REMOTE printing problem

Post by Anton J?ge » Fri, 24 Jan 1997 04:00:00

Hello,

can You help me with a problem wit remote printer client.

I have as SCO Ver. 3.2  and it works perfect with local printers and as a
remote printer server. So other RS 6000 machines can print on the SCO
printers.

But if I create a remote client with rlpconf the new printer is not added
to te local lp spooler, so I cannot send jobs to it.

I checked /etc/printcap,  hosts.lpd hosts.equiv, lpd daemon - everything
seems to be right, but there is no queue added to the lp system.

Maybe someone had the same problem and can help me.

Thank You

1. Remote printing problem: waiting for remote system to come up

I have successfully configured local printing and am now trying to do the
same for remote printing, i.e. from my Linux box to a remote printer
attached to a Sun workstation, but am experiencing problems.

My local printcap entry for the remote printer looks like this:
(with slight modification, i.e. the foo.bar is actually
something else)

   # HP Laserjet 5mp (remote printer):
   LaserJet5mp|hp|HP Laserjet 5mp: \
        :lp=: \
        :rm=foo.bar.umac.mo: \
        :rp=LaserJet5mp: \
        :sd=/usr/spool/lpd/hp-lj5mp: \
        :lf=/usr/spool/lpd/hp-lj5mp/errs: \
        :mx#0: \
        :sh:

Before printing something, I check the printer status (lpc status
LaserJet5mp), which is reported as follows:

   LaserJet5mp:
           queuing is enabled
           printing is enabled
           no entries
           no daemon present

Then I start a print job, like this:

   lpr -PLaserJet5mp foobar.txt

Next the printer status is reported as follows:

   LaserJet5mp:
           queuing is enabled
           printing is enabled
           1 entry in spool area
           waiting for foo.bar.umac.mo to come up

However, the machine is already up and the printer is ready. Furthermore,
I have a login account on the remote machine and since my local machine's
name is in the remote .rhosts file, I can rsh commands on the remote
machine (I don't know whether this is relevant for remote printing,
though).

Printing on the remote machine is already enabled in the /etc/lp/Systems
file.

What's wrong? Any help appreciated.

Robert.

Robert P. Biuk-Aghai, University of Macau, Faculty of Science and Technology

                 http://www.sftw.umac.mo/~fstrpba/RPBA.html
                  hyperg://hyperg.sftw.umac.mo/robert_col

     The best beloved of all things in My sight is Justice ...
                                                 - Baha'u'llah (1817-92)

2. NIS multiple domains on a master

3. remote printing problem: Error transfering print job

4. Can You Explain This iptables Rule?

5. Remote Printing Problems

6. patch question

7. Remote Printing Problem