telnet vs. rlogin

Post by Heath Colema » Fri, 22 Nov 1996 04:00:00

Scenario:
I currently have a Compaq pentium 100 w/ 80mb ram and 2gig hd.  I have
about 40 (wy-50) users that telnet into the server (to use a order entry
system) from two serial port servers.(Computone Intelliservers)  At any
point during the day if I look into CPU utilization it is running extremely
high 90-100%.  If (using SCO Doctor Lite) I look at the processes using the
CPU, the telnet daemon (telnetd) seems to be peaking ~90-100% of the CPU
usage leaving none for the main database app the users are trying to
access.  I am expecting a CPU upgrade in the VERY near future.

Until then, Questions:
The only other way, besides telnet,  I see to configure the ports is by
using rlogin.  Is there any advantage, disadvantage to this option?  Am I
going to see other resources take the place of the telnet daemon if I use
rlogin?  Is one more efficient than the other?

I hope this question isn't too stupid.  Any advise will be greatly
appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

Heath Coleman

telnet vs. rlogin

Post by Bela Lubki » Fri, 22 Nov 1996 04:00:00

> I currently have a Compaq pentium 100 w/ 80mb ram and 2gig hd.  I have
> about 40 (wy-50) users that telnet into the server (to use a order entry
> system) from two serial port servers.(Computone Intelliservers)  At any
> point during the day if I look into CPU utilization it is running extremely
> high 90-100%.  If (using SCO Doctor Lite) I look at the processes using the
> CPU, the telnet daemon (telnetd) seems to be peaking ~90-100% of the CPU
> usage leaving none for the main database app the users are trying to
> access.  I am expecting a CPU upgrade in the VERY near future.

> Until then, Questions:
> The only other way, besides telnet,  I see to configure the ports is by
> using rlogin.  Is there any advantage, disadvantage to this option?  Am I
> going to see other resources take the place of the telnet daemon if I use
> rlogin?  Is one more efficient than the other?

CPU usage of telnet and rlogin should be similar.  rlogin might be a
little more efficient because it's simpler; or might not, because that
might not make much difference.

telnetd should only be consuming a lot of CPU if a lot of data is being
pushed through it.  Is a tremendous amount of screen I/O going on?  (It
would basically have to be continuous.)

Otherwise -- I haven't played with Doctor, but it sounds like it's
lumping together all instances of telnetd?  Use `ps -ef | awk '$4>0'` as
a quick check.  Processes that show up are those that have consumed any
CPU time in the last second or two.  The "C" column shows how much each
consumed.  Do you see one or more telnetd processes "spinning"?  Kill
those, leaving alone any telnetd's which aren't consuming lots of CPU
time.

If that's the problem, the next step is to figure out why -- under what
circumstances does telnetd get into a spin.

Quote:>Bela<

1. Telnet vs Rlogin detection in .cshrc

Hi,

I'm having the "backspace" problem on the machines that we
administer, where if we rlogin to a machine, I've set the
backspace correctly (because that's what I use) and if
you telnet in, it's wrong (since I never/rarely telnet).

I've looked at the tset man page, but it doesn't seem to
address this particular issue.

My question: is there a way to add a statement to .cshrc
or .login that will allow me to set backspace correctly
depending on how one logs onto the machine(s).

This is a really serious problem/irritant, and I would
greatly appreciate any solutions.

Thanks in advance,
-Dirk

2. Problems getting burnt iso to boot (RedHat7.2)

3. telnet vs rlogin:RedHat 6.2

4. What's Mandrake's "update" page ?

5. telnet vs. rlogin

6. newbie: wvdial vs PPP