Anyone get 3.2v4.2 to run on a ThinkPad 760CD???

Anyone get 3.2v4.2 to run on a ThinkPad 760CD???

Post by Greg Vilar » Tue, 06 Feb 1996 04:00:00

The president of my company wants to give our salesman a laptop/notebook
that is capable of running SCO Unix 3.2v4.2 for use in doing software
demos of our product. We have an IBM ThinkPad 760 CD, and it doesn't seem
to want to install SCO. Install dies after the N1 floppy loads at about
the point where the divvy should run to create partitions.

If anyone has any experiences that they could share it would be appreciated.
E-mail or posts are fine, I will summarize if desired. Thanks a million,

        -Greg

--

USnail: 87-B W. Hills Rd  |In-Touch Management Systems | Home:(516)385-7140
Huntington Sta., NY 11746 |Melville, NY 11747      | Work:(516)752-2701x240

Post by Bela Lubki » Wed, 07 Feb 1996 04:00:00

> The president of my company wants to give our salesman a laptop/notebook
> that is capable of running SCO Unix 3.2v4.2 for use in doing software
> demos of our product. We have an IBM ThinkPad 760 CD, and it doesn't seem
> to want to install SCO. Install dies after the N1 floppy loads at about
> the point where the divvy should run to create partitions.

There are a couple of IBM compatibility supplements -- EFS 130 and SLS
uod383 on ftp.sco.com.  As far as I know, the 760CD hasn't been tested
at all, but you could try with those supplements.  Read the docs to see
what they do, decide which (if either) would help.  BTW, the EFS 130
docs claim it's only for Unix 3.2v4.0 and 4.1, and ODT 2.0, but it does
actually apply to 3.2v4.2 and ODT 3.0 as well.
Quote:>Bela<

Post by Tony Lawren » Wed, 07 Feb 1996 04:00:00

: The president of my company wants to give our salesman a laptop/notebook
: that is capable of running SCO Unix 3.2v4.2 for use in doing software
: demos of our product. We have an IBM ThinkPad 760 CD, and it doesn't seem
: to want to install SCO. Install dies after the N1 floppy loads at about
: the point where the divvy should run to create partitions.

The problem with the ThinkPad is that it's a wonderfully smart
machine that knows everything it needs to know about all of
it's devices, including it's hard drive.

Which means that if your drive is large enough to have more than
1024 cylinders, or more than 16 heads, you can't tell it anything
different in the BIOS because it doesn't think you should need to.

Frustratingly enough, the drive can actually do sector translation;
you just have no way to tell it that is your desire...

I think the 340 meg drive fits under those parameters, and will
work.

BTW, it's also fun figuring out the address of your parallel port.
The ThinkPad thinks it is enough to tell you that you *have*
a parallel port :-)

('twas at the monochrome address on the one I installed).

--
Tony

Anyone get 3.2v4.2 to run on a ThinkPad 760CD???

Post by Zeyd M. Ben-Hal » Wed, 14 Feb 1996 04:00:00

Quote:

>There are a couple of IBM compatibility supplements -- EFS 130 and SLS
>uod383 on ftp.sco.com.  As far as I know, the 760CD hasn't been tested
>at all, but you could try with those supplements.  Read the docs to see
>what they do, decide which (if either) would help.  BTW, the EFS 130
>docs claim it's only for Unix 3.2v4.0 and 4.1, and ODT 2.0, but it does
>actually apply to 3.2v4.2 and ODT 3.0 as well.

How about OSR 5.0? It generally supports a wider selection of hardware, would
it stand a chance? We are faced with the same problem, we don't want to buy
them unless we know they'll work under OSR 5.0.

Zeyd
--
---

NCURSES is available from ftp.netcom.com:pub/zm/zmbenhal/ncurses
Current version is 1.9.8a

1. Running XFree86 on a Thinkpad 760CD

Hello -

        If there is anyone out there who has gotten XFree86 running properly on
an IBM Thinkpad 760, I would be very interested in hearing the details.  It
would help very much with setting up a machine for my advisor.  Thanks ...

--

% Theoretical Biophysics Group, University of Illinois
% 3117 Beckman Institute        |   WWW: http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/~billh

2. Gnome Under OpenBSD

3. X on the IBM 760CD Thinkpad

4. What is a wheel group?

5. Thinkpad 760CD Display

6. a presumed mutex/semaphore/condvar problem

7. IBM ThinkPad 760CD SCO UNIX installation problems

8. C/C++ and Linux

9. XFree86 on IBM ThinkPad 760CD

10. Q: Slackware 3.0, IBM ThinkPad 760CD?

11. Linux on Thinkpad 760CD

12. XFree86 on Thinkpad 760CD

13. X on thinkpad 760CD