Changing Swap file size??

Post by Scott Tud » Thu, 22 Aug 1996 04:00:00

Anybody know of a way to (1) view the size of my swap partition in
sco 3.2 and (2) change the size of my swap partition without repartitioning
the root disk?

Thanks in advance,
scott

--
You can never tell when a thinking man is working.         -anonymous.

Changing Swap file size??

Post by Bob » Sat, 24 Aug 1996 04:00:00

'man swap' helps in this regard; swap -l (I *think*) lists and swap -a
adds (I *think*) but I haven't tried it.

- Bob N.

: Anybody know of a way to (1) view the size of my swap partition in
: sco 3.2 and (2) change the size of my swap partition without repartitioning
: the root disk?

: Thanks in advance,
: scott

: --

Post by Stephen M. Du » Tue, 03 Sep 1996 04:00:00

$Anybody know of a way to (1) view the size of my swap partition in
$sco 3.2 and (2) change the size of my swap partition without repartitioning
$the root disk?

   There are several ways of checking for information on your system's
swap configuration.  These include the swap command, divvy, and looking
at the output at boot time (logged in /usr/adm/messages) for the entry
which states how large your swap device is.

   As for changing the size of swap, you have a few options.  If you
have some free space on a hard drive, you could always add a second
swap area.  If your unknown version ("3.2" is part of the version number
for all SCO Unix releases, and completely identifies no version of SCO
Unix) is OSR5, you can also use space on a filesystem for this.

   If you want to have just one swap device, you don't need to
repartition - but you will probably need to rejig a couple of
divisions, which is probably what you were thinking of.  To take
some space from a filesystem (so that you can add that space to
/dev/swap), you will need to delete and recreate the division hosting
that filesystem, and when you do that the filesystem is toast.

   More information can be found in TFM and TFFAQ.

Manager, Technical Services                     United System Solutions Inc.
104 Carnforth Road, Toronto, ON, Canada M4A 2K7          (416) 750-7946 x251

1. Changing Swap File Size

I want to increase the size of my swap file and want to know if the
following steps are the correct way to proceed. FYI, I am running
Slackware Pro 2.1, kernel 1.1.59, sbpcd and umsdos. I currently have a 8
meg swap file and want to increase it to 16 megs.

        swapoff     (turn off swapping to existing swap file)

        dd if=/dev/zero of=/swap bs=1024 count=16384

        mkswap /swap 16384

        /etc/sync

        swapon /swap

Please correct me if I am in error. I am still quite a novice at Linux.
Thank you.

Stephen E. Farlow           Amateur Radio Call:  KJ5YN
Houston, TX.

2. make allyesconfig?

3. Changing swap file size

4. Neurotic mouse

5. Solaris: change swap size

6. login error message

7. Changing size of swap drive

8. TOKEN RING

9. Changing swap partition size

10. How to Change Size of SWAP Partition at Installation (Solaris 9, Ultra 10)

11. Change of partition size for swap without destroying data

12. Changing swap Size

13. Changing the size of a swap partition?