printer permissions. kinda complicated...watchout!

Post by Richard Howlet » Sun, 27 Sep 1998 04:00:00

> ok...

> i have 4 printers...2 are local and 2 are remote...

> i have 1 user who is connected remotely trying to print from some COBOL
> program.  getting the "ERROR:lp: you are not allow to print to PT1, check
> lpstat -p to see which printers you can print to, they are marked available"
> but PT1 appears to be available to that user.  i reproduce the problem
> locally with a normal user.  same thing.  ROOT, however, CAN print to the
> remote printer with no problem.

> so i check permissions in /etc/lp/printers/PT1/users.allow....it says "all",
> just for safety sake i add the two users who were having the problem
> "all,kurtis,acpi"...no luck.

> please advise me, someone, where i should look to rectify this problem...this
> remote guy is going to beat me.

> thank you in advance.

It's not the permissions on the spool directory (/usr/spool/lp/temp) or
on the interface scripts directory (/usr/spool/lp/admins/lp/interfaces)
is it? Check both directory and contents of the second one. Not sure
what the permissions, owner and group should be (on a Windoze system at
the moment :-( ).

What is PT1 connected to: Mux card or parallel port? It maybe the
permissions on the device file are not correct...

--
Richard Howlett

Post by Tony Lawrenc » Mon, 28 Sep 1998 04:00:00

> > so i check permissions in /etc/lp/printers/PT1/users.allow....it says "all",
> > just for safety sake i add the two users who were having the problem
> > "all,kurtis,acpi"...no luck.

..

Quote:

> What is PT1 connected to: Mux card or parallel port? It maybe the
> permissions on the device file are not correct...

I have definitely seen moronic programs that check the device
file even though they are going to print through the spooler.  A
good sign that you have one of those is that it has a setup
program that insists upon knowing both the spooler name
and the device name. In such cases, if the intent is only
to spool, you can sometimes get away creating a fake file in /dev
with open permissions just to make it happy.  Lying to dumb programs
is a major source of happiness for me :-)

However, in this case he said he has two users who have the problem.
Unless he phrased this badly, I'd interpret that as there
are other users who can print?

--

SCO ACE
SCO articles, help, book reviews: http://www.aplawrence.com

1. lprng: printer-specific permissions?

Hi!

I'm running an lprng print server available to a certain number of IP
addresses.  One queue, however, shall only be available to localhost, all
connections orginating from other hosts shall be rejected.

Does anyone know how to set up /etc/lpd.perms for this purpose?  Or do I
have to use another lpd.perms file in the respective spool directory?

Thanks for any hint,
Oliver

2. Installing SunOS 4.1.1 on a Sun 3/50 using RZ56 drive

3. Printer Backend Permissions Problem

4. Solaris 2.5.1 HW >= 11/97 for U5

5. Insufficient Permissions to Spool directory with Samba printer

6. mail

7. SB Live, printer, and permissions

8. web phone not working

9. giving users permission to restart printer queue

10. Printer problem: Permission denied

11. Problem w/ SCO UNIX 3.2.4.2 with printer permission on DG 2600

12. Need help with a complicated script.

13. Linux or how to build something very complicated??