Printer probs...

Post by Galen Johnso » Fri, 27 Jun 1997 04:00:00

I hope that someone can help...
I am a fledgling SA that just happened into the position (I knew more
about computers than anyone else here).  Our system was upgraded from
Xenix to Openserver Host (5.0.0c) about six months ago.  Since then the
"support" we were receiving has been terminated.  However, my problem is
this...
  I am using SCO Host system ver 5.0.0c with the d-patch installed.  We
have a 32-port Digiboard installed as a serial device and Wyse terminals
connected via line drivers.  Whenever we attempt to print to a printer
other than the terminal we are at (say from ttya05 to ttya11) the
program we are using gives us an error saying that the port is
unavailable.  If we change the permissions for that device, we can print
to that port, but only once since for some reason the permissions get
changed back.  We have tried using umask, but it didn't work.  (This was
not a problem before the upgrade).

Anyone have any suggestions for other things to try?
Any help would be appreciated.

Galen

Printer probs...

Post by MemoSis - Sistemas Inform├íticos Ld » Sat, 28 Jun 1997 04:00:00

On Thu, 26 Jun 1997 15:49:27 -0700, Galen Johnson

>I hope that someone can help...
>I am a fledgling SA that just happened into the position (I knew more
>about computers than anyone else here).  Our system was upgraded from
>Xenix to Openserver Host (5.0.0c) about six months ago.  Since then the
>"support" we were receiving has been terminated.  However, my problem is
>this...
>  I am using SCO Host system ver 5.0.0c with the d-patch installed.  We
>have a 32-port Digiboard installed as a serial device and Wyse terminals
>connected via line drivers.  Whenever we attempt to print to a printer
>other than the terminal we are at (say from ttya05 to ttya11) the
>program we are using gives us an error saying that the port is
>unavailable.  If we change the permissions for that device, we can print
>to that port, but only once since for some reason the permissions get
>changed back.  We have tried using umask, but it didn't work.  (This was
>not a problem before the upgrade).

>Anyone have any suggestions for other things to try?
>Any help would be appreciated.

>Galen

Hi,

I am not quite sure how you are printing. Aparently directly to
/dev/tty????. If this is the case, try putting a mesg y in
/etc/profile.

Rgds,
MemoSis - Sistemas Informticos, Lda.

Printer probs...

Post by Robin Cordova/Open Systems Consulting and Training I » Sat, 28 Jun 1997 04:00:00

<snipped>
: Whenever we attempt to print to a printer
: other than the terminal we are at (say from ttya05 to ttya11) the
: program we are using gives us an error saying that the port is
: unavailable.  If we change the permissions for that device, we can print
: to that port, but only once since for some reason the permissions get
: changed back.

I gather that the printers are attached to the terminals?  You are
printing to a pass-through port?  What is the error you are getting
(exactly)?  What is the application?  Can you print to the printer from a
UNIX prompt ($ or #)?  What is the device name and what are the
permissions you are changing and what are you changing them to?  Who owns
the port (both owner and group ownership)?  Are the printers defined in
the lp subsystem or are you cat'ing the info directly to them? Are you
using Digi's MPI facility to define these printers?

:  We have tried using umask, but it didn't work.  (This was
: not a problem before the upgrade).

Umask will only affect the permissions on *newly* created files, not
existing ones .... what is the umask value you are applying?  What do you
mean this was not a problem before the upgrade?

Open Systems Consulting & Training, Inc.
6851 So. Holly Circle
Suite 170                                               (303)694-9304 voice
Englewood, CO 80112                                     (303)694-1318 fax

Printer probs...

Post by Steve Faba » Sun, 29 Jun 1997 04:00:00

> I hope that someone can help...
> I am a fledgling SA that just happened into the position (I knew more
> about computers than anyone else here).  Our system was upgraded from
> Xenix to Openserver Host (5.0.0c) about six months ago.  Since then the
> "support" we were receiving has been terminated.  However, my problem is
> this...
>   I am using SCO Host system ver 5.0.0c with the d-patch installed.  We
> have a 32-port Digiboard installed as a serial device and Wyse terminals
> connected via line drivers.  Whenever we attempt to print to a printer
> other than the terminal we are at (say from ttya05 to ttya11) the
> program we are using gives us an error saying that the port is
> unavailable.  If we change the permissions for that device, we can print
> to that port, but only once since for some reason the permissions get
> changed back.  We have tried using umask, but it didn't work.  (This was
> not a problem before the upgrade).

> Anyone have any suggestions for other things to try?
> Any help would be appreciated.

> Galen

Sounds like your applicaion is printing directly to the device instead
of using the lp print spooler.  If that's the case you can modify your
application to look in its home directory for the device you want
to print to.  Use mknod with the same major, ninor node numbers as
the /dev/ttyall device with a name like /appdir/ttyprint11.  Then
use chmod to set the permissions as your application needs them and
none of the OS 5.0 asministration utilities (fixperm fixmog, etc) will
know about your device and so will not change them.

This requires your application to provide its own device locking to
prevent multiple users from printing to the same printer at the
same time.

                                      Steve Fabac
                                       S.M. Fabac & Associates
                                        816/765-1670

1. Printer Probs

After alot of effort I've managed to setup parport0 and link lp0 to it.
Which I think I deserve a pat on the back for! ;o) Anyway, in
/proc/parport/0/autoprobe,etc My printer make and type have been successfull
detected. If I use tunelp it is aware if my printer is connected or
disconnect. So what's the problem you ask? Well if I try print (lpr
blah_file, cat crap.txt > /dev/lp0, dd of=/dev/lp0 obs=220, etc) nothing
happens! no errors, no nothing! So, I'm thinking my printer is a
"winprinter", which it is (LEXMARK 2030), but correct me if I'm wrong but
surely if I sent some meaningless data to it I should get some kind of
response! Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
darrdem.

2. StarOffice 6.0 Beta available

3. Strange Printer Prob. HP LJ4L

4. Need help with modem & setserial

5. Printer Probs

6. Intel Express and ExpressPro

7. Help: NCSA httpd, Redirect, and QUERY_STRING

8. printer probs in kde

9. Parallel Printer prob after upgrade to 5.0.5 from 3.2.4.2

10. Printer Prob

11. printer prob, even "cat > dev/lp0 dont work !

12. Eternal printer probs!