I just installed the OpenServer 5.0.
I'm trying to get a PPP setup running. I've spent way too much
time trying to get it to work. I got Netmanag's Chamelion and
linux up using PPP relatively quickly.
The machine setup:
HP Vectra 33U
1 ISA type hard drive
1 SCSI type hard drive
3 1/2 floppy
HP Ultra VGA
( no LAN card; I took out the LAN card that was in it )
I used the hostname and IP address that the LAN card had
US Robotics 28.8 Courier internal modem
I setup the machine like this:
1. I installed the system from CDROM
2. I ran the network config program
The things that don't work:
1. When I run "rpcinfo -p `hostname`" I get the complaint:
rpcinfo: can't contact portmapper: RPC: Remote system error no route to host
2. When a PPP connection is active I can't get the router to
connect me through the PPP connection.
3. An "nslookup `hostname`" fails. It claims it can't get the
The things that do work:
1. I run "rpcinfo -p" and the output looks okay
2. I can telnet to "localhost" okay but not `hostname`
3. When a PPP connection is active an "ifconfig -a" shows the connection
4. I can tell the network manager to set up a ppp connection.
using the debug tools I have verified that it connects
successfully to the PPP server all the way.
5. The login screen shows the hostname I gave it
1. How do I get the router to recognize this machine's
own IP address; how do I get rpcinfo -p `hostname` to
2. How do I set up the ipforwarding I saw in one of the threads?
3. Did I possibly answer one of the questions wrong either when
I installed the operating system or added PPP?