SCO 3.2v4.2 hard disk recognition

Post by Sean Davi » Sat, 07 Oct 2000 04:00:00

I am currently working on upgrading a system that is running 3.2v4.2
with the Y2K patch installed.  The system is used for a monster
database and we want to increase the speed of disk accessibility.
Towards these ends we installed a DPT Century V (PM2654U2)controller
with 32 Mb of cache for one drive.  The cache has helped significantly
with the new drive, however we want to take this further and actually
get an array running.  I installed 2 Seagate 18.2 Gb ultra 2 lvd drives
and set them up as a RAID 0 stack after disconnecting the existing
drive.  The problem is that 3.2v4.2 doesn't see the RAID stack after
this at all.  The Controller reports it as a 36.4 Gb DPT drive, 4444
cylinders, 255 heads an 63 sectors.  I have tried the emergency boot
disks and the install disks.  Nothing is recognizing it.  I have not
found anything on the net about the limitations of 3.2v4.2 on drives.
Is it just the size, the fact that it has 255 heads or what?  Any

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Post by Robert Sid » Sun, 08 Oct 2000 11:47:41

[...]
: suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

There are a few things that you have to make clear...

    1. Can you even boot the machine? I.e., is there an OS installed.
       I am asking this because you said you took a drive out.
       For all we know, that was your boot HD.
    2. If you can boot the machine, post an hwconfig -h listing.
       If you can't boot and there is no OS, are you installing
       with the correct btld.
    3. Assuming you can boot, I don't now anything about this
       controller or setting up an array with it, but typically
       once you installed a new HD you have to tell the OS about
       it using mkdev hd. Running mkdev hd may not be the correct
       utility in your situation but did you run any utility to
       configure the drives into the kernel?

Rob

Post by John » Sun, 08 Oct 2000 13:23:14

>I am currently working on upgrading a system that is running 3.2v4.2
>with the Y2K patch installed.  The system is used for a monster
>database and we want to increase the speed of disk accessibility.
>Towards these ends we installed a DPT Century V (PM2654U2)controller
>with 32 Mb of cache for one drive.  The cache has helped significantly
>with the new drive, however we want to take this further and actually
>get an array running.  I installed 2 Seagate 18.2 Gb ultra 2 lvd drives
>and set them up as a RAID 0 stack after disconnecting the existing
>drive.  The problem is that 3.2v4.2 doesn't see the RAID stack after
>this at all.  The Controller reports it as a 36.4 Gb DPT drive, 4444
>cylinders, 255 heads an 63 sectors.  I have tried the emergency boot
>disks and the install disks.  Nothing is recognizing it.  I have not
>found anything on the net about the limitations of 3.2v4.2 on drives.
>Is it just the size, the fact that it has 255 heads or what?  Any
>suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

You never mention if you have installed the appropriate driver or BTLD
for the RAID controller.

Have you visited here:
http://www.adaptec.com/support/overview/dptraid_dl.html

And looked around?  I see a few drivers for that card related to SCO
Unix 3.2v4.2
218dsk3.zip - Drivers for SCO Unix 3.2.4.2, Open Desktop 3 and Open
Server 5

I think the BTLD name is either dpti5 or just dpti.

Post by Sean Davi » Tue, 10 Oct 2000 13:27:37

> >I am currently working on upgrading a system that is running 3.2v4.2
> >with the Y2K patch installed.  The system is used for a monster
> >database and we want to increase the speed of disk accessibility.
> >Towards these ends we installed a DPT Century V (PM2654U2)controller
> >with 32 Mb of cache for one drive.  The cache has helped
significantly
> >with the new drive, however we want to take this further and actually
> >get an array running.  I installed 2 Seagate 18.2 Gb ultra 2 lvd
drives
> >and set them up as a RAID 0 stack after disconnecting the existing
> >drive.  The problem is that 3.2v4.2 doesn't see the RAID stack after
> >this at all.  The Controller reports it as a 36.4 Gb DPT drive, 4444
> >cylinders, 255 heads an 63 sectors.  I have tried the emergency boot
> >disks and the install disks.  Nothing is recognizing it.  I have not
> >found anything on the net about the limitations of 3.2v4.2 on drives.
> >Is it just the size, the fact that it has 255 heads or what?  Any
> >suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

> You never mention if you have installed the appropriate driver or BTLD
> for the RAID controller.

> Have you visited here:
> http://www.adaptec.com/support/overview/dptraid_dl.html

> And looked around?  I see a few drivers for that card related to SCO
> Unix 3.2v4.2
> 218dsk3.zip - Drivers for SCO Unix 3.2.4.2, Open Desktop 3 and Open
> Server 5

> I think the BTLD name is either dpti5 or just dpti.

