100-200 or more users hitting a SINGLE SCO SERVER from multiple sites

100-200 or more users hitting a SINGLE SCO SERVER from multiple sites

Post by Brian Keith Smit » Fri, 06 Dec 1996 04:00:00

Has any company out there implemented SCO or SCO Openserver on a single
server with 100-200 users hitting the box at once.
I want to implement a SCO system where there would be 100-200 users hitting
the box hard simultaneously all day every day. I'm currently looking into
dual/quad pentium pro servers with SCSI-2FW RAID controllers and drives
with approx 384 MB RAM and around 20 GB disk storage. Our file sizes top
out at around 250MB per file and the file structure used by our RM-COBOL
based application is ISAM based.

Is anyone running a system with this many users hitting a SINGLE SCO
SERVER? Our terminals are running FacetTerm currently, and they will
continue to if we migrate to SCO. Our PC's will connect via Ethernet and
run Advanced File and Print Server to share files and printers.

Anyone with info, please reply... I'm trying to decide if this is the best
way for my company to approach their system's upgrade.
--
Brian Keith Smith
Carolina Handling, LLC

Post by Aris Stathaki » Sat, 07 Dec 1996 04:00:00

> Has any company out there implemented SCO or SCO Openserver on a single
> server with 100-200 users hitting the box at once.
> I want to implement a SCO system where there would be 100-200 users hitting
> the box hard simultaneously all day every day.

Yes, the previous company I worked at used this kind of system.  One
large SCO box (A Compaq), with between 200 and 300 users logging in via
telnet from 6 different locations via a WAN.  We had 64k links
connecting all the different sites using routers, and logged in from
Windows PC's, dumb terminals and printers via terminal servers.

The SCO box had two 100Mb/s (HP 100VG) ethernet cards to handle any
extra load.

Worked like a Charm :-)

Aris

1. 100-200 or more Users on a SCO BOX

My company is looking to go with SCO running on a Dual or Quad Pentium Pro
Box. We will have somewhere between 250 and 300 users hitting it at once.
Has anyone else done this? And on what kind of machine? How is your
performance? Does SCO crash or have problems with that many users? My users
would be hitting it hard for 8-10 hrs a day, every day.Also, some of our
users will be using FacetTerm and will have 3 sessions available to them.

Any past experience would be appreciated.
--
Brian Keith Smith
Carolina Handling, LLC

2. NE2000 vs Linux -- NE2000 is winning...

3. Anyone knows how to setup a Apache server for multiple users(200+)...

4. WABI for RS6000, Model 250

5. a single Intel server run 10 to 200 instances of Linux

6. A problem installing emacs 19.34

7. Multiple sites on a single server

8. reading r10k counters via c++

9. Multiple web sites on a single server

10. Netra T1 100 - T1 200 - 120 Differences

11. cannot get Asante FAST 10/100 PCI card to work in Starmax 4000/200 LINUXPPC 2000

12. AlphaStation 200 4/100 Sound question