PPP to Win'95 Dial-Up Server HOW ?

Post by Richard Charles Grav » Sat, 13 Jan 1996 04:00:00

Quote:

>I want to use this Dial-Up Server to ansver and hold
>incomming calls from SCO UNIX machine that dials up to
>establish a PPP connection using MorningStar PPP.

>In the Win'95 Dial-Up Server I can choose "Type of
>Dial-Up Server" to be "PPP:Windows 95, Windows NT 3.5,
>Internet".

>When the SCO UNIX machine dials the Win'95 the Dial-Up
>Server ansvers the call and the status is set to
>answering. But after a short while it hangs up.

>In MorningStar PPP I can specify what must be sent to login to a
>remote machine.

>My Problem is that I don't know what to send to the
>Win'95 Dial-Up Server to login and keep the PPP connection
>alive ?

>I want to use this facility to let the SCO UNIX call-back to my
>Win'95.

Very intriguing application, if I understand you correctly.

Unfortunately, the alleged PPP server in the Plus Pack isn't a full PPP
implementation. This whole client/server distinction is really false.

I think you're going to need Trumpet, which I believe can support this
with a script that sets the right S-registers. Assuming what you're
talking about is dialback for security of lower phone rates, and that
yu're not expecting Win95 to route onto your LAN, which it can't do.

Some stuff is in the FAQ, and there's a link to the Windows Comm FAQ.
What you're trying to do would be over my head, though.

-rich

 ftp://ftp.stanford.edu/pub/mailing-lists/win95netbugs/
 gopher://quixote.stanford.edu/1m/win95netbugs
 http://www-leland.stanford.edu/~llurch/win95netbugs/faq.html

Post by Linh C. Nguye » Sat, 13 Jan 1996 04:00:00

> After installing the MS-PLUS! to Win'95 there has been added a
> menu point to the Dial-Up Networking under Connections.
> It is called "Dial-Up Server".

> I want to use this Dial-Up Server to ansver and hold
> incomming calls from SCO UNIX machine that dials up to
> establish a PPP connection using MorningStar PPP.

> In the Win'95 Dial-Up Server I can choose "Type of
> Dial-Up Server" to be "PPP:Windows 95, Windows NT 3.5,
> Internet".

> When the SCO UNIX machine dials the Win'95 the Dial-Up
> Server ansvers the call and the status is set to
> answering. But after a short while it hangs up.

> In MorningStar PPP I can specify what must be sent to login to a
> remote machine.

> My Problem is that I don't know what to send to the
> Win'95 Dial-Up Server to login and keep the PPP connection
> alive ?

> I want to use this facility to let the SCO UNIX call-back to my
> Win'95.

> Do you have any suggestions what I can do ?

> --
>  -- Eigil Krogh Sorensen

> Water Quality Institute !Phone:                          !
> Science Park Aarhus     ! +45  86 20 20 00 or            !
> 10, Gustav Wieds Vej    ! +45   86 20 20 11  local  2114 !
> DK-8000 Aarhus C        !Fax:                            !
> DENMARK.                ! +45   86 19 75 11              !

Windows 95 can only act as client not server.

PPP to Win'95 Dial-Up Server HOW ?

Post by Stephen J. Perki » Sun, 14 Jan 1996 04:00:00

Quote:

> >I want to use this facility to let the SCO UNIX call-back to my
> >Win'95.

> Very intriguing application, if I understand you correctly.

> Unfortunately, the alleged PPP server in the Plus Pack isn't a full PPP
> implementation. This whole client/server distinction is really false.

> I think you're going to need Trumpet, which I believe can support this
> with a script that sets the right S-registers. Assuming what you're
> talking about is dialback for security of lower phone rates, and that
> yu're not expecting Win95 to route onto your LAN, which it can't do.

> Some stuff is in the FAQ, and there's a link to the Windows Comm FAQ.
> What you're trying to do would be over my head, though.

TechSmith Corporation markets the Foray PPP Server.  This server can run on
a DOS machine (or you can boot your Work Win95 machine into the server when
you go home).  It is a full multiprotocol (IP and IPX) PPP server.  It
supports Win95 compatible callback (as well as other Microsoft extensions)
so your home win95 machine will get a nice little popup window asking if you
want to be called back.  It is RFC compliant and works with almost all other
PPP "clients".

You can download an evaluation copy or find out more at:
  http://www.techsmith.com/
     -and-
  http://www.techsmith.com/ftp/

Hope this helps!

