Unlocking terminals manually......?

Post by Paul Jam » Wed, 10 Jan 1996 04:00:00

I want to be able to unlock pseudo terminals (ttypXX) without going into
sysadmsh.

I'd like to add this functionality to an admin type of users menu,
without giving them all the access that sysadmsh allows them.

On the other hand, is there a way that I can restrict the functionality
of sysadmsh when run by an admin user?

TNX
Paul James

1. Manually unlock /dev/dsp ?

Hi,

Sometimes an application crashes but leaves /dev/dsp locked (when I
want to play sound with xmms etc. I get the error message that
/dev/dsp is unavailable). Is there any way to manually unlock it ?

When I do /sbin/fuser /dev/dsp no processes are shown, but I still
cannot use /dev/dsp. ?

Or are there any other ways around it ? I use neither aRts nor esd (I
found that both are not supported by very many applications yet), but
use the direct OSS.

Btw, I'm running RH7.1 with the 2.4.7 Kernel, and I use the soundchip
included on my MSI K7T-Turbo (VIA 82C686 Chipset).

thanks for any help, PMK

2. Advice needed on purchasing an inexpensive ISA SCSI controller.

3. ISDN: don't unlock lp if there is nothing to unlock

4. Unix - Frequently Asked Questions (Contents) [Frequent posting]

5. unlocking locked terminals on 3.2v4.2

6. gif & jpeg help

7. Script to unlock locked terminals

8. Can only use sound card as root?!?

9. unlocking XFree86 lockup on linux

10. Q: >:-<< Weird - unlocked, clean and not uptodate buffer on list 0 0b:0

11. Num Unlock

12. double unlock on device queue!

13. S10 only root can unlock screen do su