how to read floppy file

Post by Egghea » Tue, 08 Sep 1998 04:00:00

I'm fool and new in unix, pls do teach me how to open/use floppy in unix.
also, what I need to install if I want the unix not "dos look" abut have
some "windows" ? Can I install such things without CDs but only thru
internet d/l those file and store in floppy ?
Thanks

how to read floppy file

Post by Donald Scot » Wed, 09 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Egghead,

your message is hard to read, but to access floppy devices in unix, they
must be mounted like a file system, as a floppy file system.

hope this helps.

ds

how to read floppy file

Post by Scott G. Hal » Wed, 09 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Please don't post questions like this all over the newsgroups.  Just one
newsgroup would be fine -- specifically the newsgroup for the particular
UNIX version you are using.

> I'm fool and new in unix, pls do teach me how to open/use floppy in unix.

This depends on the specific vendor's UNIX or UNIX-like OS you have.

Quote:> also, what I need to install if I want the unix not "dos look" abut have
> some "windows" ? Can I install such things without CDs but only thru
> internet d/l those file and store in floppy ?

Most UNIX systems have available a version of X-Windows for a GUI interface.
You should have the necessary install media already.  Check your manuals.
If you find your vendor's UNIX didn't ship with X-Windows out of the box,
give them a call and see if they have it for sale.  To download and build
a version of X-Windows for your specific system from the Internet is
possible, but complicated even for a old UNIX veteran; sources are available
though.

--
Scott G. Hall
GTE Government Systems

1. Mount, read or extract files from a floppy image file (MSDOS) under Unix system

Hi,

I search for a program on Unix, like a windows one called Winimage,
which read files from a floppy image file.

This file is a MS-DOS floppy file.

I think, it's possible with Linux to mount a imaage but I don't know why
?

I work on SUN Solaris and an HP UX, and a program like a 'tar xvf' of
this type og image will be welcome. I search an the internet and I can't
find nothing.
The ultimate goal is to put a seies of floppy on a CDROM, having the
floppy disk image.
I know making all the step except extract files from the images file on
UNIX.

If you have an answer, give an answer to this question by the news group
/ and by mail.

In advance thanks.

Nicolas Clochard

2. SMTP from WIN95 to SCO5

3. searching scsi floppy driver to read dos floppies for sol 2.4

4. GCC 3.0 Install Problems

5. Q: How to read 3.5'' floppies without floppy drive ?

6. Mandrake 8: how to change timezone?

7. jj asks: secondary floppy controller, reading hundreds of floppies

8. How to intercept keys and mouse messages?

9. Reading files off a DOS formatted floppy disk

10. How to read a Mac Floppy Disk or file

11. How to read files from a floppy

12. floppy drives and read-only file systems...

13. reading dos files from floppy disk