E-mail is acting strange, incoming mail but not to mailbox??

E-mail is acting strange, incoming mail but not to mailbox??

Post by Bob Will » Thu, 08 Jan 1998 04:00:00

OK, here is a strange one.

all
along, an SMTP connection to our ISP, and we read e-mail via POP (Outlook
98).
Today, Outlook said it had a Mail Error (Timeout), so I went looking.  In
the /usr/spool/mail directory there was a bob.lock file.  So I removed
it.
Then a bunch of e-mail dumped into bob (over 748mb) and it was repeats
upon
repeats.  So I moved the file to my home directory under a different name
(mv /usr/spool/mail  /u/bob/text.mail) so that it would not interfere
with
anything.

No deliver will not deliver local mail to bob.  Every other user is fine.
SMTP mail is coming in fine.  (bob mail is sitting in the local queue -
MMDF)  Nothing I do now will allow any mail to go to bob.  I removed the
/usr/spool/mail/bob file, and it almost immediately will create a bob
file
with zero bytes.
When I do a checkmail -m, it shows all of the queued up bob e-mail
showing
as bob:not yet sent

I have run a /usr/mmdf/bin/checkque (nothing abnormal shows).
I have run /usr/mmdf/bin/cleanque   /usr/mmdf/bin/cleanlck
We have plenty of free disk space (2.2 gb free) and plenty of free inodes
(7% used).
/usr/sys is mode 755, owned by sys, group sys

I even did a shutdown and restarted the system, and not e-mail will go to
bob.
I looked for any strange files in the home directory (/u/bob), nothing.

If I go to a UNIX prompt (logged on as bob) and type mail, it just moves
the
cursor down to the next line and hangs. (no error, no nothing).  It is
like
there is  lock file somewhere, but I have not found one.

Thanks for any assistance.
If I am missing anything above, just let me know and I will be glad to
post
any further info.

CCS Enterprises, Inc.   http://www.ccs.com
P.O. Drawer 1690      Easton MD  21601
(410) 820-4670       FAX: (410) 476-5261
Personal: http://www.intercom.net/user/consult

--

| CCS Enterprises, Inc.   P.O. Drawer 1690     Easton MD  21601 |
|               http://www.ccs.com     Come Visit Us !!         |

1. Mail for MY e-mail is acting strange today (no incoming e-mail)

OK, here is a strange one.

[...]

2. DNS lookups - SunOS 4.1.1

3. Auto forwarding all incoming mails to another mailbox

4. Educational software/CDs for Linux?

5. Redirecting mail messages from user mailbox to another mailbox

6. dynamic lib with gcc-2.7.2

7. Kmail will not filter my incoming e-mails

8. tcsh/csh expression alias redone for bash

9. Problem with smail not delivering incoming e-mail

10. can't open inbox (file /var/spool/mail/username): not in valid mailbox format

11. A strange error....I am not able to allow to see man pages...

12. port not open for incoming mail.

13. search for mails in multible mailboxes with pgp-encrypted mails