Mail for MY e-mail is acting strange today (no incoming e-mail)

Mail for MY e-mail is acting strange today (no incoming e-mail)

Post by Bob Willey - CCS http://www.ccs.co » Thu, 08 Jan 1998 04:00:00

OK, here is a strange one.

along, an SMTP connection to our ISP, and we read e-mail via POP (Outlook
98).
Today, Outlook said it had a Mail Error (Timeout), so I went looking.  In
the /usr/spool/mail directory there was a bob.lock file.  So I removed it.
Then a bunch of e-mail dumped into bob (over 748mb) and it was repeats upon
repeats.  So I moved the file to my home directory under a different name
(mv /usr/spool/mail  /u/bob/text.mail) so that it would not interfere with
anything.

No deliver will not deliver local mail to bob.  Every other user is fine.
SMTP mail is coming in fine.  (bob mail is sitting in the local queue -
MMDF)  Nothing I do now will allow any mail to go to bob.  I removed the
/usr/spool/mail/bob file, and it almost immediately will create a bob file
with zero bytes.
When I do a checkmail -m, it shows all of the queued up bob e-mail showing
as bob:not yet sent

I have run a /usr/mmdf/bin/checkque (nothing abnormal shows).
I have run /usr/mmdf/bin/cleanque   /usr/mmdf/bin/cleanlck
We have plenty of free disk space (2.2 gb free) and plenty of free inodes
(7% used).
/usr/sys is mode 755, owned by sys, group sys

I even did a shutdown and restarted the system, and not e-mail will go to
bob.
I looked for any strange files in the home directory (/u/bob), nothing.

If I go to a UNIX prompt (logged on as bob) and type mail, it just moves the
cursor down to the next line and hangs. (no error, no nothing).  It is like
there is  lock file somewhere, but I have not found one.

Thanks for any assistance.
If I am missing anything above, just let me know and I will be glad to post
any further info.

CCS Enterprises, Inc.   http://www.ccs.com
P.O. Drawer 1690      Easton MD  21601
(410) 820-4670       FAX: (410) 476-5261
Personal: http://www.intercom.net/user/consult

Post by Tom Philli » Thu, 08 Jan 1998 04:00:00

>OK, here is a strange one.

>along, an SMTP connection to our ISP, and we read e-mail via POP (Outlook
>98).
>Today, Outlook said it had a Mail Error (Timeout), so I went looking.  In
>the /usr/spool/mail directory there was a bob.lock file.  So I removed it.
>Then a bunch of e-mail dumped into bob (over 748mb) and it was repeats upon
>repeats.  So I moved the file to my home directory under a different name
>(mv /usr/spool/mail  /u/bob/text.mail) so that it would not interfere with
>anything.

>No deliver will not deliver local mail to bob.  Every other user is fine.
>SMTP mail is coming in fine.  (bob mail is sitting in the local queue -
>MMDF)  Nothing I do now will allow any mail to go to bob.  I removed the
>/usr/spool/mail/bob file, and it almost immediately will create a bob file
>with zero bytes.
>When I do a checkmail -m, it shows all of the queued up bob e-mail showing
>as bob:not yet sent

>I have run a /usr/mmdf/bin/checkque (nothing abnormal shows).
>I have run /usr/mmdf/bin/cleanque   /usr/mmdf/bin/cleanlck
>We have plenty of free disk space (2.2 gb free) and plenty of free inodes
>(7% used).
>/usr/sys is mode 755, owned by sys, group sys

>I even did a shutdown and restarted the system, and not e-mail will go to
>bob.
>I looked for any strange files in the home directory (/u/bob), nothing.

>If I go to a UNIX prompt (logged on as bob) and type mail, it just moves the
>cursor down to the next line and hangs. (no error, no nothing).  It is like
>there is  lock file somewhere, but I have not found one.

>Thanks for any assistance.
>If I am missing anything above, just let me know and I will be glad to post
>any further info.

>CCS Enterprises, Inc.   http://www.ccs.com
>P.O. Drawer 1690      Easton MD  21601
>(410) 820-4670       FAX: (410) 476-5261
>Personal: http://www.intercom.net/user/consult

I don't have an answer for you, but I have done the same thing on our ISP's
system.  I had a lock file left when my win 95 machine rebooted in the middle
of getting my mail.  Then I ftped into my ISP and deleted the lock file to fix
it. Right? ;-)

Wrong.  I ended up with the same problem.  It adds and adds and adds mail
until it is killed.  My ISP is running SUN OS servers, so I don't think it is
a OS problem.

I called my contact at my ISP to see how they fixed it, but my contact is out
today.  I can try to find out Thursday, if no one else has any answer.

----------
Tom Phillips
Employers Resource

Mail for MY e-mail is acting strange today (no incoming e-mail)

Post by Bob Willey - CC » Thu, 08 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Yes, there is a file bob in /usr/spool/mail  (it was zero bytes owned by bob
and group of group) like all the rest of the mailboxes.  just for giggles I
rm'd it, and it got created right back as zero bytes.  Like the mail
delivery is trying to occur, but unable to for some reason.  Nothing appears
in the mailbox just the zero byte file.  When I do a
checkmail -m there are about 30 messages backed up waiting for bob.. ??

