SW RAID Setup on SCO 5.0.5

Post by James Coberl » Tue, 28 Dec 1999 04:00:00

I woul dlike to set up a Raid system,  I have 3 drives in the machine.
ready for a fresh install.

How do I establish a Raid Drive setup?

Thanks,

James

SW RAID Setup on SCO 5.0.5

Post by Tony Lawrenc » Tue, 28 Dec 1999 04:00:00

> I woul dlike to set up a Raid system,  I have 3 drives in the machine.
> ready for a fresh install.

> How do I establish a Raid Drive setup?

Either by software or hardware, with the latter probably
easiest in your situation.  See
http://www.aplawrence.com/Unixart/raid.html for general raid
concepts,  http://www.aplawrence.com/Reviews/dptraid.html
for a review of one hardware solution, and
http://www.aplawrence.com/UW/vxva.html for a look at a
Unixware software implementation.  1776 also has a software
solution: http://www.1776soft.com/

The problem with most software implementations is that it is
impossible or extremely troublesome to include the boot disk
in the array.  With hardware, that's never an issue- the
raid is entirely transparent.  However, the software
implementations can and ofen do offer more flexibility- the
ability to shrink and grow filesystems on the fly, the
ability to take snapshots and freeze them for backups, etc.

--

SCO articles, help, book reviews, tests,
job listings and more : http://www.ApLawrence.com

1. HW RAID vs SW RAID

Hi all,

I've recently experienced a double diskcrash on a f50 (running aix 4.3.3)
with mirrorred disks. The two disks which crashed were mirrors of eachother.
The mirror was SW controlled.

A colleague later told me that he had experienced exactly the same thing.

It is possible that the SW controlled mirrors are that unstable? Is there
any way to improve a SW controlled mirror?

- thomas

2. Help - X.25 ?

3. feasability - mirror ide + raid-5 scsi (sw raid)

4. Newbie question : Periodic executing a task

5. Reconfiguring one SW-RAID when other RAIDs are running

6. Using Crypt Command

7. Migrating to a RAID 1 setup (hardware RAID)

8. StarOffice install problem

9. SW RAID 5 Problem

10. Promise Ultra 66 and Quantum Drives with SW Raid (Striped)

11. SW-Raid-1 on AXP with raidtools ?

12. Oracle on AIX, SW/HW-RAID on discs??

13. Evaluation of HW/SW-RAID configurations for Linux (RFD, long)