- Steve

Dept. of Comp. Science          |  NeXT, MIME, finger for PGP
Michigan State University       |  NeXT OS 3.3 using PPP-2.3
 NeXT PPP-2.2 info at  http://www.thoughtport.com:8080/PPP/

Post by Eigil Krogh Sorense » Sun, 14 Jan 1996 04:00:00

[...]

Post by Don Re » Sun, 14 Jan 1996 04:00:00

In the beginning, or at least on 13 Jan 96 01:42:16 GMT,  Linh C. Nguyen

Quote:>Windows 95 can only act as client not server.

My understanding was '95 could handle server functions
for NetBEUI & IPX

Calcasieu Lumber Co.                uunet!calcas!sysop
Austin, TX
< Win '95; What property do you want to set today ? >-

Post by John Paul Morris » Sun, 14 Jan 1996 04:00:00

>>I want to use this Dial-Up Server to ansver and hold
>>incomming calls from SCO UNIX machine that dials up to
>>establish a PPP connection using MorningStar PPP.

>>In the Win'95 Dial-Up Server I can choose "Type of
>>Dial-Up Server" to be "PPP:Windows 95, Windows NT 3.5,
>>Internet".

>>When the SCO UNIX machine dials the Win'95 the Dial-Up
>>Server ansvers the call and the status is set to
>>answering. But after a short while it hangs up.

>>In MorningStar PPP I can specify what must be sent to login to a
>>remote machine.

>>My Problem is that I don't know what to send to the
>>Win'95 Dial-Up Server to login and keep the PPP connection
>>alive ?

If I read the windows resource kit correctly, IP is *not* supported
by the Windows 95 dialup server, it only does IPX, NetBEUI and Microsoft RAS

Quote:

>>I want to use this facility to let the SCO UNIX call-back to my
>>Win'95.

John Paul Morrison        Concord Pacific Developments                 VE7JPM

         1000, 1095 W. Pender Street, Vancouver, BC, Canada, V6E 2M6

Post by Peter Bla » Mon, 15 Jan 1996 04:00:00

: >If I read the windows resource kit correctly, IP is *not* supported
: >by the Windows 95 dialup server, it only does IPX, NetBEUI and Microsoft RAS

: Where do you find the 'windows resource kit'.  Is it on the Plus CD?

It is a book published by Microsoft and includes software for setting up and
administering a Windows 95 network.  It was intended to be read before you
started moving to Windows 95.  It is probably worth the money.  The early
part of the book has a time-line of 18 weeks to be up and running Windows
95 in a business environment.  Anyone who read the book first, might not
upgrade for that reason.  Maybe big businesses are really that slow.  Or
maybe the time-line projection was a virus.

PPP to Win'95 Dial-Up Server HOW ?

Post by Eigil Krogh Sorense » Mon, 15 Jan 1996 04:00:00

What I meant was, as far as I can see the opposite, namely that I want
the SCO to call back to the Win'95 system.

But thanks for your reply !

--
 -- Eigil Krogh Sorensen

Water Quality Institute !Phone:                          !
Science Park Aarhus     ! +45  86 20 20 00 or            !
10, Gustav Wieds Vej    ! +45   86 20 20 11  local  2114 !
DK-8000 Aarhus C        !Fax:                            !
DENMARK.                ! +45   86 19 75 11              !

PPP to Win'95 Dial-Up Server HOW ?

Post by Eigil Krogh Sorense » Mon, 15 Jan 1996 04:00:00

> >>I want to use this Dial-Up Server to ansver and hold
> >>incomming calls from SCO UNIX machine that dials up to
> >>establish a PPP connection using MorningStar PPP.

> >>In the Win'95 Dial-Up Server I can choose "Type of
> >>Dial-Up Server" to be "PPP:Windows 95, Windows NT 3.5,
> >>Internet".

> >>When the SCO UNIX machine dials the Win'95 the Dial-Up
> >>Server ansvers the call and the status is set to
> >>answering. But after a short while it hangs up.

> >>In MorningStar PPP I can specify what must be sent to login to a
> >>remote machine.

> >>My Problem is that I don't know what to send to the
> >>Win'95 Dial-Up Server to login and keep the PPP connection
> >>alive ?

> If I read the windows resource kit correctly, IP is *not* supported
> by the Windows 95 dialup server, it only does IPX, NetBEUI and Microsoft RAS

You can chose the Dial-Up Server's "protocol" to be PPP.

> >>I want to use this facility to let the SCO UNIX call-back to my
> >>Win'95.