CCS Enterprises, Inc.   http://www.ccs.com
P.O. Drawer 1690      Easton MD  21601
(410) 820-4670       FAX: (410) 476-5261
>along, an SMTP connection to our ISP, and we read e-mail via POP (Outlook
>98).
>Today, Outlook said it had a Mail Error (Timeout), so I went looking.  In
>the /usr/spool/mail directory there was a bob.lock file.  So I removed it.
>Then a bunch of e-mail dumped into bob (over 748mb) and it was repeats upon
>repeats.  So I moved the file to my home directory under a different name
>(mv /usr/spool/mail  /u/bob/text.mail) so that it would not interfere with
>anything.

>No deliver will not deliver local mail to bob.  Every other user is fine.
>SMTP mail is coming in fine.  (bob mail is sitting in the local queue -
>MMDF)  Nothing I do now will allow any mail to go to bob.  I removed the
>/usr/spool/mail/bob file, and it almost immediately will create a bob file
>with zero bytes.
>When I do a checkmail -m, it shows all of the queued up bob e-mail showing
>as bob:not yet sent

Is there a 'bob' file in the spool directory?  Mail should create
it, but just for grins go to that directory, touch bob, and then
chown owner to bob and group to whatever the rest are.

I don't used MMDF - so I can't be sure.  But it worked until you
mv'ed it.    Worth a shot.

--

Mail for MY e-mail is acting strange today (no incoming e-mail)

Post by Bill Campbel » Fri, 09 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>Yes, there is a file bob in /usr/spool/mail  (it was zero bytes owned by bob
>and group of group) like all the rest of the mailboxes.  just for giggles I
>rm'd it, and it got created right back as zero bytes.  Like the mail
>delivery is trying to occur, but unable to for some reason.  Nothing appears
>in the mailbox just the zero byte file.  When I do a
>checkmail -m there are about 30 messages backed up waiting for bob.. ??

Are you sure the problem's on the Unix side?  I just read an article
last night in this month's ``Unix Review'' on NT e-mail systems and
their interaction with Unix servers.  There were comments about
Outlook and other Windows based clients in which they get totally
confused with some of them pulling multiple copies of mail and other
strange behaviour.

What POP server are you running on the SCO box?  We generally use the
POP2 and POP3 servers that are part of the U.W. imap distribution, but
have had some problems at ISP sites with large numbers of users.  In
these cases, we've used the Qualcom popper with excellent results.

Bill
--

UUCP:              camco!bill   2835 82nd Avenue S.E. S-100
FAX:           (206) 232-9186   Mercer Island, WA 98040; (206) 947-5591

The question is, why are politicians so eager to be president?  What is
it about the job that makes it worth revealing, on national television,
that you have the ethical standards of a slime-coated piece of
industrial waste?
                -- Dave Barry, "On Presidential Politics"

Post by Bill Vermilli » Fri, 09 Jan 1998 04:00:00

>I don't have an answer for you, but I have done the same thing on our ISP's
>system.  I had a lock file left when my win 95 machine rebooted in the middle
>of getting my mail.  Then I ftped into my ISP and deleted the lock file to fix
>it. Right? ;-)
>Wrong.  I ended up with the same problem.  It adds and adds and adds mail
>until it is killed.  My ISP is running SUN OS servers, so I don't think it is
>a OS problem.
>I called my contact at my ISP to see how they fixed it, but my contact is out
>today.  I can try to find out Thursday, if no one else has any answer.

On an ISP with a pop mail server things are quite different.

You mail would bin a file called   tom   under the mail directory,
which can vary from system to system.

When you dial in and get your mail    tom   is copied to  .tom.pop
and then the data is transfered from there.  If new mail comes in,
it will go to   tom    while you are downloading from  .tom.pop.

If you get accidentally disconnected   .tom.pop will still be
there.   But there may still be mail in   tom   .

If there is nothing in   tom    the  ISP could copy .tom.pop into
tom.   If there is data in tom that will be lost.  So some care has
to be taken there.

Typically, when you log out   .tom.pop    will be put back in  tom
and .tom.pop will be zero bytes.

If you get disconnected and   .tom.pop   is not zero you will get
an error that the ISP will have to fix.

I've not dealt with SUN, but I've used the poppers under SGI's IRIX
and FreeBSD.  There should be no difference if the stock Berkeley
based code is used for the popper.  Qualcom distributes that.

I have no idea how ISPs that use MS servers work.   I'd just as
soon not find out.

--

(Remove the anti-spam section from the address on a mail reply)

1. E-mail is acting strange, incoming mail but not to mailbox??

OK, here is a strange one.

all
[...]

| CCS Enterprises, Inc.   P.O. Drawer 1690     Easton MD  21601 |
|               http://www.ccs.com     Come Visit Us !!         |
|   Personal Homepage:  http://www.intercom.net/user/consult    |
|-------> (410) 820-4670 ------------ FAX: (410) 476-5261 <-----|

2. fdformat, fd0H1440 and Debian

3. E-Mail E-Mail E-Mail

4. IE 5.0 on Unix Solaris -- What does this mean?

5. extract email from text file and send an email to the email address

6. Problems wit Proftpd

7. Active email and news (was Mozilla droppings in email...)

8. Xaw3d for X11R6/Linux?

9. How to enable SMTP socket to send email to other email system

10. Email Problems: Null's before the header of emails

11. Samba/E-Mail server w/E-mail arrival messages. How?

12. whoops forgot to put my e-mail to previous e-mail

13. ANNOUNCE - Beta available - DirectChoice - WWW & Email with no junk email