The bootable system drive is the one that I disconnected.  However when
I boot the system off of the emergency boot disk made by the backup
software (which includes the BTLD, I have restored the normal drive
from it before) or off the SCO install disk with the BTLD installed (I
have the disk that came with the controller and the manual, I also did
the original install on the other drive).  When the system boots
hwconfig off the emergency disk and the install disk come up saying
that the controller is there and the tape drive (but the tape is on
controller 1, whereas all the disks are on controller 0).  I set up the
RAID on the other 2 drives mostly as a test to make sure that the
system would pick it up.  In retrospect I'm  very glad I left the main
drive alone.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

SCO 3.2v4.2 hard disk recognition

Post by sppal.. » Tue, 10 Oct 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> I am currently working on upgrading a system that is running 3.2v4.2
> with the Y2K patch installed.  The system is used for a monster
> database and we want to increase the speed of disk accessibility.
> Towards these ends we installed a DPT Century V (PM2654U2)controller
> with 32 Mb of cache for one drive.  The cache has helped significantly
> with the new drive, however we want to take this further and actually
> get an array running.  I installed 2 Seagate 18.2 Gb ultra 2 lvd
drives
> and set them up as a RAID 0 stack after disconnecting the existing
> drive.  The problem is that 3.2v4.2 doesn't see the RAID stack after
> this at all.  The Controller reports it as a 36.4 Gb DPT drive, 4444
> cylinders, 255 heads an 63 sectors.
> I have tried the emergency boot
> disks and the install disks.  Nothing is recognizing it.  I have not
> found anything on the net about the limitations of 3.2v4.2 on drives.
> Is it just the size, the fact that it has 255 heads or what?  Any

You do have one little (big) problem here.  SCO 3.2v4.2 has a
filesystem limitation of 2GB.  Given that limitation and a limit of 4-
fdisk partitions per drive, you have a theoretical maximum of 8GB of
storage per disk drive.

Time to upgrade to a more robust operating system, either OpenServer or
UnixWare, provided your applications will port over cleanly.

Quote:

Post by Tom Parson » Tue, 10 Oct 2000 04:00:00

| > I am currently working on upgrading a system that is running 3.2v4.2
| > with the Y2K patch installed.  The system is used for a monster
| > database and we want to increase the speed of disk accessibility.
| > Towards these ends we installed a DPT Century V (PM2654U2)controller
| > with 32 Mb of cache for one drive.  The cache has helped significantly
| > with the new drive, however we want to take this further and actually
| > get an array running.  I installed 2 Seagate 18.2 Gb ultra 2 lvd
| drives
| > and set them up as a RAID 0 stack after disconnecting the existing
| > drive.  The problem is that 3.2v4.2 doesn't see the RAID stack after
| > this at all.  The Controller reports it as a 36.4 Gb DPT drive, 4444
| > cylinders, 255 heads an 63 sectors.
| > I have tried the emergency boot
| > disks and the install disks.  Nothing is recognizing it.  I have not
| > found anything on the net about the limitations of 3.2v4.2 on drives.
| > Is it just the size, the fact that it has 255 heads or what?  Any
| > suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
|

| You do have one little (big) problem here.  SCO 3.2v4.2 has a
| filesystem limitation of 2GB.  Given that limitation and a limit of 4-
| fdisk partitions per drive, you have a theoretical maximum of 8GB of
| storage per disk drive.

Not quite properly stated.  The maximum filesize on 3.2v4.2, as on
OpenServer is 2 gig.  Partitions and filesystems can be larger although
one is advised to get UOD418A which contains a revised fsck.

| Time to upgrade to a more robust operating system, either OpenServer or
| UnixWare, provided your applications will port over cleanly.

No disagreement here.

Post by Sean Davi » Tue, 10 Oct 2000 04:00:00

> | You do have one little (big) problem here.  SCO 3.2v4.2 has a
> | filesystem limitation of 2GB.  Given that limitation and a limit of 4-
> | fdisk partitions per drive, you have a theoretical maximum of 8GB of
> | storage per disk drive.

> Not quite properly stated.  The maximum filesize on 3.2v4.2, as on
> OpenServer is 2 gig.  Partitions and filesystems can be larger although
> one is advised to get UOD418A which contains a revised fsck.

> | Time to upgrade to a more robust operating system, either OpenServer or
> | UnixWare, provided your applications will port over cleanly.

> No disagreement here.
> --

The idea of upgrading has come up before.  I personally am all for it.  I am
much more familiar with Openserver 5 than 3.2V4.2.  On top of that it would
give us TCP rather than the existing serial (slow).  When we first did the
setup with the controller the thought had come up, but we managed to get it
up and running with the old system.

