Banging my head on a NON FS problem

Post by Mike Gree » Thu, 23 Jul 1998 04:00:00

I have recently been working on setting up an external RAID array to be
accessable from two different machines.  The logical raid drive is 72
gig and plugs directly into a scsi port on the machine - all drives and
controller are contained within the actual raid box.

I have no problems running mkdev hd and creating the device files,
relinking the kernel, running divvy and creating the htfs filesystem.
Performance is great, no problems.

HOWEVER!  We have purchased this raid system to be able to use it as a
rudimentary clustering implementation.  If box A goes down for some
reason, plug the raid into box B and carry on.  Easier said than done.

Whenever I run the mkdev hd on the second box after the filesystem had
already been created on the the first box, the original htfs division
always comes up as NON FS.  I am running Openserver 5.0.4 on both
boxes.  Box A is a dual Pentium Pro 200, half gig of ram, one adaptec
2940 adapter, one adaptec 3940 dual channel adapter.  Box B is a dual
Pentium Pro 400, half gig of ram, one adaptec 3940 dual channel
adapter.  The raid box is plugged into the first channel of the 3940 on
either box.

I can create the drive on either box from scratch, I just can't mount
the drive on the other box after creating the filesystems on the
opposite box.  When I run mkdev hd it sees the drive and divisions, I
make no changes except for naming division 0 and division 7 so that they
are the same on both boxes.  Divsion 0 is the htfs filesystem and is
named sdb0, division 7 is the whole disk and I name it raid0.  I have
followed the directions found on the SCO technical document "How do I
add a scsi disk that I want to keep the data".

My first inclination is to do something I have done in linux in the
past, change the filesystem tag to the type that specifies htfs - but
have found no way to do this with SCO.

If anyone can shed any light on what is going on here I would greatly
appreciate it.  Particularly on a workable solution!

Thanks in advance.

Banging my head on a NON FS problem

Post by Bill Vermilli » Thu, 23 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>I have recently been working on setting up an external RAID array to be
>accessable from two different machines.  The logical raid drive is 72
>gig and plugs directly into a scsi port on the machine - all drives and
>controller are contained within the actual raid box.
>HOWEVER!  We have purchased this raid system to be able to use it as a
>rudimentary clustering implementation.  If box A goes down for some
>reason, plug the raid into box B and carry on.  Easier said than done.

There are companies that offer solutions for this.  1776 is one
that I recall.  It does automatic failover switching.  There are
others out there that do this too.  I think it might make life a
bit simpler.

1. *bang* *bang* - the sound of my head hitting the monitor

I am trying to set up printing on a slackware box. In the past,
I've used Red Hat and Mandrake versions of Linux and there's been
a program that is quite helpful in setting up printing to network
connected printers... something like printconf, lpconfig,
something like that...

Could someone tell me if there's a comparable program in
Slackware? If not, how do you set up a Slackware box to print to a
network printer? It's an HPLJ4P with an assigned TCP/IP address. A
pointer to a FAQ that I could bookmark for future reference would
be greatly appreciated.

kb.

kbarnes at alumni dot jmu dot edu

2. Tab in bash versus tcsh

3. Hardware flow control problem (banging head against brick wall)

4. XFree86 4 Question...

5. Tape backup utilities: Banging my head agains the wall.

6. Major system corruption???!!!

7. Head Hurts from Banging Against Wall

8. MkLinux listserv?

9. head-banging hard drive - any help?

10. banging head with x-win32 connection

11. Kyocera FS 1600 or FS 1600+ Printer drivers ( FS-1600 FS-1600+)

12. divvy / NON FS / filesystem problem

13. dual-head xfree86 4.0 crashes: softbooting non-matrox cards