group memberships

Post by BigB » Thu, 30 Jan 1997 04:00:00

I run on sco 3.2V4.2 and i have a question regarding group memberships,

I have a user who has his effective group (gid) set to cdigroup (group
100), and is also member of other groups including scq (group 1000), if he
wants to read a file like the following :

rw- r-- ---    sys    scq    32    Aug    21    08:49    filex

he cannot unless he does sg -g scq

Can you tell me why and explain me how the group members interact because i
tought that when you are member of a group you should be able to read the
file without having to go trought sg command.......

thank you for your time.

Bruno

group memberships

+
+I have a user who has his effective group (gid) set to cdigroup (group
+100), and is also member of other groups including scq (group 1000), if he
+wants to read a file like the following :
+
+rw- r-- ---    sys    scq    32    Aug    21    08:49    filex
+
+he cannot unless he does sg -g scq
+
+Can you tell me why and explain me how the group members interact because i
+tought that when you are member of a group you should be able to read the
+file without having to go trought sg command.......

Yes, you should be able to use the authorizations for all groups you're a
member of, as long as you're not in more groups than the size of the group
vector (the configure parameter NGROUP; in 3.2v4, 8 by default & 16 max).
This depends on the group vector being initialized correctly at login (note
that various non-login methods of acquiring a user ID do not initialize the
supplemental group vector).  Try doing 'id -s'; this will list the supplemental
group vector.

        John
--

1. Group membership for a group

Hello,

my question is: Is there any possibility for a group do be a Part of
an other group?

For example:
The group "Chiefs" should be part of the group "Employees".

Is this possible or have I add the username of the group chiefs to the
group employees????

Thx.
Marty

2. WinME <-> Mandrake 7.2 dual boot

3. Group membership problem

4. big mem patch

5. How to do automatic group membership?

6. Linux Question

7. More than 32 group membership problem

8. Free Flash files / Templates

9. file permissions & group membership when uploading files via FTP

10. Problem with multi-group membership? SOLVED

11. Group Membership

12. add a group membership to all users

13. Secondary group membership