You may recall that I had posted some time ago about it locking during heavy
disk activity.  I finally managed to get ahold of DPT engineers and after 4
months of harrassing them the finally said, "oh, yeah, there's an issue with
3.2V4.2 and the bios on the card"  they e-mailed me the engineering release
of the bios and it's worked fine ever since.  Aparrently it had similair
issues with openserver, but they had a BIOS update for that ages ago.

Anyways, thank you for the suggestions, then and now.  Unfortunately I won't
have chaance to get at it until Friday.  Any other advice is greatly
appreciated.

The Deanox Group Inc.  www.deanox.com

SCO 3.2v4.2 hard disk recognition

Post by sppal.. » Tue, 10 Oct 2000 04:00:00

> | > I am currently working on upgrading a system that is running
3.2v4.2
> | > with the Y2K patch installed.  The system is used for a monster
> | > database and we want to increase the speed of disk accessibility.
> | > Towards these ends we installed a DPT Century V (PM2654U2)
controller
> | > with 32 Mb of cache for one drive.  The cache has helped
significantly
> | > with the new drive, however we want to take this further and
actually
> | > get an array running.  I installed 2 Seagate 18.2 Gb ultra 2 lvd
> | drives
> | > and set them up as a RAID 0 stack after disconnecting the existing
> | > drive.  The problem is that 3.2v4.2 doesn't see the RAID stack
after
> | > this at all.  The Controller reports it as a 36.4 Gb DPT drive,
4444
> | > cylinders, 255 heads an 63 sectors.
> | > I have tried the emergency boot
> | > disks and the install disks.  Nothing is recognizing it.  I have
not
> | > found anything on the net about the limitations of 3.2v4.2 on
drives.
> | > Is it just the size, the fact that it has 255 heads or what?  Any
> | > suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
> |

> | You do have one little (big) problem here.  SCO 3.2v4.2 has a
> | filesystem limitation of 2GB.  Given that limitation and a limit of
4-
> | fdisk partitions per drive, you have a theoretical maximum of 8GB of
> | storage per disk drive.

I stand corrected on part of the statement (that's what I get for not
reviewing my notes and relying on memory, memory is not what it used to
be)  however I will stand by the 2GB filesystem limitation.  One may
have up to seven filesystem slices per fdisk partition.  Given that you
can have seven filesystems per fdisk partition that would make 28-2GB
unix filesystem slices per disk for a theoretical maximum of 56GB.

I will concede that there is support in the OS for much larger
filesystem sizes however divvy and fsck still have a 2GB limit.  this
is per TA 104467 (http://www.sco.com/cgi-bin/ssl_reference?104467)

Quote:

> Not quite properly stated.  The maximum filesize on 3.2v4.2, as on
> OpenServer is 2 gig.  Partitions and filesystems can be larger
although
> one is advised to get UOD418A which contains a revised fsck.

UOD418A was intended to fix problems with filesystem sizes above 1.6GB.

Quote:

> | Time to upgrade to a more robust operating system, either
OpenServer or
> | UnixWare, provided your applications will port over cleanly.

> No disagreement here.
> --

==
==

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

1. Help - moving SCO 3.2v4.2 to new hard disk

Hi can anyone please me. Need copy of SCO Technical Article on moving SCO
3.2v3.2 (aka OpenSever 3.0) boot/root to new hard disk.

Briefly (?) the scenario is
- The boot/root SCSI hard disk is starting to fail (1GB SCSI on Adaptec 2940)
- Cannot get same drive easily so we are given a 2GB SCSI
- Do partial install on new hard disk to get boot code on disk
   (with different file system sizes)
- Restore from root file system backup
- System boots OK to single user mode but will not mount any file system. Get
  the message "cannot stat /dev/xxx" where xxx is the raw device file name.

Suspect this is basically due to me doing it incorrectly e.g. Attempted
to get a copy of the aritcle from the SCO Support Web site but it could
not find it. Found the article for 3.2v2.0 but this refers to this other
article for 3.2v4.2 (the one I could not find).

Post and/or email - thanks in advance

--
Hugh Billitzer

"panic: /dev/null corrupted - bit bucket leak detected"

2. BootLoader --------- HEEEEEEEEEELP

3. Hard Disk Recognition, Problem With

4. redhat 7.3 with server Dell freeze after 48 hours

5. linux bootup stall on hard disk recognition

6. Linux problem !

7. How can I upgrade my Sco Unix 3.2v4.1 to 3.2v4.2 ?

8. webcam problem

9. SCO 3.2v4 boot disk (N1)

10. SCO 3.2v4.2 Creating New Disk

11. SCO 3.2v4.2 w/ 4GB SCSI Disk

12. SCO 3.2v4.2 Install not working with EIDE disk drives?

13. can't add scsi disk to sco unix 3.2v4.2