vi hangs on :wq

Post by Dennis Tayl » Sun, 18 Jun 1995 04:00:00

I have a strange problem....

I have an altos 7000 running the latest altos/sco unix (not ODT, not 5,
4.2). Sometimes, when I am editing a file, when I type :wq, vi hangs.
Indefinitely, as far as I can tell. I can hit DEL, and I get a message
about the write being interrupted. I can do w<ret> q<ret> and it always
works.

There's not much pattern here, except that once it's hung on a particular
file, it'll always hang on that file, for the rest of that session anyway.

This may or may not be related, but the symptoms seem to be similar -
occasionally when I telnet to one of our other systems, when I quit at the
end, telnet hangs. Unfortunately, DEL doesn't work here. kill required.

Any ideas? Anyone with a 7000 run into this?

--

You can have it done fast |
You can have it done cheap|----- Pick any two.

vi hangs on :wq

Post by Jeff Hyma » Sun, 18 Jun 1995 04:00:00

> I have a strange problem....

> I have an altos 7000 running the latest altos/sco unix (not ODT, not 5,
> 4.2). Sometimes, when I am editing a file, when I type :wq, vi hangs.
> Indefinitely, as far as I can tell. I can hit DEL, and I get a message
> about the write being interrupted. I can do w<ret> q<ret> and it always
> works.

> There's not much pattern here, except that once it's hung on a particular
> file, it'll always hang on that file, for the rest of that session anyway.

> This may or may not be related, but the symptoms seem to be similar -
> occasionally when I telnet to one of our other systems, when I quit at the
> end, telnet hangs. Unfortunately, DEL doesn't work here. kill required.

Have you tried:
wq!

                                .--.
__________________________  .-. |  |  __________________________________

 Cactus International, Inc. | |_|  | | | Sales:   (800) LONE-TAR
 13987 W. Annapolis Ct.  _  |___   |_| | Support: (301) 829-1622
 Mt. Airy, MD 21771    _| ~-    |   ___| Fax:     (301) 829-1623
 Jeffrey Hyman         \,  _}   |  |     FTP:     ftp.cactus.com
 CompuServe: 74710,2627  \(     |  |     WWW:     http://www.cactus.com
------------------------------- |  | -----------------------------------
                                |  |

1. Help: Server reboots on ":wq" in vi on SCO 4.2 !

Hi.

We just made a server using a Pentuim 100 with Adaptec AHA-1542CP, HP 2 Gig
harddrive and a Wangtek 1.2 Gig tape backup. The server has 32 Megs of RAM.
To get SCO installed on it properly on it, we had to install a SCO provided
patch with seems to have worked properly.

Here's the problem. 90% of the time when I use vi and do a 'wq' the server
reboots. It does not crash, no panic, but as if somebody hit the reset button.
 I suspect hardware issue, but has anyone have any idea or experience as to
what has gone wrong?

Any help or feedback appreciated.

Masroor

2. modem locking up

3. :wq

4. could ping by numeric ip,BUT cant ping by hosts name

5. bad magic, wq bug -- HELP !

6. Installing from CD but substituting floppy kernel image

7. vi hang problem

8. Xfree86 config file for CL-GD6410

9. vi hangs

10. hanging vi and 3.2

11. ssh hangs on commands like 'ls -al', 'vi'

12. hanging vi

13. 'vi hang' fix -> Kinet -> broke