Setup PPP on SCO 5.0.2c machine

Post by Deepak Thadan » Sat, 29 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Hello,
        I want to configure PPP to start a connection with an ISP
and the ISP assigns an IP dynamically to the SCO machine.  I tried
to run (SCO 5.0.2c) pppconf and I got an error saying that the file
/etc/ppphosts was missing, so I copied it to the system from another
5.0 system I have in the office.  I then tried the pppconf command
and it worked...only, when I tried to create a dynamic outgoing
ppp session, it looked like everything worked, but when I re-ran
pppconf, there were no configured ppp connections.

What gives?  This is a machine with a fresh install of SCO UNIX
and has nothing else on there except for the Network drivers for
the network card (SMC).  Am I doing something wrong?  Should I have
installed something else to configure ppp first?  How do I know my
system has all the right files for the ppp link to work? Am I going
about it the right way?

Lots of questions, no?  (Ok, that one shouldn't be answered. ;)

Thanks for the help all.

Post by Tony Earnsha » Sun, 30 Mar 1997 04:00:00

> Hello,
>         I want to configure PPP to start a connection with an ISP
> and the ISP assigns an IP dynamically to the SCO machine.  I tried
> to run (SCO 5.0.2c) pppconf and I got an error saying that the file
> /etc/ppphosts was missing, so I copied it to the system from another
> 5.0 system I have in the office.  I then tried the pppconf command
> and it worked...only, when I tried to create a dynamic outgoing
> ppp session, it looked like everything worked, but when I re-ran
> pppconf, there were no configured ppp connections.

Please read my post to Rick Newton. You should be looking at Morning
Star PPP in the Desktop documentation, you should not be running pppconf
and there should be no such thing as /etc/ppphosts

--
Tony Earnshaw
ALLDATA BV

http://www.alldata.nl

********* THE DIFFERENCE IS UNIX ***********

1. Keyboard codes under SCO 5.0.2c

Hi,

I am running two systems, one using SCO OpenServer Enterprise System
v5.0.0.b and another using v5.0.2c.  The program I am having trouble
with uses the keypress <CTRL-SHIFT-F1> .. <CTRL-SHIFT-F12>.  This
works fine under the old version but the program does not receive the
keyboard control codes under the new version.  The program runs under
X-Windows and the two SCO's have slightly different versions of
X-Windows (one is 3.6.0 and the other is 3.6.1.  I thought that maybe
these key combinations where used by X-Windows in the new version of
something.

Has anyone seen anything like this before ?  or even better does any
know if detailed release notes for each version of SCO and it's
components are available ?  I have tried www.sco.com but haven't been
able to find any detailed release notes.

Thanks in advance

Jason

2. UMSDOS Help, please!

3. Locale error on SCO OpenServer 5.0.2c

4. Virtual Server

5. Sco ODS 5.0.2c ftp freeze

6. Ethernet Setup

7. SCO 5.0.2c with 3 x HP J2585B and 4 x 200 Pentium Pro

8. URL for sys admin stuff?

9. SCO 5.0.2c with 3 x HP J2585B solved

10. PPP: RH 5.0 - netcfg broke working ppp setup...

11. PPP linux 1.2.6 ppp-2.1.2c problems

12. PANIC: lock timeout in OSR5.0.2c with SMP 5.0.2DP

13. Licence Manager crashing on 5.0.2c