rcp/ftp problems between OS5/Unix & Unix/Unix

rcp/ftp problems between OS5/Unix & Unix/Unix

Post by Nick & Car » Tue, 05 Sep 1995 04:00:00

I'm about to setup a fairly large network that involves sending files
from various sites to a central server and sending files from the
server back to the sites.  The central server will be running OS5 and
the sites OS5 and/or Unix.  I've found that any account with super
user status does not want to work with rcp despite setting the machine
names in /etc/hosts.equiv and having the same names in /etc/passwd.
If I create a non-super user account on two machines I seem to be able
to rcp fron one to another but get a 'socket: permission denied' in
the reverse direction. This may be due to permissions/ownership on
/dev/socksys (I haven't checked this yet) . On the machine with the
socket problem I can rcmd the other system. The problem I would then
face if it works in the non-super user account is how can I fire up
the rcp from a super user account, will cd'ing to the directory and
issuing the rcp command work ?

The machines are going to be connected via ISDN lines. Is there a
simple way to fire a communication session if background using rcp or
FTP ? The application is in Microfocus Cobol. In the past where I've
used dial up modems & uucp I've just issued a call to the system with
no problem. Might I be better off using uucp with TCP/IP ?

If FTP could be triggered with the options on the command line then
this would sort things out nicely, I don't really want to have to
amend a .netrc each time I want to fire files at different systems
although I guess a multiple entry .netrc MIGHT just work .

Any help or suggestions would be most gratefully received.
E-mail would be preferable as it keeps the jolly old bandwidth down.

Cheers,

Nick.

Post by Rob D » Wed, 06 Sep 1995 04:00:00

: I'm about to setup a fairly large network that involves sending files
: from various sites to a central server and sending files from the
: server back to the sites.  The central server will be running OS5 and
: the sites OS5 and/or Unix.  I've found that any account with super
: user status does not want to work with rcp despite setting the machine
: names in /etc/hosts.equiv and having the same names in /etc/passwd.

Setting trusted host access in /etc/hosts.equiv does NOT extend trusted
access to root accounts.  If you want to trust the root account on
another host, you have to set this with trusted user access by placing
that host in the /.rhosts file (that is, the trusted user access file
for the root account).

Obviously, this would extent to using rcmd or rlogin as well.

rday

1. comp.unix.questions comp.unix.misc comp.unix.sys5.r3

Uh, I don't think so. But, the timers useable by setitimer() can be set for
100 millisecond intervals. Plus, a signal is generated when the particular
timer (you have 3 to choose from) expires. Instead of looping you could just
wait for the signal to occur. If no other signals are being delivered the
wait() call could be easily used for this purpose. Otherwise you'll want to
use the sigpause() call to only wake up when a certain signal is delivered.
Keep in mind that the actual time required to notify a process of a timer
expiring is dependant on the system load.

Jeff S. Dickson

2. urgent help on apache

3. Unix Unix Unix!

4. Problem with smbmount & BRU

5. comp.unix.wizards comp.lang.c comp.sys.sun alt.unix.wizards alt.unix.wizards.free

6. konsole not linking on Solaris - fixed, please test

7. unix unix, who's got unix...

8. Netscape 3.0 doesn't reload .class file even recompiled

9. alt.unix.wizard, alt.unix.wizard.free, comp.unix.admin

10. Communications - Unix to Unix vs Unix to DOS

12. Does any Know How To FTP between a Unix system and a Non Unix operating system.

13. CAN I FTP FILES FROM UNIX TO NOVELL SERVERS USING THE UNIX COMMAND LINE???