portmapper problem

Post by Tony Ont » Fri, 27 Oct 2000 21:17:21

I have been having problems on a SCO 5.0.5 enterprise system. I changed
the IP address and now I cannot get the network to communicate. I get a
message,  'portmapper on server 192.168.1.110 is not responding'.  When
booting I see a message  'starting netbios bound to wrong address'. I
can ping 127.0.0.1 and I can ping 192.168.1.110. I cannot see another
machine on the network.

Tony

portmapper problem

Post by Andre George » Fri, 27 Oct 2000 23:13:47

See in /etc/hosts, you will find the old IP adress for your Host, remove
it.
Andr Georgel.

> I have been having problems on a SCO 5.0.5 enterprise system. I changed
> the IP address and now I cannot get the network to communicate. I get a
> message,  'portmapper on server 192.168.1.110 is not responding'.  When
> booting I see a message  'starting netbios bound to wrong address'. I
> can ping 127.0.0.1 and I can ping 192.168.1.110. I cannot see another
> machine on the network.

> Tony

portmapper problem

Post by Fabio Giannott » Sat, 28 Oct 2000 02:39:02

Quote:> I have been having problems on a SCO 5.0.5 enterprise system. I changed
> the IP address and now I cannot get the network to communicate. I get a
> message,  'portmapper on server 192.168.1.110 is not responding'.  When
> booting I see a message  'starting netbios bound to wrong address'. I
> can ping 127.0.0.1 and I can ping 192.168.1.110. I cannot see another
> machine on the network.

> Tony

The portmapper error is happening simply because /etc/hosts still has both
the old and new IP address for the server.  Simply delete the line that
contains the old address and this error should stop.  Note:  This error does
NOT affect actual use of the network, it is merely anoying.

Second, the netbios error can be fixed by editing /etc/default/nbconf and
changing the IP to the new address.  (Be sure to fix both the address and
broadcast variables.)  Note again that this would only affect netbios.

Even with both of these errors, you should still be able to ping the
machine, and even telnet to it.

If you can't, there is probably other problems...

Take care,
Fabio

portmapper problem

Post by Tom Parson » Sat, 28 Oct 2000 03:35:06

Fabio Giannotti enscribed:

| > I have been having problems on a SCO 5.0.5 enterprise system. I changed
| > the IP address and now I cannot get the network to communicate. I get a
| > message,  'portmapper on server 192.168.1.110 is not responding'.  When
| > booting I see a message  'starting netbios bound to wrong address'. I
| > can ping 127.0.0.1 and I can ping 192.168.1.110. I cannot see another
| > machine on the network.
| >
| > Tony
| >
| The portmapper error is happening simply because /etc/hosts still has both
| the old and new IP address for the server.  Simply delete the line that
| contains the old address and this error should stop.  Note:  This error does
| NOT affect actual use of the network, it is merely anoying.
|
| Second, the netbios error can be fixed by editing /etc/default/nbconf and
| changing the IP to the new address.  (Be sure to fix both the address and
| broadcast variables.)  Note again that this would only affect netbios.
|
| Even with both of these errors, you should still be able to ping the
| machine, and even telnet to it.
|
| If you can't, there is probably other problems...

And the other problem might be that it just can't find the network card.

1. portmapper problem

I am running Free SCO OpenServer 5.0.4.  Very recently I have noticed
a warning that appears during boot.

WARNING: portmapper on server is not responding

The message repeats itself several times.

The only thing I changed lately was the IP of the machine.

Is this causing the problem and if not any ideas on what could be?

Thanks in advance,
--Brad

2. kppp dial-up

3. RPC Portmapper problems

4. Good Notebook with Linux and XFree

5. portmapper problem...

6. Check if compression is enabled in TSM

7. reclusive portmapper; problems with 2 network interface machine

8. swapper not syncing ???

9. Portmapper problem

10. portmapper problems

11. portmapper problem!!!

12. Portmapper problem when mounting a partition via NFS

13. Help with weird portmapper problem