3.2.4.2 System Slowdown and Telnet Disconnects

3.2.4.2 System Slowdown and Telnet Disconnects

Post by Patrick Crag » Sun, 24 Mar 1996 04:00:00

I have a wan extended over frame relay lines (each site has wyse60
terminals, a terminal server and a Cisco router) that has been acting up
over the past week.  Users have reported: 1) massive slowdowns in system
performance (they just access a Progress database and check e-mail) and
2) some sites have been experiencing random "Telnet disconnect 817 ....
Conneciton closed by peer."  If this wasn't enough to keep me up at
night, I have had a boom in <defunct> processes (some that I cannot
"kill -9") spawned from root and many users.

I am running the system on a HP Netserver LM.  Anyone else out there run
into something similar?

TIA-

Patrick

Post by Stephen M. Du » Sat, 06 Apr 1996 04:00:00

$I have a wan extended over frame relay lines (each site has wyse60
$terminals, a terminal server and a Cisco router) that has been acting up
$over the past week.  Users have reported: 1) massive slowdowns in system
$performance (they just access a Progress database and check e-mail) and

   Have you been able to study how the system is working at these
times?  Massive slowdowns are usually accompanied by some quantifiable
change in something that can be monitored with sar, vmstat, or
other tools of their ilk.

Stephen M. Dunn, CNE, ACE, Sr. Systems Analyst, United System Solutions Inc.
104 Carnforth Road, Toronto, ON, Canada M4A 2K7          (416) 750-7946 x251

1. Strange problem with telnet/ftp slowdown - speedup...

I've been having an intermittant problem with telnet/ftp that is just
bizzare (I think).

I have a number of Solaris boxes - 3 Sparc, 2 Intel - all running
Solaris 8.  Most of the time, telnet/ftp works fine.  I have tcp shells
on these programs, and am inside a firewall as well.

Usually, a telnet session takes under 1/2 second to return the login
prompt.

However, every couple of weeks, (last time for over 1 week), the ftp and
telent sessions would time out (30+ seconds) - eventually I could
connect, but it took a couple of tries.

Last time was just up until tonight. For the past 2 weeks, telnet/ftp
has been like molassis.  I have done *nothing* to the sytstems, and
tonight I was able to ftp/telnet to every system almost instantly.

I take daily logs, and have been checking router traffic - nothing
unusual shows up anywhere.

I've been following threads on similar problems - I have "files dns" set
as my lookup option, and don't have all machines in the hosts file
(security concerns).  Yet, having changed nothing in the past two weeks,
the systems are suddenly "fast" again.

One other thing - the XDMCP broadcast "tool" has also been showing
nothing until several refreshes - now it's up to speed again.

Given what people have been saying about reverse lookups, could some
fault at my ISP's DNS servers be the culprit, or should I look for
another cause.

Has anyone heard of such a problem before (spontaneous slowdown/speedup
of telnet/ftp/XDMCP)?

-Richard

2. Where can we Check for the running cron Jobs

3. Matrox Mystique ands X.

4. who makes the best Linux? Microsoft?

5. linux native ports causes system slowdown.

6. Apache 1.3.26 and <Directory> regex fun

7. System slowdown/hanging after large I/O operation

8. Handholding

9. System slowdown after adding memory

10. Slowdowns and Systems Pauses with 2.4.x.

11. system slowdown when PPP up?

12. System Slowdown after Memory is Added

13. System Slowdown under OSR5