Node name of a SCO UNIX machine?

Post by bru.. » Thu, 10 Jul 1997 04:00:00

Hello,

     How to find out the nodename of a SCO UNIX machine and how to
change it with rebuilding?

Regards

Bruce Wang

Post by Jerry Heym » Thu, 10 Jul 1997 04:00:00

: Hello,

:      How to find out the nodename of a SCO UNIX machine and how to
: change it with rebuilding?

uname -a will give you the nodename (along with other relevant information).
To change the nodename, you need to do:

    # uname -S newname

the node will then be called newname until the next reboot when it will revert
back to the name that it was originally.  To make the change permanent, you
will have to relink the kernel after issuing the above command.

: Regards

: Bruce Wang

jerry
--
Jerry Heyman    O-          Team AMIGA

<A HREF="http://www.cs.stedwards.edu/u/heyman/"> My other self </A>

Node name of a SCO UNIX machine?

Post by Murat Selim Oztur » Thu, 10 Jul 1997 04:00:00

--------------1ACB43EAED482CBF6FB12F1D

Hello,

Use uname. Check man page of it to use. To change the system name , you
have to write uname -S <new name>.

Regards

> Hello,

>      How to find out the nodename of a SCO UNIX machine and how to
> change it with rebuilding?

> Regards

> Bruce Wang

--------------1ACB43EAED482CBF6FB12F1D

begin:          vcard
fn:             Murat Selim Ozturk
n:              Ozturk;Murat Selim
org:            Prosoft Iletisim
adr:            Cinnah Cad. 53/3;;06680;Ankara;Turkey;TR;Turkey

title:          Pre-sales Engineer
tel;work:       +90 312 4401222
tel;fax:        +90 312 4402590
x-mozilla-cpt:  195.112.132.50;0
x-mozilla-html: TRUE
end:            vcard

--------------1ACB43EAED482CBF6FB12F1D--

Node name of a SCO UNIX machine?

Post by J.R. » Thu, 10 Jul 1997 04:00:00

Bruce,
The commands 'uname -n' or 'uname -X' will tell you the node name of a SCO
UNIX machine.  The 'uname -X' command will also show you a bunch more
useful information about your OS.  You change it using the 'netconfig'
command.  It's menu driven so should be pretty self-explanatory.

.ingr.com>...

Quote:>Hello,

>     How to find out the nodename of a SCO UNIX machine and how to
>change it with rebuilding?

>Regards

>Bruce Wang

Node name of a SCO UNIX machine?

Post by John 'Hemo' Hieme » Fri, 11 Jul 1997 04:00:00

On Wed, 09 Jul 1997 17:56:28 -0700, the entity known as

>Hello,

>     How to find out the nodename of a SCO UNIX machine and how to
>change it with rebuilding?

>Regards

>Bruce Wang

try the 'uname' command.  'man uname' to get a list of the various options.

uname -n        displays the node name

uname -S blah           changes the node name to 'blah'

 |  |                      John 'Hemo' Hiemenz
 __ |  -_)  ` \   _ \  http://www.cloudnet.com/~hemo

  '...Running Madly into the Wind and Screaming...'

Post by Bill Vermilli » Tue, 15 Jul 1997 04:00:00

>: Hello,
>:      How to find out the nodename of a SCO UNIX machine and how to
>: change it with rebuilding?

             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Strange sentence structure - perhaps me meant "WITHOUT"
rebuilding.

Quote:>uname -a will give you the nodename (along with other relevant information).
>To change the nodename, you need to do:
>    # uname -S newname
>the node will then be called newname until the next reboot when it will revert
>back to the name that it was originally.  To make the change permanent, you
>will have to relink the kernel after issuing the above command.

If he doesn't want to rebuild immediately he could put the

name -S newname     in a script in one of the rc directories.

Bill
--

1. My Solaris 2.8 machine resolves remote host names differently than my other UNIX machines

Hi,
   I'm having a problem with my Solaris 2.8 machine resolving the host
names of my AIX and Linux RH9 machines.  My AIX is named "mike" and
the Linux is named "justin".  Their domain is "innovativesystems.net".
 Our DNS server is a Windows NT machine called "main1_nt".
   I'm testing with the gethostbyaddr program found at this address:

ftp://gandalf.cc.purdue.edu/pub/amanda/gethostbyaddr.c

   When I run it on my Solaris machine and feed it the IP address of
my Linux machine, the output tells me the name of my Linux machine is
"justin.main1_nt".  Why does it tack on the host name of my DNS
server?  How can I stop that?  When I run that program on any other
UNIX machine here, the name of my Linux machine shows up as "justin".
   I'm also having problems with the host name of my AIX machine when
I call gethostbyaddr from the Solaris machine.  The output indicates
that the name of the AIX machine is "mike2.innovativesystems.net" and
that it has an alias of "mike.innnovativesystems.net".  In this case,
I suspect this has something to do with caching because the AIX
machine used to be called "mike2", but in March of this year we
changed the name to "mike".  All other machines (AIX, HP, Linux,
DYNIX)see it as "mike".
   The host name conflict between the Solaris and Linux machines is
causing me problems because I'm trying to use my Linux machine as an
Amanda server with the Solaris machine as an Amanda client.  The host
name of "justin.main1_nt" not matching the host name of "justin"
causes the backup to be aborted.
   Any help is appreciated, and if I can answer any questions to make
this more clear, please don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks,
Jeff

2. HELP !!! - Routing

3. How to recover an application node and an ADSM node into one node?

4. ISDN through USB port

5. m/c name and node name

6. System freeze with Athlon: how to recompile kernel with distro's parameters?

7. How do you change SCO 5.0.5 machine name?

8. AIX 5L, ftp and ulimit

9. How do I change the host name of Unix machine

10. Interface names for a UNIX machine with more than one interface.

11. biz.sco.* replaced by comp.unix.sco.*; biz.sco.* newsgroups removed.

12. Is it possible to "route" IPX/SPX over a SCO Unix machine ?

13. Seeing a SCO Unix machine from Internet