help:how to replace new unix kernel with unix.old?

help:how to replace new unix kernel with unix.old?

Post by Yue-hong Zhe » Sun, 08 Dec 1996 04:00:00

My system :     sco open server 5
                P133 cpu,16M memory,scsi 2940 adapter,quantum 1G scsi
                disk, IDE controller,quantum 1G IDE disk
                In CMOS, dirve c is "not installed"

After I installed sco on the scsi disk( I used the whole disk for unix
partiton), I try to also make use of the IDE disk. And  I did a "mkdev
hd", try to add a IDE disk. I get a kernel panic after recompiling the
kernel.

Next time, when I boot the system, I have to type unix.old at the boot
prompt. I like to replace the new kernel with the old one, so I did the
following:
                umount /stand
                mount /stand
                cd /stand
                cp unix.old unix

Now I can boot without typing unix.old.

But I guess what I have done is not complete, because later on when I try
to add another serial port, I was given that "kernel panic" again.

So, I think problem is when I try to replace the new kernel with old
kernel , I have missed something.

What have I missed here?

1. Help to boot new kernel with grub -delited the old kernel before tried the new one

Hi.
Can someone help, how to update Grub so I can boot into linux. I
updated the kernel with up2date software on RedHat and followed the
Instructions to delete the old kernel files from /boot and now I can't
boot into anything old or new kernel. What do I do to boot into linux.
And Grub boot loader doesn't let me run any usefull commands. Thank
you. I tried to update Redhat 7.3 so it would let me boot into linux
but that didn't work. Thank you.

2. How to capture bootstrap oops?

3. Need to move "unix.old" to "unix"!!!

4. Obscure sqlinit error

5. making unix.old the new default

6. [Fwd: Unix implementation of Windows GetProfileString]

7. Replacing old HDD with new bigger HDD, Please help me!

8. HTB blues

9. I am new to Unix and Unix Programming HELP!

10. ** Old UNIX Software -- History of UNIX **

11. Ft. Worth - Linux Kernel Module Programmer - Unix kernel modules & Unix device drivers

12. Samba questions (new to AIX, old to UNIX)

13. Unix command to change all old addresses to new...