Install with 2 scsi controllers

Post by Marc Ros » Fri, 04 Oct 1996 04:00:00

I am attempting to install the Free SCO on an ALR 100 mhz Pentium with
a DPT CM4000 (at least that is what is on the card) scsi controller,
ATI video card (type ??), a Pro Audio Spectrum SCSI controller
(on sound card).
I have partitioned my hard drive into 5 partitions with the following
setup:
partition   system
1           dos
2           linux
3           nt
4           sco

My problem is that the install hangs after the Srominit.

The last thing on the screen is a G prior to that I get a
warning about irq 15 being private and that it can't be used.

warning: scsi adapter can not install intr vecno=15, type=2, lpl=5
        Vector 15 is private

I have successfully installed Linux but am currently having problems
with NT 4.0.  From the output from the Linux bootup I noticed that
the Pro Audio Spectrum Scsi controller in recognized as scsi0 and the
DPT controller is scsi1.  My hard drive and cdrom (NEC 500) are on the
DPT controller.  Linux finds the disk at scsi1 channel 0, id 0, lun 0
and the cd at id 1.

From the looks of the EIDE cd rom installation guide their is a way to
specify the scsi controller to use. I believe the install mentions using
defbootstr Sdsk=alad(0,0,0,0)
or something like that.  I would assume that I would need to do something
like
defboostr Sdsk=dptr(1,0,1,0)

Correct ?

Where can I find more info about are the available boot string options.

When it is printing out info like the following
%fpu 387
The %adapter line
looks like this
%adapter 0x3c88-0x03c90 15 type=dptr ha=0 id=7, BusMaster

I think my problem is that the SCO install is finding the scsi
controller on the sound card first and attempting to use that instead
of the DPT controller.

Has anyone dealt with a problem similiar to this and have any tips?

BTW, I took out the sound card and had the same problem. So I'm inclined
to think the problem has something to do with the irq 15 being unavailable.

Also, if I use the boot string
defbootstr disable=dptr
I get to the install screen but can't select "SCSI CD-ROM" because I don't
have a device loaded.

Help!!

Thanks,
Mike

--
________________
Mike Perik

Install with 2 scsi controllers

Post by Marc Ros » Fri, 04 Oct 1996 04:00:00

Let me correct some things...

: I am attempting to install the Free SCO on an ALR 100 mhz Pentium with
: a DPT CM4000 (at least that is what is on the card) scsi controller,
: ATI video card (type ??), a Pro Audio Spectrum SCSI controller

It's a DPT PM 2022 Smart Cache III
It's a Diamond Stealth video card with S3 chipset
My hard drive and NEC cd rom are connected to the DPT Controller
and I believe that it uses irq 15

[snip]

Mike

--
________________
Mike Perik

Post by Bela Lubki » Fri, 04 Oct 1996 04:00:00

> I am attempting to install the Free SCO on an ALR 100 mhz Pentium with
> a DPT CM4000 (at least that is what is on the card) scsi controller,
> ATI video card (type ??), a Pro Audio Spectrum SCSI controller
> (on sound card).
> I have partitioned my hard drive into 5 partitions with the following
> setup:
> partition   system
> 1           dos
> 2           linux
> 3           nt
> 4           sco

> My problem is that the install hangs after the Srominit.

> The last thing on the screen is a G prior to that I get a
> warning about irq 15 being private and that it can't be used.

> warning: scsi adapter can not install intr vecno=15, type=2, lpl=5
>    Vector 15 is private

> I have successfully installed Linux but am currently having problems
> with NT 4.0.  From the output from the Linux bootup I noticed that
> the Pro Audio Spectrum Scsi controller in recognized as scsi0 and the
> DPT controller is scsi1.  My hard drive and cdrom (NEC 500) are on the
> DPT controller.  Linux finds the disk at scsi1 channel 0, id 0, lun 0
> and the cd at id 1.

> From the looks of the EIDE cd rom installation guide their is a way to
> specify the scsi controller to use. I believe the install mentions using
> defbootstr Sdsk=alad(0,0,0,0)
> or something like that.  I would assume that I would need to do something
> like
> defboostr Sdsk=dptr(1,0,1,0)

> Correct ?

