Unable to print with ELM

Post by Ziskind » Sat, 20 Sep 1997 04:00:00

We've just upgraded to ELM version 2.4ME+ PL35, and whenever we print
(using cat %s | lp) we get this error message:

Cannot find start of selected message. [offset=870294]
Printout failed with return code 1.

where the offset changes with the message and seems to match the
number displayed with the '#' command. I thought that switching back
to the old version of ELM (2.4 PL23) might help, but now it, too
displays the same error message (!)

Any thoughts or comments would be highly appreciated.

Nachman Yaakov Ziskind, EA, CNE

Economic Group Pension Services         http://egps.com

Unable to print with ELM

Post by Nachman Yaakov Ziskin » Sat, 20 Sep 1997 04:00:00

After I wrote this, I realized that I left out the OS version. It's Open
Server 5.0.2. Sorry!

Quote:> We've just upgraded to ELM version 2.4ME+ PL35, and whenever we print

Post by Bill Walke » Sun, 21 Sep 1997 04:00:00

: After I wrote this, I realized that I left out the OS version. It's Open
: Server 5.0.2. Sorry!

: > We've just upgraded to ELM version 2.4ME+ PL35, and whenever we print
: > (using cat %s | lp) we get this error message:

: > Cannot find start of selected message. [offset=870294]
: > Printout failed with return code 1.

: > where the offset changes with the message and seems to match the
: > number displayed with the '#' command. I thought that switching back
: > to the old version of ELM (2.4 PL23) might help, but now it, too
: > displays the same error message (!)

Hmmm.  I'm having the same problem, and thought it was just me.  I
guess I'd better have a closer look.

BW

--
Bill Walker

Unable to print with ELM

Post by Nachman Yaakov Ziskin » Mon, 22 Sep 1997 04:00:00

----- Forwarded message from Fred Smith -----

Quote:>> We've just upgraded to ELM version 2.4ME+ PL35, and whenever we print
>> (using cat %s | lp) we get this error message:
>If you change it to just:
>    lp
> it should work fine! (believe it or not....)
>Fred

I don't believe it. Specifically, it gives me the same error message, then
replaces it with:

UX:lp: ERROR: No (or empty) input files.

Upon further reflection, I noticed a binary called "readmsg", with the
same date as the ELM binary, and it contains the offending string.
("Cannot find start ...") So that's why switching back to the old ELM
did no good.

Post by Dave Park » Mon, 22 Sep 1997 04:00:00

>----- Forwarded message from Fred Smith -----

>>> We've just upgraded to ELM version 2.4ME+ PL35, and whenever we print
>>> (using cat %s | lp) we get this error message:

>>If you change it to just:

>>    lp

>> it should work fine! (believe it or not....)

>>Fred

>I don't believe it. Specifically, it gives me the same error message, then
>replaces it with:

>UX:lp: ERROR: No (or empty) input files.

>Upon further reflection, I noticed a binary called "readmsg", with the
>same date as the ELM binary, and it contains the offending string.
>("Cannot find start ...") So that's why switching back to the old ELM
>did no good.

I've got the following line in my ~.elm/elmrc:

print = readmsg |/usr/bin/lp > $home/.tmp/elmprt.errs

and I can print fine from elm.  It took me at least a couple of tries to
get it though.
--

Unable to print with ELM

Post by Nachman Yaakov Ziskin » Wed, 24 Sep 1997 04:00:00

----- Forwarded message from Dave Parker -----

>> >----- Forwarded message from Fred Smith -----

>> >I don't believe it. Specifically, it gives me the same error message, then
>> >replaces it with:

>> >UX:lp: ERROR: No (or empty) input files.

>> >Upon further reflection, I noticed a binary called "readmsg", with the
>> >same date as the ELM binary, and it contains the offending string.
>> >("Cannot find start ...") So that's why switching back to the old ELM
>> >did no good.

>> I've got the following line in my ~.elm/elmrc:

>> print = readmsg |/usr/bin/lp > $home/.tmp/elmprt.errs

>> and I can print fine from elm.  It took me at least a couple of tries to
>> get it though.

>>No joy here, either. Actually (as I mentioned in a followup post) I think
>>it is readmsg (not ELM) that seems to be crapping out. I suppose I need to
>>reload the
>>old readmsg. *Sigh*
>If you've got the original elm pkg you can just copy it to /opt/bin, give
>it root:sys ownership, chmod to +x and that will confirm your suspicions
>(or not).  I just checked my package and installation, and it's not
>compressed in the pkg (the whole pkg itself came compressed, of course),
>and it's got different ownership (root:bin) and permissions (-rw-r--r--)
>on the pkg than it does installed (root:sys and -rwxr-xr-x).

I just replaced the readmsg from the distribution with the old readmsg (thank
G-d for backups!) and messages now print flawlessly. So, I guess it was broken
:-(

----- End of forwarded message from Dave Parker -----

Nachman Yaakov Ziskind, EA, CNE

Economic Group Pension Services         http://egps.com

1. Ghostscript Printing Error. Unable to Print in Debian.

Hi

I'm running Debian 2.2r2 with "sid" or "unstable" deb packages and
Apsfilterconfig 6.0. I have a Canon BJ-200ex printer. I receive the
following errors when I tried printing to a file and to my printer, lp:

AFPL Ghostscript 6.50 (2000-12-02)
Copyright (C) 2000 Aladdin Enterprises, Menlo Park, CA.  All rights
reserved.
This software comes with NO WARRANTY: see the file PUBLIC for details.
Error: /undefinedfilename in (test.ps)
Operand stack:

Execution stack:
   %interp_exit   .runexec2   --nostringval--   --nostringval--
--nostringval--   2   %stopped_push   --nostringval--
--nostringval--   --nostringval--   false   1   %stopped_push
--nostringval--   --nostringval--
Dictionary stack:
   --dict:986/1476(ro)(G)--   --dict:0/20(G)--   --dict:66/200(L)--
Current allocation mode is local
Last OS error: 2
AFPL Ghostscript 6.50: Unrecoverable error, exit code 1

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

2. Extra Chips?

3. strange sendmail problem

4. Elm problem: elm can't read mail file, why?

5. recompilation problem

6. Elm 2.4pl23 on SCO Unix 3.2v4.2 (OSF3.00) and elm.rc

7. sed help

8. elm "printing" to sz

9. printing emails from elm package

10. Elm can't print or pipe

11. Printing in Elm on Solaris 2.4

12. slack 10; hp 3845; cups; unable to print from command line