Need to create a partition larger than 2GB

Need to create a partition larger than 2GB

Post by allan » Sat, 22 Jan 2000 04:00:00

I have a 9GB SCSI drive installed in a Compac server as a secondary
drive.  The server is running OpenServer 5.0.2 and I used the following
to prepare the drive:

# mkdev hd

It only seems to allow the creation of a 2GB partition but I am assuming
that since the HTFS filesystem allows larger than a 2GB filesystem that
I should be able to create a larger partition.

The company does not have any manuals (of course) and I have been trying
to figure this out from the man pages.

Can you guys help?

Thanks

Need to create a partition larger than 2GB

Post by LJ » Sat, 22 Jan 2000 04:00:00

I think that 2GB partition comes until a later version like 5.05.

Quote:> I have a 9GB SCSI drive installed in a Compac server as a secondary
> drive.  The server is running OpenServer 5.0.2 and I used the following
> to prepare the drive:

> # mkdev hd

> It only seems to allow the creation of a 2GB partition but I am assuming
> that since the HTFS filesystem allows larger than a 2GB filesystem that
> I should be able to create a larger partition.

> The company does not have any manuals (of course) and I have been trying
> to figure this out from the man pages.

> Can you guys help?

> Thanks

Need to create a partition larger than 2GB

Post by allan » Sat, 22 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Never mind.  I figured it out.  Thanks anyway LJ...

> I have a 9GB SCSI drive installed in a Compac server as a secondary
> drive.  The server is running OpenServer 5.0.2 and I used the following
> to prepare the drive:

> # mkdev hd

> It only seems to allow the creation of a 2GB partition but I am assuming
> that since the HTFS filesystem allows larger than a 2GB filesystem that
> I should be able to create a larger partition.

> The company does not have any manuals (of course) and I have been trying
> to figure this out from the man pages.

> Can you guys help?

> Thanks

1. HELP! Can I create FAT16 larger than 2GB??

Question:  I just got a new Pentium-II and want to install win98, NT4 and
Linux.  I have a 11GB drive and want to create 4 or 5 partitions.  To avoid
readability, I want to make all partitions to FAT16.

 I want to have 2 large drives (~4GB), but I found out, using win98 fdisk, I
must use FAT32 to create large partitions, or use FAT16 to create drives not
larger than 2GB.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks

Simon

2. Sendmail only listens on localhost

3. Need larger dump tape length/block size for 2GB 4mm DAT

4. Linux<->Microsoft Winsock (PPP on Null modem cable)

5. Creating a 2.0gb or larger disk partition in Sol. 2.x???

6. libm.so.5, needed by /usr/lib/libstdc++.so, conflicts with libm.so.6

7. Writing files larger than 2GB from AIX to Solaris

8. Alias to user directory with Apache

9. Is there a version of gzip that handles files larger than 2GB?

10. Problem with apache 1.3.1 and cache larger then 2GB

11. Files larger than 2Gb

12. help! taring files larger than 2GB!

13. fdisk and hard drives larger than 2GB