Printer server

Post by Sel Nic » Thu, 27 Jul 2000 04:00:00

How can I know which printer server is running on a unix server (SCO
OPENSERVER) and on which portnumber?

Thanks a lot

NR

Printer server

Post by Jeff Lieberman » Thu, 27 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>How can I know which printer server is running on a unix server (SCO
>OPENSERVER) and on which portnumber?

By supplying the name and model number of your print server.
A port scanner will not show the printer ports as there is no output,
only input.  If you have a good guess, just telnet to the port.  If the
port can be opened, it will connect but nothing will happen.  If the port
is not active, it will refuse the connection.
        http://www.cruzio.com/~jeffl/sco/lp/printservers.htm

--

150 Felker St #D  Santa Cruz CA  95060
831-421-6491 pager   831-429-1240 fax

Printer server

Post by Yves Lecler » Thu, 27 Jul 2000 04:00:00

SCO OpenServer does not have a print server installed by default.  One must
install one.

I know that there are a few.  I know of only the following:

    SCO Advanced File and Print Server
    VisionFS
    hpnp (HP Network print servers -- usually Jetdirects)

I also heard about  these ones, but have not used/tried them at all:

    SCO OpenSever remote print services
    lpd

Yves

Quote:> How can I know which printer server is running on a unix server (SCO
> OPENSERVER) and on which portnumber?

> Thanks a lot

> NR

Printer server

Post by Sel Nic » Fri, 28 Jul 2000 04:00:00

How do I know which portnumber hpnp is using?

NR

> SCO OpenServer does not have a print server installed by default.  One
must
> install one.

> I know that there are a few.  I know of only the following:

>     SCO Advanced File and Print Server
>     VisionFS
>     hpnp (HP Network print servers -- usually Jetdirects)

> I also heard about  these ones, but have not used/tried them at all:

>     SCO OpenSever remote print services
>     lpd

> Yves

> > How can I know which printer server is running on a unix server (SCO
> > OPENSERVER) and on which portnumber?

> > Thanks a lot

> > NR

Printer server

Post by Jeff Lieberman » Fri, 28 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>How do I know which portnumber hpnp is using?

HPNP uses 9100 by default.  It's in the file:
        /usr/spool/lp/admins/lp/interfaces/name_of_printer
in the variable "PORTNO".

See:
 How do I configure the HP JetDirect EX Plus3 Print
 Server to use HPNP?
        http://www.sco.com/cgi-bin/ssl_reference?105327

--

150 Felker St #D  Santa Cruz CA  95060
831-421-6491 pager   831-429-1240 fax
http://www.cruzio.com/~jeffl/sco/   SCO stuff

1. Solaris printer server printing garbage to all printers.

Hi Folks,
        Before I start please let me know if this is the correct
        newsgroup to send to.

        I ahve a ss1+ running 2.5.1, used as a central print server.

        It runs the Sun supplied lpsched. Printers are all
        network printers, Mainly ~30 HP jetDirect, some Tektronics
        and some going via Emulex print servers.

        All runs well, except sometimes all the printers
        suddenly start printing kak,

        ie.

\033%-12345X\c

(rest of line runs off page as it doesn't worfwrap)

The only solution at this point is to reboot. Does anyone recognise
this error message or point me in the right direction?

Please feel free to email direct or post to the group.p

Kind regards,

Simon.

Simon J Loewenthal      -       ESO Helpdesk

www.eso.org/it               -       Karl-Schwarzschild-Strasse 2
++49-89-320-06333       -       D-85748 Garching bei Munchen
                        -       Germany

2. RealPlayer 7 buggy?

3. Need help with configuring system as dial access server and printer server.

4. EWS 1.1.1 error

5. File Server & Printer Server on FreeBSD

6. PPP 'unknown option 4' error

7. good printer servers that support lpr?

8. Sun Update Connection (aka patch management)

9. Q: NT printer server error / solaris 2.8

10. Bogus remote printer server

11. Remote Printer server - lpd: hplp malformed from address.

12. setup printer server

13. Linux PC as printer server and AIX