HP 4050

Post by Jean-Pierre Radle » Sat, 12 Feb 2000 04:00:00

HP's site doesn't tell me if the HP 4050 printer can be used with Unix,
nor how to set its IP number, nor what TCP port it uses.

Anybody faced this one before?

--
JP

HP 4050

Post by Tom Parson » Sat, 12 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Jean-Pierre Radley enscribed:
| HP's site doesn't tell me if the HP 4050 printer can be used with Unix,
| nor how to set its IP number, nor what TCP port it uses.

My HP4050 loves Unix.

You can set the IP address with arp or there will be a Network configuration
menu on the display panel.

--tom

HP 4050

Post by Paul Smirnof » Sat, 12 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Sure, it can :) It supports LPD. Do you have a HP JetAdmin CD ?
There must be a documentation set.
Try to run HP JetAdmin. It will find up your printer by Broadcast,
if in one Ethernet segment. Then you will setup all you need.

Regards, Paul.

> HP's site doesn't tell me if the HP 4050 printer can be used with Unix,
> nor how to set its IP number, nor what TCP port it uses.

> Anybody faced this one before?

> --
> JP

HP 4050

Post by Scott Taylo » Sat, 12 Feb 2000 04:00:00

> Sure, it can :) It supports LPD. Do you have a HP JetAdmin CD ?
> There must be a documentation set.
> Try to run HP JetAdmin. It will find up your printer by Broadcast,
> if in one Ethernet segment. Then you will setup all you need.

HP JetAdmin on UNIX?  It was bad enough on Windows.

--
Scott Taylor
MIS, MAAX Westco Inc.

HP 4050

Post by Scott Taylo » Sun, 13 Feb 2000 04:00:00

> HP's site doesn't tell me if the HP 4050 printer can be used with Unix,
> nor how to set its IP number, nor what TCP port it uses.

> Anybody faced this one before?

> --
> JP

JP,

I don't see why HP would change something that works so well, other than
enhancing it.  But then again, you just never can tell, specially when
they give no hints.  And don't bother to phone tech support (at least
not the number that comes with the docs) because they can't understand
why you wouldn't want to hook up you network printer to a Win9x box.

Try setting an arp entry for it.  You should be able to find the MAC
address at least.  Telnet, should just work for initial setup, if not,
maybe its http only now, so try pointing your browser to it.

--
Scott Taylor
MIS, MAAX Westco Inc.

HP 4050

Post by Tom Parson » Sun, 13 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Scott Taylor enscribed:

| > HP's site doesn't tell me if the HP 4050 printer can be used with Unix,
| > nor how to set its IP number, nor what TCP port it uses.
| >
| > Anybody faced this one before?
|
| I don't see why HP would change something that works so well, other than
| enhancing it.  But then again, you just never can tell, specially when
| they give no hints.  And don't bother to phone tech support (at least
| not the number that comes with the docs) because they can't understand
| why you wouldn't want to hook up you network printer to a Win9x box.
|
| Try setting an arp entry for it.  You should be able to find the MAC
| address at least.  Telnet, should just work for initial setup, if not,
| maybe its http only now, so try pointing your browser to it.

Commercial HP lasers (4050 series, the larger 5's and 4's) with
internal HP ethernet cards can be configured from the control panel.
Once the card is in place, a Network option appears in the configuration
menus.

This is explained, albeit briefly, in the 4050 manual and HP also has/had
a more detailed article on their website.