Help for configure 2 Tape Drives for SCO UNIX

Help for configure 2 Tape Drives for SCO UNIX

Post by Hiu Kuan F » Fri, 13 Dec 1996 04:00:00

Dear PCBase,

        I need help to configure 2 Tape Drives for SCO UNIX (one is QIC Tape
drive (WANTEK) and the other is DAT Tape (Archie)).

        Before I install the QIC tape drive on COMPAQ SERVER running SCO UNIX;
I can access DAT drive; but after I install QIC Tape drive I can only
access the QIC tape but not the DAT Tape drive.

        During installation; there is question ask me whether I need to link
the QIC Tape drive to the default /dev/ ??? (sorry I forget the last
part) ??

        I hope somebody will give me some information or tips how to have two
tapes drive exist on SCO Unix

        Thanks

Help for configure 2 Tape Drives for SCO UNIX

Post by Roberto Zi » Fri, 13 Dec 1996 04:00:00

Quote:

>Dear PCBase,

>        I need help to configure 2 Tape Drives for SCO UNIX (one is QIC
Tape
>drive (WANTEK) and the other is DAT Tape (Archie)).

>        Before I install the QIC tape drive on COMPAQ SERVER running SCO
UNIX;
>I can access DAT drive; but after I install QIC Tape drive I can only
>access the QIC tape but not the DAT Tape drive.

>        During installation; there is question ask me whether I need to
link
>the QIC Tape drive to the default /dev/ ??? (sorry I forget the last
>part) ??

>        I hope somebody will give me some information or tips how to have
two
>tapes drive exist on SCO Unix

>        Thanks

Hi !

Never crossed this problem but it seems that the
/dev/rct0 device has been linked to the last tape
you added to the system. Please, try removing the
second tape and reconfigure the first one; once
you get it to work correctly, take note of the
major/minor number of the /dev/rct0 and create
a new node (e.g., /dev/tape1) with the same
numbers. Then add the second tape and take
note of the newly created /dev/rct0; perhaps,
by adding the second device, this node has been
changed to reflect the new configuration.

If you're lucky, you'll be able to access the first
tape bu using the previously created /dev/tape1
node while still able to access the second one by
using /dev/rct0.

See also tape(HW), cartridge(HW), floppytape(HW), irwin(HW)
and scsitape(HW).

Hope this helps !

Best,
Roberto

Strhold Sistemi EDP
Reggio Emilia      ITALY
Has anyone seen an aircraft carrier around ?

1. Help for configure 2 Tape Drives for SCO UNIX

Are these SCSI tape drives?

You can only have a single "default" tape drive on the system.  When
you select a tape drive as the default, the system makes the appropriate
links to /dev/nrct0, /dev/xct0, and /dev/rct0 (I think).  On my system,
these are links to /dev/nStp0, /dev/xStp0 and /dev/rStp0.  A second
SCSI tape would probably be /dev/[nxr]Stp1, but you need to confirm
that.

With this information in mind, how are you trying to access the second
tape drive?

----
Jim Sullivan            "Don't plant your bad days.  They grow into bad
SMB Segment Marketing    weeks and then bad months and before you know it

416 216 4611

2. Mounting System V R3 partitions (Interactive Unix)

3. Can an Iomega Ditto tape drive be configured on Free SCO OS5?

4. wireless card not working with iwspy

5. Portable tape drive for SCO UNIX...

6. unimplemented recvmsg

7. SCO Unix with a Wangtek tape drive

8. Solaris - core file information

9. using 14gb 8mm tape drive to write tapes for 2gb tape drive

10. Help: How to configure Tape Drive

11. Need help configuring Tape Drive (I think): Long: sorry.

12. Help installing/configuring tape drive

13. Help with configuring tape drive