> --
> John Paul Morrison        Concord Pacific Developments                 VE7JPM

>          1000, 1095 W. Pender Street, Vancouver, BC, Canada, V6E 2M6

 -- Eigil Krogh Sorensen

Water Quality Institute !Phone:                          !
Science Park Aarhus     ! +45  86 20 20 00 or            !
10, Gustav Wieds Vej    ! +45   86 20 20 11  local  2114 !
DK-8000 Aarhus C        !Fax:                            !
DENMARK.                ! +45   86 19 75 11              !

PPP to Win'95 Dial-Up Server HOW ?

Post by Eigil Krogh Sorense » Mon, 15 Jan 1996 04:00:00

> >If I read the windows resource kit correctly, IP is *not* supported
> >by the Windows 95 dialup server, it only does IPX, NetBEUI and Microsoft RAS

> Where do you find the 'windows resource kit'.  Is it on the Plus CD?

It is in the MS-PLUS! package for Win'95.

--

Post by James E. Full » Mon, 15 Jan 1996 04:00:00

> > > After installing the MS-PLUS! to Win'95 there has been added a
> > > menu point to the Dial-Up Networking under Connections.
> > > It is called "Dial-Up Server".

> > > I want to use this Dial-Up Server to ansver and hold
> > > incomming calls from SCO UNIX machine that dials up to
> > > establish a PPP connection using MorningStar PPP.

>     [SNIP] Sorry I can't answer the original posters question, but...

> > Windows 95 can only act as client not server.
> Gee, thats funny, then why does the Microsoft Plus! help file
> state the following:
> To Set up your computer as a Dial Up Networking Server:
> 1  Double-click the My Computer icon, and then double-click Dial-Up Networking.
> 2  On the Connections menu, click Dial-Up Server.
> 3  Click Allow Caller Access.
> 4  If you want to assign a password so that only those who know the password can
>         dial into your computer, click Change Password.
> 5  Click Server Type.
> 6  Click a server from the Type of Dial-Up Server list, and then click OK.
> Tips
> Before setting up your computer as a Dial-Up Networking server, you must set up a
> modem.
> --
> Steve Martin
>   http://www.henge.com/~smartin

Just to add to that ... Under Server Tyupes. it list one as "PPP:
Windows95,WindowsNT,Internet

I haven't tried it, but it looks like the capability might well be
there.

PPP to Win'95 Dial-Up Server HOW ?

Quote:>If I read the windows resource kit correctly, IP is *not* supported

Post by Steve Spenc » Wed, 17 Jan 1996 04:00:00

> > >If I read the windows resource kit correctly, IP is *not* supported
> > >by the Windows 95 dialup server, it only does IPX, NetBEUI and Microsoft RAS

> > Where do you find the 'windows resource kit'.  Is it on the Plus CD?

You can order the Win 95, Win NT, & MS Office Resource Kits. They come
with detailed manuals, a cd with utilities, and are one of the best
sources of info for ms products.
--
Steven P. Spence                        Trenton, NJ

PPP to Win'95 Dial-Up Server HOW ?

> >     [SNIP] Sorry I can't answer the original posters question, but...

> > > Windows 95 can only act as client not server.

You must have the Plus Pack in order to be a server!
--
Steven P. Spence                        Trenton, NJ

1. PPP to Win'95 Dial-Up Server HOW?

Joel,
Depending on your needs, some have found TechSmith's Foray PPP Server to be an
acceptable alternative.  While Foray is an MS-DOS solution and requires a dedicated
machine, a one-port license is $49.95.  Obviously this solution appeals most to
those users who are in a situation where they use it for remote access while they
are out of the office - they simply set up a multi-boot configuration and run Foray
before they leave the office.  You can download an evaluation and learn more
about it from TechSmith's Web site at http://www.TechSmith.com/.

Hope this helps,

2. strange X/SLIP behavior

3. PPP to Win'95 Dial-Up Server HOW ?

4. Will anyone help a newbie with wu-ftpd??

5. Dial my Caldera PPP Server from a Win 95 box.

6. Bad drive on a Ultra60

7. Dial-up connecting to a Win-95 Server

8. Slakware 3.4 bootdisk hangs HELP!

9. Why won't win 95 enforce authentication from my nmb/smb servers.

10. 2.3 -> 2.7 via Dial-up (Re: CVS over 'dropping' dial-ups)

11. Dial Up server for Win 95

12. *** lilo won't boot win' 95 ***

13. Can't Get PPP Working - Chat (ppp-on) script won't dial