Host/Open Server Software/ Enterpise - ALL In Software Manager

Host/Open Server Software/ Enterpise - ALL In Software Manager

Post by Scott McPheeter » Thu, 26 Jun 1997 04:00:00

We had a SCO 5.0.0 Enterprise system crash and after it was restored in
Software manager HOST, Open Server AND Enterpise show up.  I am getting
errors that the Open Server Software is using the same license code as
host, I obviously am getting "need to register" messages.  Is there a way
to uninstall Open Server Software on the system?  This is an Enterpise
system and that is what the license we have is for.  I was also suprised to
see Host in the Software Manager since normally after I install Enterpise
it goes away.  I am not sure what is going on.  Any help would be
appriciated!  Thanks

Scott McPheeters
Pay Less Super Markets, Inc.

Post by Bela Lubki » Fri, 27 Jun 1997 04:00:00

> We had a SCO 5.0.0 Enterprise system crash and after it was restored in
> Software manager HOST, Open Server AND Enterpise show up.  I am getting
> errors that the Open Server Software is using the same license code as
> host, I obviously am getting "need to register" messages.  Is there a way
> to uninstall Open Server Software on the system?  This is an Enterpise
> system and that is what the license we have is for.  I was also suprised to
> see Host in the Software Manager since normally after I install Enterpise
> it goes away.  I am not sure what is going on.  Any help would be
> appriciated!  Thanks

Each of those entries is for a top-level product bundle.  More than one
should show up only if you actually installed more than one of them.
There *is* at least one legitimate scenario for doing so: you could have
*installed* Enterprise, and then *loaded* the others, for the purpose of
creating a network install server that was capable of feeding out
installs of all three bundles.  You can check this by running `custom`
and clicking on each of the bundles in turn.  At the bottom of the
custom window, a line appears that reads variously "The selected
software is fully installed", "The selected software is partially
installed", "The selected software is not installed", or "The selected
software is loaded only".  (There are corresponding icons as well; and
you can see the same messages in the character version of `custom`, but
it's clumsier to operate, so if possible use the graphical version.)

Loaded-only or not-installed software is not a problem.

If two or three of the bundles show up as "fully" or "partially
installed", double-click on them to expand them; repeat this as
necessary, to see which specific bits of each bundle are installed.  You
are running an "Enterprise" system, so leave those alone.  Figure out
which bits of "Host" and "Open Server Software" are considered to be
installed (not just loaded).  You can do this by alternately expanding,
then clicking on specific lines and reading the message on the bottom
line.

So, figure out which pieces of "Host" & "Open Server Software" are
considered to be "fully installed".  Then think about the consequences
of removing those pieces.  For instance, if the problem was only that
["top level bundle" -> "bundle-name System Utilities" -> "Optional
Utilities" -> "Calendar"] was multiply installed, you could just remove
it from each, then reinstall it from Enterprise.  But if it was ["top
level bundle" -> "bundle-name Core OS" -> "Base Operating System"],
removing it would probably crash the system.

Note: it's *supposed* to work that if a piece is installed from more
than one bundle at once, and you remove it from only one bundle, the
software remains installed on your system (as part of the other bundle).
I do not trust this.  I also think that the exact behavior depends on
which version of `custom` you are running; versions include the one in
the original 5.0.0b distribution, an updated version that came with
5.0.0d (*possibly* with 5.0.0c, I'm not sure); the version in 5.0.2; and
the version in 5.0.4.  Basically, any time you remove something from a
bundle other than the one that's *supposed* to be installed on your
system, consider that it might get removed from *all* bundles.  Or it
might not.  So be prepared to deal with either possibility.

One way you might have gotten to where you are: you might have installed
sysadmsh from "Open Server Software".  sysadmsh isn't installed by
default, but many people like to have it available.

"Open Server Software" is the top-level bundle that is used if you have
a special "custom license" key that specifies a unique bundle (such as
25-user Unix + TCP + Virtual Disk Manager + Merge [ - X - NFS]).

Quote:>Bela<

1. Free software, open software, who honestly gives a shit?

OK, I'm sure that there are a few people out there on missions from god
or otherwise deprived enough of worthwhile things to do in life that
they feel compelled to argue this point ad-infinitum, but I just can't
see the point.

I don't think what we call this process is anywhere near as important as
making sure that we do everything we can to keep it happening, and
whatever others out there in the peanut gallery may think,
honest-to-goodness developers (vs sycophants and assorted political
mud-slingers) really just don't give a damn whether you refer to it as
free software or open source software or warm-fuzzy-hippy-beard
software; they're too busy writing code to waste time with such trivial
hair-splitting.

To put it another way, if wasting a lot of time and energy is  your bag
then by all means continue these stupid GPL vs BSD threads.  Otherwise,
please put your time into more concrete pursuits (everyone) and stop
thinking that you're achieving good things in "educating the public" by
creating 200 entry threads that the general public is probably good and
sick of by now.  I know that I certainly am. :)

-- Jordan Hubbard
   Co-founder/Release Engineer, The FreeBSD Project
   Walnut Creek CDROM

2. Maddening loss of xterm's auto-wraparound under AIX

3. Open source software: Is it the real benefit for software developers?

4. uugetty problems (and PPP)

5. eBusiness Software Product Manager - Opening - MKS

6. Will Mosix go into the standard kernel?

7. JOB OPENING: Systems Software Manager

8. ishare for Linux ?

9. I can't open software manager

10. Mounting Volume Manager File Systems without the Volume Manager software

11. Partition Software - Partition Magic, Bootit, Boot Manager or Ranish Partition Manager

12. SOFTWARE:- RedMan V2.00 (redirection manager for NCSA server)