users control

Post by Gilbert » Sat, 29 Jun 1996 04:00:00

Hi:

How it is possible to avoid that 2 users log in with the same login name ?

thanks

users control

Post by Jean-Pierre Radl » Sat, 29 Jun 1996 04:00:00

Quote:Gilbert G. writes:
> Hi:

> How it is possible to avoid that 2 users log in with the same login name ?

It's rather a normal thing to do on Unix, but if you have reason to prevent
it, then in /etc/profile or /etc/cshrc, grep for that users's name in the
output of 'w', and do what you decide.

--

users control

Post by Stephen M. Du » Sat, 06 Jul 1996 04:00:00

$How it is possible to avoid that 2 users log in with the same login name ?

   You'd have to have some code which checks at login time to see if
someone is already logged on using that account.  If the user has no
write access to their .profile or .login, that would be the best place for
it; otherwise, you could put it in /etc/profile or /etc/cshrc, and be
careful to make it apply only to the user account(s) which are to be
protected in this way.

Manager, Technical Services                     United System Solutions Inc.
104 Carnforth Road, Toronto, ON, Canada M4A 2K7          (416) 750-7946 x251

users control

Post by Joerg Stang » Sat, 13 Jul 1996 04:00:00

> Hi:

> How it is possible to avoid that 2 users log in with the same login name ?

> thanks

I think this is a little dirty ,but as first idea.
You can change access rights to pseudo Terminals.
For every user only one pseudo terminal.
But this prevents only in tcp environments.
When you have both network terminals / serial terminals
the user can still connect more times to the system.

users control

Post by Jean-Pierre Radl » Sat, 13 Jul 1996 04:00:00

Joerg Stangl writes:

> > How it is possible to avoid that 2 users log in with the same login name ?

> I think this is a little dirty ,but as first idea.
> You can change access rights to pseudo Terminals.
> For every user only one pseudo terminal.
> But this prevents only in tcp environments.
> When you have both network terminals / serial terminals
> the user can still connect more times to the system.

That sounds complicated.  Just write some tests in /etc/profile or
/etc/cshrc.

--

1. user controlled memory protection

Hi,

I would like to know if i can do something like following in my C program
using some debugging tools or special memory management libraries. My C
program allocates some chunk of memory using malloc by doing something like:

ptr = (xyz *) malloc(1000 * sizeof(xyz);

Now i want to declare the whole chunk of memory pointed by ptr (i.e from
ptr[0] to ptr[999]) as protected so that any access
to that part of memory is logged or generates a signal that can be caught or
a callback is called where i can log some information. Can i do something
like this using a debugger like gdb (by putting a breakpoint after the
malloc and then ask the
debugger to watch the whole memory region pointed by ptr ? Or are there any
freely available libraries, which i can link my
program to, that offer APIs to declare some memory region as protected and
then the library watches it ? Any help is greatly
appreciated.

Thanks,
Sarath

2. /proc/driver support for ide

3. Switching user control of process

4. Terminal PHILIPS J2711

5. user control shesll

6. Win95 is a piece of shit! ---- YES REALLY

7. User Controlled Access

8. Amnesiac login:

9. HELP: scsi tape and tape block size - how to user control

10. Newsgarbage user-controlled tech news site goes into beta!

11. User control of server

12. qmail 0.90: a UNIX MTA supporting fast user-controlled mailing lists

13. user control