stored in this file.

Any suggestions on how to stop storing all messages in the log?

TIA,

Jim

  \   Kessler/Asher Group at     |   phone (312)786-4779         /
   \  the CBOE                   |   fax (312)786-4776          /
    ______  _______  _________       __        __       ______
   / ____/ /__  __/ /___  ___/      / /       / /      / ____/
  / /        / /       / /  _____  / /       / /      / /
 / /____  __/ /__     / /  /____/ / /_____  / /____  / /____
/______/ /______/    /_/         /_______/ /______/ /______/

sendmail stores all messages in sendmail.log?

Post by Jean-Pierre Radle » Thu, 07 Aug 1997 04:00:00

Jim Valavanis telecommunicated:

| I'm running sendmail 8.8.5 on SCO OSR 5.0.2.
|
| The sendmail log file (/var/adm/sendmail.log) is storing all my messages
| and is kind of annoying having to clear the log file every day or so.

Use the force, man!  In this case, cron.

There are a lot of logs besides that one, and my solution is to run the
public domain prune program out of cron every week, which trims files
from the top of the file, on a \n between lines.

My list of candidates in /etc/default/prune (values are kilobytes
to which to chop):

/u/spool/uucp/Debug             100
/u/spool/uucp/Log               100
/u/spool/uucp/Stats             100