tape drive access problem

Post by Kevin O'Donnel » Wed, 28 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Hi. Can't seem to get an Exabyte 8700 to work. SCSI tape drive, Adaptec
2940 UW, Open Server 5.0.4.

I have installed many times and I can't get the thing to read the device.
Error message is

tar: cannot open: /dev/xct0

default driver is as follows

device = /dev/xct0
curdriver=Stp1

Thanks in advance.

tape drive access problem

Post by Jean-Pierre Radle » Wed, 28 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Kevin O'Donnell typed (on 27Oct):
| Hi. Can't seem to get an Exabyte 8700 to work. SCSI tape drive, Adaptec
| 2940 UW, Open Server 5.0.4.
|
| I have installed many times and I can't get the thing to read the device.
| Error message is
|

| tar: cannot open: /dev/xct0
|

| default driver is as follows
|
| device = /dev/xct0
| curdriver=Stp1

/dev/xct0 is the name of the device for issuing ioctl control commands.
Try using /dev/rStp1.

--

tape drive access problem

Post by Grant Walter » Wed, 28 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>Hi. Can't seem to get an Exabyte 8700 to work. SCSI tape drive, Adaptec
>2940 UW, Open Server 5.0.4.

>I have installed many times and I can't get the thing to read the device.
>Error message is

>tar: cannot open: /dev/xct0

>default driver is as follows

>device = /dev/xct0
>curdriver=Stp1

You usually get this error when you use the tape command.

If you run mkdev tape and select the change default tape drive option.

If you indeed have two tape drives installed in the system as indicated by
Stp1, change the default to the appropriate drive.  The links then end up
using xct0 correctly.

--
Regards
GRANT WALTERS

"NT makes the easy stuff easy, and the rest impossible.
Unix makes everything possible, but nothing too easy."

1. Remote tape drive access problem

Pardon me if this is a double post.

I'm having problems accessing a remote 8 mm tape drive.  Any suggestions
would be greatly appreciated.  I'm running SunOS 5.5.1 Generic on a
SparcStation 5 (the machine that has the tape drive attached) and on Sun
Ultra 1 140s (the remote machines).

When I try to access the tape to use and mt command, or tar as follows:

mt -f remotehost:/dev/rmt/0l status I get back an error message:

remotehost:/dev/rmt/0l: No such file or directory.

If I log onto the remotehost locally and enter the same mt command:

mt -f /dev/rmt/0l status I get back a meaningful response.

Does anyone know why remote machines can't "see" this tape drive?  NFS
is running and other remote functions (e.g. rlogin, rsh) work fine.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Ken

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

2. Problems with telnet

3. Re. Problems adding tape drives to RS6000/220 Re: Problems adding tape drives to RS6000/220

4. dhcpd setup question

5. using 14gb 8mm tape drive to write tapes for 2gb tape drive

6. Path statement

7. Problem accessing HP Ultrium 2 tape drive.`

8. Netork Monitoring

9. problem accessing tape drive

10. Problem accessing remote tape drive

11. Write to 4Gig 4mm tape drive, read from 2Gig tape drive

12. Tape Drive Support: HP c1533A DDS-2 SCSI TAPE DRIVE

13. Accessing UNIX tape drive from NOVELL 3.11 ?