Jump Starting GCC from Skunkware 5.0

Post by Paul Fischer of BTG Inc. Office Automati » Fri, 29 Mar 1996 04:00:00

Hello All,

I have tried, unsuccessfully, to get gcc 2.7.2 to compile using
Robert Lipe's patches for the SCO Dev Sys.  I am trying to do this
with the GCC and GAS binaries provided on the Skunkware 5.0 CD.

I was able to get most of the way there, but apparently the C pre
processor is generating assembly code meant for SCO's AS that GAS can
not understand.  I updated my GAS to the latest version and that got
rid of a lot of errors, but it still would not compile.

So I took a totally compiled version of GCC 2.7.2 (all 25MB compressed)
and uploaded it to the machine.  Same problem.  Apparently I need to make
some changes to the way the CPP is built to have it use GAS and not
SCO's AS.

Paul

Jump Starting GCC from Skunkware 5.0

Post by Robert Li » Sat, 30 Mar 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>I have tried, unsuccessfully, to get gcc 2.7.2 to compile using
>Robert Lipe's patches for the SCO Dev Sys.  I am trying to do this
>with the GCC and GAS binaries provided on the Skunkware 5.0 CD.

I get requests for this a couple of times a month.

Unless you really, really want to play with GCC guts, use my binaries
[ sites listed again at end ].  The GCC that was used is only a few
days away from the FSF 2.7.2 release and contains no x86 specific
features that we worthy of mention.

Quote:>I was able to get most of the way there, but apparently the C pre
>processor is generating assembly code meant for SCO's AS that GAS can

The C preprocessor (wheither it's /lib/cpp, cc -E or gcc -E a.k.a cpp)
doesn't generate assembly code.  It generates "real" C.  The compiler
itself generates assembly code.  They really are different things.

Quote:>not understand.  I updated my GAS to the latest version and that got
>rid of a lot of errors, but it still would not compile.

The latest released version of GAS does not contain my OSR5 patches.
You're also going to get into trouble mixing/matching ELF and COFF
binaries.  My GAS patches are in the latest GAS snapshots, but they're not
in anything publicly released.

Quote:>So I took a totally compiled version of GCC 2.7.2 (all 25MB compressed)
>and uploaded it to the machine.  Same problem.  Apparently I need to make
>some changes to the way the CPP is built to have it use GAS and not
>SCO's AS.

There are all kinds of * knowledges between then.  Even if you got
them to compile, you'd get into trouble with supporting '-g'.  Then once
you got that to work, you'd get into trouble supporting ELF.    Then you've
got ELF w/ debugging to worry about.  Then you've got problems with the
startups.  Then you've got problems with....

If you place any value on your time, use the binaries.

Sources and binaries are on the free Skunkware 5 CD-Rom or are
available from my home page at:
        http://www.veryComputer.com/
                or
        ftp://ftp.dgii.com/users/robertl/scods/

For more info on the Skunk5 CD-Rom, contact your SCO dealer or examine
        http://www.veryComputer.com/

The code is also mirrored by SCO at:

        http://www.veryComputer.com/
                or
        ftp://ftp.sco.com//Skunk/OpenServer_5/Updates/gds

--
Robert Lipe

1. problems with TIN on skunkware 5.0

Hello,

I am having problems with Tin on skunkware 5.0.  As you can see by looking
at the header I have a mundged "To:" header which I am compensating
for with a "Reply-To:" header.  This, however, forces all replies and
follow-ups to my e-mail.  Is there anyway to fix the mundged "To:"
header in this version or do I need to recompile my own?

2. TLAN: eth0: giving autonegotation more time ???

3. Skunkware 2.0 gcc, emacs install question

4. compat_wait4 fix

5. Q: installing GCC from Skunkware 5

6. Kernel Panic (Another one)

7. Skunkware gcc "include" problem

8. 5M system memory usage - how to tune it ?

9. Skunkware gcc compiler and perl

10. java/43949: Port java/jump should install jump.jar in shared jars dir

11. Upgrading GCC and Libc in large jumps.

12. Quick jump-start with Apache web server

13. Jump Start - questions while booting