The "adapter number" that you give in such a bootstring is relative to
that adapter type.  You could have 5 adapters in your system and all of
them would be "driver(0,...)", if each used a different driver.  So it
would be "defbootstr Sdsk=dptr(0,0,ID,0)"

Quote:> Where can I find more info about are the available boot string options.

In the man pages, boot(HW), bootstring(HW).  Unfortunately, SCO still
doesn't have an external doc server.  :-(

Quote:> When it is printing out info like the following
> %fpu 387
> The %adapter line
> looks like this
> %adapter 0x3c88-0x03c90 15 type=dptr ha=0 id=7, BusMaster

Could you post the entire hardware display?  That "Vector 15 is private"
message says that some other device has allocated it first, but you
didn't include enough to see what that was.

Quote:> I think my problem is that the SCO install is finding the scsi
> controller on the sound card first and attempting to use that instead
> of the DPT controller.

I don't think that's it.  The SCSI on a ProAudioSpectrum is of a type
that OpenServer doesn't support at all; it shouldn't have found
anything.

Quote:> Has anyone dealt with a problem similiar to this and have any tips?

> BTW, I took out the sound card and had the same problem. So I'm inclined
> to think the problem has something to do with the irq 15 being unavailable.

Right.

Quote:> Also, if I use the boot string
> defbootstr disable=dptr
> I get to the install screen but can't select "SCSI CD-ROM" because I don't
> have a device loaded.

A guess: your motherboard or something else in the machine probably has
two IDE channels.  The 2nd IDE channel uses IRQ 15.  If you have
something on that channel, you can't share IRQ 15 with the DPT board and
since the IDE can't be reassigned (even if it could be, no software
would expect that), you must instead reassign the DPT.  Or, you *don't*
have anything on the 2nd IDE, so you should disable it.

If that's it, just disabling the 2nd IDE should be enough to get
started.  You shouldn't need any bootstring at all, just hit Return.

Quote:>Bela<

Post by Marc Ros » Sat, 05 Oct 1996 04:00:00

: A guess: your motherboard or something else in the machine probably has
: two IDE channels.  The 2nd IDE channel uses IRQ 15.  If you have
: something on that channel, you can't share IRQ 15 with the DPT board and
: since the IDE can't be reassigned (even if it could be, no software
: would expect that), you must instead reassign the DPT.  Or, you *don't*
: have anything on the 2nd IDE, so you should disable it.

: If that's it, just disabling the 2nd IDE should be enough to get
: started.  You shouldn't need any bootstring at all, just hit Return.

: >Bela<

I got my hands on the DPT Manual and it mentioned that SCO like the
DPT controller to use IRQ 14 edge. Changed it to that and the install
went fine, except I don't have a mouse under X Windows.  I've got
a MS serial mouse and that is the one I specified during the install
but it doesn't work. So, back to work.

BTW, both IDE controllers are diabled.

Is it true that in order for SCO to boot, the partition it is on must
be active?

Thanks for the help!

Mike
--
________________
Mike Perik

1. Help!!! installing DTCT 3194U SCSI controller!!!

I bought This card(DTCT 3194U SCSI controller) two weeks ago...
Until now...I trying and trying to install Linux(REDHAT 5.1), but I can't.
Is there any one who succeed to install This card???
Or anybody who know how to install this card, or the DRIVER.(I have only
318x, 328x version. NOT 3194.)
Please....Help me.
I lost 2 weeks. But I want to install.
Thanks for reading this...

2. EFS bug? (2.4.19-pre2)

3. Need help with RedHat install w/ two SCSI controllers

4. Fonts and resolution with X

5. how do you install adaptec ava1505 scsi controller

6. Pentium bug fix for OSE 5.0.0

7. Can′t install Linux with SCSI-Controller CMD CSA6520

8. I can 'Ping,' but nothing else.

9. Installing Adaptec 1510 SCSI controller

10. Red hat install with 2 SCSI controllers

11. One SCSI controller is not recognized with another SCSI controller

12. Installing Linux with SCSI CD Rom Adaptec AIC-6x60 SCSI Controller

13. Installing Linux 2.1 with a scsi controller and scsi hard drives