SCO Unix 3.4.2v4.2; Foxpro 2.6 for Unix; Slow system; please HELP

SCO Unix 3.4.2v4.2; Foxpro 2.6 for Unix; Slow system; please HELP

Post by Freddy de Vri » Sat, 06 Jul 1996 04:00:00

Hi all,

We have the following system:

Hardware:

DEC Prioris HX server
128 Mb memory
512 Kb Cache
Dual Pentium 133 MHz.
Adaptec 2940 Scsi controller.

Software:

SCO UNIX 3.4.2v4.2
SCO MPX
Foxpro for UNIX 2.6

Problem:

The system is slow but the sar report give:
33% user, 55%system, 5 %i/o and 7%.
This is by +/- 80 users, our system must handle 100-130 users.

sar -r gives by 60-65 user noswapping.
sar -r gives by >65 swapping.

What is happening??????
How can we tune this UNIX box to perform better????
The system has idle time, so how can we use these 2 CPUs better????

We have tried to install 32 Mb additional RAM, but the system went
slower. Our SCO dealer says that the cache doesnt work in the area
128M + 32M. The kernel is placed there and works in a non cached area.

I think we need the memory, so how can we pass this problem????
Who of the readers has a SCO UNIX system running with Foxpro for UNIX
and > 80 users?????
Does he/she have the same problems?????

Any help is appreciated.

Please post follow-up articles and send me a personal e-mail to

Thanks,

Freddy de Vries

1. SCO Foxpro 2.6 for Unix mouse driver?

Hi.  I was wondering if someone in this newsgroup could help.

One of my pet projects has been to get SCO Foxpro 2.6 for Unix to work on
Linux.  Thus far with pretty good success  (see my FPU FAQ sheet,
http://members.aol.com/dallen24/readfpu.txt).

Still one hurdle remains.  To get the mouse cursor to work.  Now I've in
contact with the author of the Linux ncurses.  He needs to know the design
details of the SCO mouse drivers.  Is it suppose to work with xterm's mouse
protocol?  Maybe it works with scoterm's mouse or maybe uses COFF.  He needs
to know.

Do you know of anyone who designed or worked on Microsoft's SCO Foxpro for
Unix (circa August 1994)?  Is there anyone who could determine the driver by
examining the binary executable?  I happen to have a licensed FPU runtime on
my web site, http://members.aol.com/dallen24/share.htm.

If anyone has any ideas on how the mouse cursor is suppose to work in SCO
Foxpro 2.6 for Unix, please let me know...Dennis

2. Aiee

3. This is bad.... Very bad....

4. FoxPro 2.6 on SCO UNIX with NFS problems

5. DNS

6. Help with SCO Unix 3.2V4.2 Cant boot up unix

7. User config dual modems?

8. How can I upgrade my Sco Unix 3.2v4.1 to 3.2v4.2 ?

9. Foxpro 2.6 for Unix/Linux & terminfo files

10. DA: Foxpro 2.6 for Unix/Terminfo files

11. Exactly what version of unixware will foxpro 2.6 unix run on?

12. DA: Foxpro 2.6 for Unix/Linux